1956 X Century at Amelia 2020

MrEarl

So thankful that Rita and I was able get to see this remarkable car. Had the event been planned for a week or two later it would likely have been canceled due to  Corona Virus concerns. 
The owner of the car, Steve Plunkett was super nice and friendly and cordially offered to give us a walk around of the car.

more to come...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:35 PM, g-g-g0 said:

That’s absolutely AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

20 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

thanks for the pics

That Buick is just so damn cool... everywhere!!!

Glad to be able to share. The car was awesome and was so good to be able to talk to the owner. When I heard it was going to be there, I knew I wanted to go. When I learned that the Y Job AND the LeSabre were going to be there as part of the Harley Earl class,  I knew I HAD to go. We pulled the Airstream down and stayed at a campground for 3 days, went to Amelia on Sunday and to Cumberland Island on Monday. Again so glad we were able to get away before the Corona Virus hit.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, qbansmokr said:

Do you know why there are 5 switches on the drivers door window master switch? Could one be for the power top?

I didn't notice that when there so no I don't know. I did notice the extra pedal on the drivers side floor board but forgot to ask about it as well as what were the functions of the toggle switches.

Check out where the driver and passenger side rear view mirrors are. Much more functional than the factory placements I'm sure

1 hour ago, MRJBUICK said:

even cooler what if one controls all 4 windows 

now that would ultra cool even today

That's an interesting speculation. My daughter has a Sebring convert, and when you put the top down, it puts all the windows down as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Mtichell and Co. were way ahead of everyone else.

Keith

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

That's an interesting speculation. My daughter has a Sebring convert, and when you put the top down, it puts all the windows down as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Mtichell and Co. were way ahead of everyone else.

Keith

My Buick Cascada does the same 

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is the website/blog referenced in the old thread referenced above. Go down to the blog for pictures and details of the work. Pictures start 2012-01-24

Some awesome work these guys did.

https://sites.google.com/site/1956xcentury/home

Wonderbar radios have s seek button on the floor.  Looks like a dimmer switch and is usually located just to the left of the brake pedal. Enlarging the picture that gives a good view of the radio shows that the radio looks to have a seek bar like other Wonderbar radios.  I'll go 20:1 on it. 😎

And that type floor mat was an option on early Riv's and Wildcats, a rare option - I sold a few NOS sets years ago, they were identical to the optional ones in the Old's Starfire's.  In fact, even though mine wre in Buick accessory boxes, an Olds guy bought them 

I get wondering about those narrow whitewalls. I am no expert at all when it comes to tire styles, but could those narrow ones have a been some kind of a special custom made tires?

If a guy like me calls up Goodyear, for instance, and says, "Hey I'd like a special whitewall" there'd tell ME to go take a hike, but if you're Bill Mitchell, back in the day, they might of just done it.

Pure crazy speculation on my part, of course.

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The current owner told me that the ventiports differed than stock ones as well, he said the bubble out of the fender further than the factory ones and the ventiports themselves were slightly bigger, I had not seen or heard that prior.  Don't know if that was factual or not.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:14 AM, Y-JobFan said:

The current owner told me that the ventiports differed than stock ones as well, he said the bubble out of the fender further than the factory ones and the ventiports themselves were slightly bigger, I had not seen or heard that prior.  Don't know if that was factual or not.

yea I question that too, I couldn’t tell that they were any different. The owner referred to them as blistered out I think was his term 

On 3/30/2020 at 1:12 PM, Buicknutty said:

I get wondering about those narrow whitewalls. I am no expert at all when it comes to tire styles, but could those narrow ones have a been some kind of a special custom made tires?

If a guy like me calls up Goodyear, for instance, and says, "Hey I'd like a special whitewall" there'd tell ME to go take a hike, but if you're Bill Mitchell, back in the day, they might of just done it.

Pure crazy speculation on my part, of course.

Amy

This car was designed around the same time as the Cadillac Eldorado  Brougham which used narrow stripe whitewalls as well. Maybe a joint effort.

• Like 2