Hemmings Concours not returning to Lake George

Billy Kingsley

Yesterday I asked Hemmings on Twitter what the date was for the Hemmings Concours this year. I'm not particularly happy with the reply, because I loved it being there. My favorite thing (old cars) at my favorite place...doesn't get much better. At least I got to attend all three held there.

Twitter Hemmings.png

Unfortunately Goodguys is no longer held here. The last show was 2018. I heard they moved it to Pennsylvania somewhere. The Rhinebeck May show has been going on for almost 50 years, the Hudson Valley Region of the AACA is one of the 6 clubs that put it on. It's the only car show I know of where they are sorted by type of car, instead of just random "Park in whatever order you arrive".  I really love that show, missed it last year unfortunately. I missed out on the Brass Era event, would love to have seen that. 

Probably something Lake George did to shoot themselves in the foot.  They try hard to do it.  They were concerned with my garage being unsightly in the woods,  no where near the village.  I went for a walk with the wife today,  down in the village and right there in the middle of town right off rte 9 is a huge Boat storage building they put up.  Blue and white tin building.  Looks terrible and is right on the property lines plus looks to be 30 foot tall.  My building is 200 feet from the property line over a hill and looks like this.  I can't believe they let them build that without atleast some kind of pleasing facade on the side that faces the residential area.  It's all politics.  I'm surprised I wasn't visited for an encouragement payment to get my project approved. 

IMG_5406.JPG

• Like 1

I tried to find a picture but couldn't.  The building is bad enough but the fact it's 10 feet from the road and 30 feet tall dwarfing the nice little craftsman house across the side street.  There is an article about it in the Post Star if you search it.  They give a rendition of what it would look like,  but it looks worse in person and doesn't show how close it is to the road/ property lines or adjacent structures.  You can also scratch those trees as there is no place for roots if planted. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

The Roosevelt Spa in Saratoga is the nicest show venue I have ever attended in my opinion, better than Amelia Island as far as setting.  The old buildings with the reflecting pool and the Guideon Putnam hotel make for a great place for a weekend trip where there is something for non car people to do as well.  I would return to that venue for sure.  Pictured is my 63 Thunderbird Sports Roadster.

63 Saratoga 5.jpg

Edited by Avanti Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I never actually went to the Concours day.  Too expensive and I was too busy but I did put the Hudson in the general show on Saturday more to show it off so people could see one,  not that it deserved any kind of award,  and 25 for entry wasn't bad.  Cheaper than being a spectator and I got premium parking.   It's a shame.  i was planning on taking the 51 Dodge Roadster this year as again,  one of those cars you never get to see.  Looks like i better make sure to register it for the Zoo Nationals the week before. 

11 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I never actually went to the Concours day.  Too expensive and I was too busy but I did put the Hudson in the general show on Saturday more to show it off so people could see one,  not that it deserved any kind of award,  and 25 for entry wasn't bad.  Cheaper than being a spectator and I got premium parking.   It's a shame.  i was planning on taking the 51 Dodge Roadster this year as again,  one of those cars you never get to see.  Looks like i better make sure to register it for the Zoo Nationals the week before. 

The last time I went the Concours day was a slightly upscale version of Saturday.   That Dodge would have been very cool to see, and from what I saw, you could have brought it either day.

We went in 2017. I agree about the judging - terrible. That year the best of show winner would not run and was pushed through the trophy presentation. Kind of embarrassing I thought. VSCCA had an event in Saratoga last year. I agree, a fabulous venue. The wife and I arrived a hour early and the lady in the museum invited us in for coffee and gave us a private tour. Very nice people.

I don't know anything about judging. I know that all three years I attended I saw multiple kinds of cars I'd never seen before. I didn't even stay for the judging last year, I went and watched the French and Indian War reenactment instead, which happened to be going on in Battlefield Park right across the street. 

The Saratoga Automobile Museum hosts multiple shows in the park with the reflection pool. I went to two last year, and really enjoyed them. Got a ride in a 1913 Model T in May! Really looking forward to that one again. 

I have not seen the new building in town yet. Last time I got there was the day of the Concours. If it was there then I must have been distracted by the cars...very much a possibility knowing me!

I participated in the Concours back in 2010 when it was held at Stratton Mountain, Vermont. The wife and kids had a great time shopping in the village and taking the snow lift rides on the ski slopes for the views. I was not there when the judging team came around to judge my car, but was surprise to find out that I came in second place in the Preservation Class.

Steve

Photo File #2 268.JPG

Photo File #2 265.JPG

Photo File #2 337.JPG

• Like 1

Most Concours Judging is whimsical, the story you have to tell is often more important than the condition of the car.  Though recently I have been to a couple that have function tests which used to be used to break a tie.  I like the format and the people I meet and get to talk to about the car.

There is an element of all judging that is subjective. Concours judging is more subjective than most and with a wide variation between different concours events. I find the events where I win an award very fair. The ones where I don't win the judging is just awful...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1