mikewest

WHAT is this teens CHASSIS?? see the side springs...

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

This possible 1914 Buick has a similar rear spring and axle setup....https://www.nwvs.org/CarPhotos/UC002/UC002.shtml

Keiser it looks to me like it has front wheel brakes so would possibly date it later at around  the early 1920's?  Looks to be a substantial vehicle whatever it is.

The motor should be a dead giveaway  but it looks not familiar to me either?

Other than the cantilever rear springs , nothing looks Buick.

Greg 

19 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Other than the cantilever rear springs , nothing looks Buick.

Greg 

Greg I agree ,. The motor is in the barn and not even sure from the pictures it belongs to this chassis. The front brakes suggests 1920s. Te size of the frame rails looks like 4-5 nch in height. The chassis looks modified for sure. I haven't seen it in person.

Is that long "tube" or "pipe" on top, curving toward the rear a steering column? (Can't quite make that out). If so, is it mounted in place now? That would put the driver way back towards the rear axle, almost like some kind of homemade tractor, built from a modified car/truck chassis. 

If that is a permanently mounted (bent) steering column, it would be interesting to check out that closely and see if it has been crudely fabricated by a farmer, or if it is some unique and fascinating factory made column. Maybe it is an important clue? 

More likely the steering column got bent when the chassis was turned upside down or thrown off a hay wagon.

• Like 1

Any possibility that it’s a Chevrolet missing the third spring mounted across the back? The steering column looks like it had the spark and throttle rods running down the outside which is what makes me think that...

The engine looks to be not very big. In contrast the gearbox looks to be quite substantial.

Yes as others have noted - cantilever rear springs, four wheel brakes, and wooden wheels. 

Odd straight chassis with no kick up. Perhaps that braked front axle is a later addition?

11 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Any possibility that it’s a Chevrolet missing the third spring mounted across the back? The steering column looks like it had the spark and throttle rods running down the outside which is what makes me think that...

I think you are thinking of platform springing. Cadillac and a few other bigger cars used that idea pre WW1. The car here looks lighter.

Hopefully someone will proved more info - like wheelbase measurement. Also rough guesstimate of the engine size. Even if it does not belong - any casting marks or number would help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikewest said:

Greg I agree ,. The motor is in the barn and not even sure from the pictures it belongs to this chassis. The front brakes suggests 1920s. Te size of the frame rails looks like 4-5 nch in height. The chassis looks modified for sure. I haven't seen it in person.

Is it possible to have someone look at the front hubs to see if there is a grease cap which might identify the make or at least the make of the front axle.   That gearbox /clutch set up looks fairly unique.

The whole thing seems unique...  I need to get some good pictures. Ill post when I get them . The motor doesn't look familiar at all.Ive been around a lot of old iron. Maybe its not US built?

What is clear is that it was some sort of roadster/speedster. The fact that the chassis doesn't even reach the rear end tells us that the body must have been very short. There isn't room there for any more than a couple of seats and a gas tank.

The engine is a Sterling, the same as that is used in a Monroe, and I don't think it's a Monroe. I understand Sterling engines were used in a few cars, I'll look through my MoToR books tonight and see what else used them. That drilled rear cross -member is quite special.

Photos of a Sterling engine are in this thread. Some Scripps-Booth cars had cantilever rear springs, but none match this chassis. But as it has been mentioned, the engine may not belong to the chassis.

16 hours ago, Craig Gillingham said:

The engine is a Sterling, the same as that is used in a Monroe, and I don't think it's a Monroe. I understand Sterling engines were used in a few cars, I'll look through my MoToR books tonight and see what else used them. That drilled rear cross -member is quite special.

Craig, You have a good eye! You nailed it what the motor is. Ill have my friend in Queensland give you a reward! Now if we can figure out the chassis. Thank you Mike