Dynaflash8

Buick Dynaflow Transmission

Certainly not my favorite color, but my '56 Special was three tone and the hood and top area was pink (I guess Coral), bottom yellow, top yellow.  I repainted it the original colors.  Pretty cold up in Fredericksburg today isn't it?  I wish I still lived in Montross.  I also was a member of the Historic Fredericksburg Region and I started the Northern Neck Region in 1993.

10 hours ago, Elpad said:

At one point we have to meet!

I would look at that '57 Buick Super in Miami that is on eBay, but it's too much money and '57s had a lot of mechanical engineering problems.  I think the '53-'55 was the cleanest Buick of the late fifties insofar as mechanical problems is concerned.  If I bought one of the '55s that "Old Tank" has I know it would be good all the way through.  He drove one all the way from Texas to Allentown, PA and back for the 50th Anniversary show of the Buick Club

• Like 1

It was cold yesterday, but warm today, even with a sprinkle of rain I was working outside at work. Should be warm in the daytime for at least a week now. That 32 degree high was NO FUN! When not at work I'm roughing in my daughter's house. For a week it was too cold to glue pipe together.....😡

Northern Neck still going. Got an email from them yesterday asking about our HFR show. April this year.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I've been looking at a 56 Buick Roadmaster with a Dynaflow transmission.  It works okay now, but what if it has a problem?  The only shop I know of in South Central Florida has stopped doing transmissions altogether.  Does anyone know of a transmission shop in Central or South Central Florida that will do an old Buick Dynaflow (prior to 1961 the rear end has to be pulled back to remove the transmission)?  It would be dangerous to buy a car that nobody will work on unless you can do the work  yourself.

If you happen to find someone who works on Dynaflows in Florida, please let me know. Mine has a leak and I may be looking to overhaul it in the future. 1950 Buick in the Lakeland area. 

So far I haven't heard from anybody else.  There may be a shop somewhere in Orlando or Tampa, or maybe Miami, but nobody around here (Sebring).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MoparMadnz said:

If you happen to find someone who works on Dynaflows in Florida, please let me know. Mine has a leak

Everything I have read on this forum suggests that you need to start worrying when your Dynaflow stops leaking!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just buy a drip pan, some oil dry, and keep a couple of bottles of ATF on the shelf.  Pretty common routine for the owner of a 'Dynaflush.'

23 hours ago, EmTee said:

Everything I have read on this forum suggests that you need to start worrying when your Dynaflow stops leaking!

There is a 1956 Buick Super that just came on Ebay, sitting on flat whitewalls in the middle of a collection of cars that will not move.  It looks like a nice car and is located in Dalton, GA.  Man says Dynaflow is shot and it won't move under it's own power.   This is a collector or dealer and he can't find a place to fix the Dynaflow?  Point made.

Doesn't look like he has tried to find a repair either. But that is a nice car overall. And worth a bid or two. He says the tranny slips. Dynaflow owners know that symptom and can likely fix that situation in one trip to Walmart.

• Like 1

Same thing will affect the ST400.  I got a really good deal on a 64 Riviera because it would not move when put into gear.  Dumped a bunch of ATF into it and drove it onto the trailer.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Not unusual for ANY automatic transmission to dump fluid over the floor after it sits a looong time. Some not so long.😁

The torque converter seal gets weak, and it finally shrinks enough to let a little air in, and the fluid flows out.  Used to happen in my shop with long term projects of several makes. Just top up the fluid, drive them and they are fine. 

Just  another older car issue, part of what I call "sitting disease", which includes evaporating DOT 3 and gasoline.

• Like 1