national show winner record?

Guest Mark McAlpine

If you contact AACA HQ, they may be able to help you.  If would help if you have the name of the previous owner (assuming they were an AACA member and owned the car when it received its award) and the car's VIN.

I never have noticed one before without a date.  AACA once published a book with all of the winners of Junior and Senior cars.  I've found two recently, one in 2000 and one in 2002 in my copy of that book.  Now they print a  yearly record, so you have to keep each yearly addendum in order to have the full picture.  In the old book, you got the name and place of the Junior happening.  It was like a forever record and published every year in full, but it was getting very expensive to publish and send to all the members. For awhile you could buy it, but there were not enough buyers to even make that cost effective.  For all I know, maybe it is published somewhere on line, but I don't think so.

No, I think it just predates when they started putting the year on it.  I recommend you write to www.aaca1.org and tell him what the car is and the year. He will, hopefully, know when they started putting the year on it.  I think one of my cars has a plaque dated 1980.  I assume this is a very old car.  If you know the names of previous owners going back before 1980 I might be able to find him in my book.  But also, the classes have changed a few times since the 1960's for those very old cars.  The book goes back to 1957.  I never could understand why any member wouldn't have paid $4 or $8 for one, whatever it turned out to be.  It's like not keeping any dates and names for World Series winners in baseball.  That simply doesn't happen.  This shouldn't either.

I heard back from Rick Gawel and this is what he said.

we have no way of verifying it.  If you can dig up information I will try to help you,  but with no date on the award or winner number, there is nothing. 

AACA has been around since 1935 there are thousands of cars in the data base.

I don't know what the records in your book look like but it would have to show it to be a 1924 Ford Model T First prize winner.

Thanks for your interest.

• 5 months later...

I have got a ‘winner’ too. It’s a Pierce Arrow model 43 from 1931. The year isn’t good readable. Maybe 1989?

i have 2 possible owners. Mr Wright (Sanford) and mr Blakesly (Ohio). The serialnumber is 3026078.

who can help me?

06C85C35-F293-42F7-AFBE-C82FA60006DF.jpeg

5D0AA7DC-823C-42B9-9A1E-0E779AE3632A.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Norman Smit said:

have got a ‘winner’ too. It’s a Pierce Arrow model 43 from 1931. The year isn’t good readable. Maybe 1989?

i have 2 possible owners. Mr Wright (Sanford) and mr Blakesly (Ohio). The serialnumber is 3026078.

who can help me?

Whose serial number?  3026078 is not a Model 43 serial or engine number.  I may be able to help with prior owners who registered the car with Pierce-Arrow Society if you can provide either the 7-number serial (chassis) number or the 6-number engine number.

24 minutes ago, Norman Smit said:

Where van I find the chassis number?

Your photo is of the block casting number, common to a number of different years and models.

The SERIAL (chassis) number consists of 7 numbers and is stamped onto a rectangular aluminum plate riveted to the outside of the frame behind one of the front wheels (may be left or right side).  Often these have been removed as souvenirs or during restoration, and not replaced.  The number on title doesn't correspond with a 1931 43, so it may be a typographical error.  Not uncommon.  *IF* we can identify the specific car by either serial or engine number, or by the body number (harder to find) the PAS may be able to help you sort this out.  Blank reproduction serial number plates (you have to have them stamped with your correct number) are available from Classic Car Club of Southern California.

The ENGINE number consists of 6 numbers and (decoded) will tell year, model, and factory displacement.  Look on the center of the left side of your engine, just below the cylinder head and above the water pump, and look for a small rectangular flat space or "boss," in which a six-digit number will be stamped.

I see that you are a new member of PAS--congratulations, you will find the people of PAS to be very helpful.  https://www.pierce-arrow.org/members/serial-number-and-identification/ 

If that link doesn't work for you, go to the home page as www.pierce-arrow.org then click on "About Us" and in the drop-down menu select "serial number identification and location."  There are photos there to help.

Engine no. 225004 is the group of 1931 model 43 engines.  PAS records show that engine was in a car with serial (chassis) number 1500007 and body number 137-S-11 (5-passenger sedan).  It was registered with us ca. 1965 and at that time was owned by Drew McFarland III, MD, of Lebanon, Tennessee (TN).  No one else has claimed ownership with PAS through 2005.  From the engine number, the chassis number, and the body number, that car appears to be a very early 1931.

I've run a computer search of all our records for the number 3026078 with no records found, but...

1930 Model A, 144" wheelbase cars, used a serial number range beginning 3025001 through (last number known to have ever been built) 3026146.  Your 3026078 is within that range but PAS has no record of THAT number ever having been registered with us.  My personal assessment is that the serial tag on your car is a reproduction that has not been stamped properly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 11:15 AM, jaytee2020 said:

I heard back from Rick Gawel and this is what he said.

we have no way of verifying it.  If you can dig up information I will try to help you,  but with no date on the award or winner number, there is nothing. 

AACA has been around since 1935 there are thousands of cars in the data base.

I don't know what the records in your book look like but it would have to show it to be a 1924 Ford Model T First prize winner.

Thanks for your interest.

What has happened to the winners book?  It used to be published every year.  If the man knows the year the car won, he might still be able to figure it out with the winners book.  I never agreed with the decision to stop publishing it.  Used to cost $4 as I recall.  I have a number of them on my bookshelf.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 12:20 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

I recommend you write to www.aaca1.org and tell him what the car is and the year.

You meant to say to contact Steve Moskowitz in our club office,

but what you gave would be a website address.  (There is no such

website.)

I agree that the award emblem is genuine, not fake.

When I was an early member the book was automatic and free. Later it was $4.00.  It seems to me at one point it went to $8.00, but I'm not sure that isn't a false member.  The point is, it was said not enough members would pay the $4.00 so it was stopped due to lack of interest.  I was always personally opposed to that decision.  A car or member's historical record of achievement, to me, was the most important aspect of showing and winning with a vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 11:20 PM, Grimy said:

Engine no. 225004 is the group of 1931 model 43 engines.  PAS records show that engine was in a car with serial (chassis) number 1500007 and body number 137-S-11 (5-passenger sedan).  It was registered with us ca. 1965 and at that time was owned by Drew McFarland III, MD, of Lebanon, Tennessee (TN).  No one else has claimed ownership with PAS through 2005.  From the engine number, the chassis number, and the body number, that car appears to be a very early 1931.

I've run a computer search of all our records for the number 3026078 with no records found, but...

1930 Model A, 144" wheelbase cars, used a serial number range beginning 3025001 through (last number known to have ever been built) 3026146.  Your 3026078 is within that range but PAS has no record of THAT number ever having been registered with us.  My personal assessment is that the serial tag on your car is a reproduction that has not been stamped properly.

BA0CAA40-CF81-435A-9E5A-3D75FA8DDDF7.jpeg

FA933129-9CBC-4B84-B20B-0613BA66AF69.jpeg

DA6E2CBB-B804-4C72-A419-E169C5FD7D4C.jpeg

Herebe some better pictures of the serialnumber.

the wheelbase of this PA is 137

I have googled in Drew McFarland III. I found in the bumper guardian of 1969 (3th) a picture from mr McFarland, looks the same as my PA. This PA is introduced as a model 41.......