Reatta values, a Cargirls story

Today it was time to say goodbye to my 4th Reatta. She was a beauty! It was Barrett Jackson weekend this past week in Scottsdale. Many of the buyers go to the Pavilions in Scottsdale to check out the local offerings. I took the car on Saturday morning after waxing it with Griots garage spray on wax and hung a for sale sign on it as all the buyers checked it out. Within 5 minutes I had 3 people that offered to buy the car. Number one that approached me took delivery today, he was a happy man (not a collector however, wanted a toy.) Needless to say, I got full asking price for the car with all the sharks in the water. Barrett Jackson sets the price??  Hardly. It attracts buyers but to get a decent price unless your selling a 1963 split window restomod Corvette with all the modern amenities your not in the right place. My opinion, theses cars get good money for well  taken care of cars. 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Cargirl said:

Today it was time to say goodbye to my 4th Reatta. She was a beauty! It was Barrett Jackson weekend this past week in Scottsdale. Many of the buyers go to the Pavilions in Scottsdale to check out the local offerings. I took the car on Saturday morning after waxing it with Griots garage spray on wax and hung a for sale sign on it as all the buyers checked it out. Within 5 minutes I had 3 people that offered to buy the car. Number one that approached me took delivery today, he was a happy man (not a collector however, wanted a toy.) Needless to say, I got full asking price for the car with all the sharks in the water. Barrett Jackson sets the price??  Hardly. It attracts buyers but to get a decent price unless your selling a 1963 split window restomod Corvette with all the modern amenities your not in the right place. My opinion, theses cars get good money for well  taken care of cars. 

Although it proves me wrong, I'm very happy to hear that. I can stand to be wrong all day long when I hear good news like that. :)

12 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

I have said all along a low mileage impeccable Reatta will bring the money, and it’s proven yet again, but the naysayers will still continue.  

I am glad for Cargirl and what you say is correct about a pristine Reatta. They will bring the money.

But until the day that a Reatta parts car sells for what a 1960's-1970's Barracuda parts car does, I will say these cars are pretty much just drivers with no real appreciation. Even Cargirl said her car was going to be a "toy" car for the guy who bought it.

Ask Ronnie or 2seater about my 1989 Red Reatta coupe as they both have seen it in person. It has 295,000 miles on it and looks like it has less then 50,000. 9-10 body and paint, 9-10 interior, rebuilt engine/tranny and wouldn't get $3000.00. But that's okay as I drive my car every day in the summer and got my money's worth out of the enjoyment of driving it.

Another example... Just last fall I bought an early [suede 16 way seats, early horn button and early Teves unit]1988 Black/Tan "Silver" award winner for $1000.00 It's future? Next year's winter driver. 

The guys who drive their cars daily are helping you guys get better value on your low mileage pristine cars by getting their cars out there to be seen and burning them up till they're junk/parts cars.

Over the years I have seen two camps of Reatta owners. The buy and drive crowd and the buy and view crowd. No one is right or wrong, but for me I don't see the value of buying a car and keeping it for any number of years and selling it for about what they bought it for with only putting a couple of thousand miles on it. 

For the record I'm not trying to be "right" I am just voicing my opinion and once again good for Cargirl and anyone else who gets a premium price for their Reatta.

And there is the rub. I'm not sure the Reatta is a collector car. Cargirl sold a pristine low mileage convertible. A Cuda, Road Runner, Mustang, Chevelle, Camaro, Corvette, etc are collector cars. A Reatta not so much.

But maybe that will change over yet more time. In the meantime you store yours and I'll drive mine...

On 1/23/2020 at 5:01 PM, DAVES89 said:

And there is the rub. I'm not sure the Reatta is a collector car. Cargirl sold a pristine low mileage convertible. A Cuda, Road Runner, Mustang, Chevelle, Camaro, Corvette, etc are collector cars. A Reatta not so much.

But maybe that will change over yet more time. In the meantime you store yours and I'll drive mine...

i love my 91 vert got a good deal on it had to do work but that's ok and knew that going in, i try to drive it as much as possible so agree DRIVE THEM TO ENJOY THEM

but saying that real low mileage original perfect ones should be preserved. 

as far as will a Reatta ever be a collector car, back in the mid 70's to early 80's 1 walked away from 3 different GSX's between $3000 to $6500 dollars because they all had something wrong with them all running good looking cars, but before the market went wild. i think one just went through Barrett Jackson for $183,000.

Give them time Reatta's will find their mark in the mean time we can have all the fun with them we want with plenty out there and in junk yards for spare parts.

• Like 1

I did say the car went to a guy as a toy. Isn't that true for 95 percent of classic cars sold? Very few in the grand scheme of car sales are truly collectors, buy and hold 20 years. Most people buy em, drive em, show em then sell em. From seeing Mecum, Barrett Jackson....rich guys collecting toys to show thier friends. High mile rough drivers like old Camaros, mustangs go pretty cheap here in Arizona. With our weather and no snow, you still see old drivers out here that don't fetch much money.

Trouble is that the same thing that makes it a great road car, also makes it a blah collector car and some of the styling cues (coupe rear window) are "unfortunate". Personally think a Crossfire Coupe is a much better looking car and can be had with a 6 speed pretty cheap around here. It just does not have enough space for a real touring car.

Performance is somewhat lacking though, suspect my 6 cyl Grand Cherokee is faster (290hp/6500 redline and that's the base engine).

Talk about a car that tanked, the Crossfire was supposed to be an instant collectible and they all but give them away now. Cramped inside with no luggage space as mentioned make them very limited in use.  Plus the ride is harsh. They look nice is about the most you can say good.  I agree with the rear window on the Reatta coupe being unfortunate. They should have given it the same roof line as the convertible.  

EBF20AF5-F731-4C43-8064-8A5DD5B63DE9.png

• Like 1

Had a Crossfire Coupe with six-speed for a few years. Six years old and less than 20% of MSRP. Reasonable luggage space under the hatch but no spare tire. After taking a sawzall to the bulkhead and reshaping the seat it was very comfortable for hours on end. Second and third gear out of a toll booth was a joy. '90 Reatta 'vert was the hardest car to sell I've ever had and needed nothing.

OTOH my '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee at 8 years is still worth about 50% of MSRP and CTS coupe has more room / is faster than Crossfire but not as good looking.

minnowsm.jpg

We are painfully aware of how hard it was for you to sell your Reatta, again it was well sorted out one but was still in driver condition and confusing being sold with various styles of wheels.  Plus you had it priced at a price that MUCH lower mileage ones were selling for for a long time before you conceded that a higher mileage car wasn’t going to pull that money 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

Oher cars with lower milage but needing much I had already done (e.g. new Haartz top with heated glass rear window, cold 134 AC, rebuilt headlamps...).  Oh well, into retractables now.