1929 CHRYSLER 65 wooden or wire wheels

I have wooden spoke wheels which have some slight movement where the small round section of the spoke goes into the steel rim .  Trying to decide which way to go, have them rebuilt or change  to wire wheels .  Is it possible to find brake drum / hub assemblies and wire wheels . Any thoughts / ideas would be appreciated, thanks

In the old days to cure this problem, they used to park the car in a river for some hours, so the wooden spokes would swell. How often they did that I'm not sure. You obviously don't want to do that with a restored car today.

I would find someone who rebuilds wood wheels and ask their advice. I believe Coker Tire have a rebuilding service and also some Amish people can still do this work.

Viv, please note, our friend in need is in New Zealand. Hopefully he has a wheelwright fairly near him. If it were me, I would respoke the wheels. I'm with Jimmy. Now those stout wood spoke wheels on his '32 really do look fabulous !    -   Carl 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies. Yes I rather like the wooden spoke wheels,   the car isn’t original , it was cut down  into a roadster pick up many years ago  and the wooden wheels suit it.  There  is a wheel wright down here  which I will contact  and take it from  there, in the mean time  the offending wheel has had the ethylene glycol treatment