Lower front shock mounting plates 32 Chrysler

Looking for a set of lower front shock mounting plates.  These would be the two plates (one passenger side, one drivers side) that bolt to the U bolts upfront to receive the “eyebolt” at the bottom of the dog bone hanging from the shock arm.... or at least I think they bolt onto the U bolts, I don’t have anything to go from, I just know that I have no way to mount the threaded portion of the eyebolt at the lower end of the dog bone.  (Eye bolt and dog bone  pictured)

Thanks, JimmyS 

3C768375-B41D-496C-AE99-EA9008AF4046.jpeg

EB6350BD-1475-4E8D-B2B7-5CB8C7F9CC7A.jpeg

Edited by JimmyS (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, ckowner said:

Hi Jimmy

If that is the same as the 1930 DeSoto, that bottom eye bolt bolts through the hole in the axle to the left of your pointing finger on the picture.

Rick

There is no hole in the axle. I believe it is this setup....

IMG_6857 (2).JPG

IMG_6859 (2).JPG

I think the piece shown above is homemade, sorta serves the purpose. i have these on my '31 Chrysler CD8.  They are sorta C shaped, bolt to axle/spring U bolts as shown (in fact forward leg of U bolt is longer to accommodate these), and the C allows them to clear the molded part of under-side of axle. They have a down-sweep where shock eye bolts on, and are mirror images left and right. About 5/16" thick.  Sorry, don't have any spares!

IMG_6069.JPG

IMG_6066.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke
added photos and more detail (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

I think the piece shown above is homemade, sorta serves the purpose. i have these on my '31 Chrysler CD8.  They are sorta C shaped, bolt to axle/spring U bolts as shown (in fact forward leg of U bolt is longer to accommodate these), and the C allows them to clear the molded part of under-side of axle. They have a down-sweep where shock eye bolts on, and are mirror images left and right. About 5/16" thick.  Sorry, don't have any spares!

IMG_6069.JPG

IMG_6066.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

No....that piece is NOT homemade. Both of my 1931 DBs have those brackets. It may be that the 8 cylinder cars have a different bracket or maybe the Chrysler bracket is simply different than the Dodge Brothers items. I know for a fact that these two cars of mine have original brackets. Here is one on my second '31 DB coupe....same as on my first '31 DB coupe....

IMG_6862 (2).JPG

Sorry K31, didn't mean to offend, but the difference in design and detail between the CD8 ones and what you showed was so much. Also I noticed the U-bolt nut in your first picture was a bit outside end of plate, not something I would expect to see on an original manufactured piece. As you can see on the Chrysler ones, the axle forging has slightly recessed spots and a pronounced stiffening web for this to bolt on, so a flat plate would not work without the C cutout. OP did not indicate Chrysler model, may be different 6cyl versus 8 cyl.  

• Thanks 1

No offense taken whatsoever, Gunsmoke. We are all here to learn and share. I believe (if I remember from so long ago) that there is actually a depression under the spring bolt nuts on the plate. I was 18 or 19 when I disassembled that stuff and painted it. I am 67 now, so....it's been a while. I figured the 8 cylinder cars would have a beefier bracket than my 6 cylinder DB. Now I need to see the items on the Dodge DG8 to see if those are the same as on the CD8.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  The model is a CI Six, I’ve noticed several differences between 6’s and 8’s, and several differences between Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth the DeSoto’s seem to share the most in common with the Chryslers. Until an original set for a CI show up, Keiser31’s Dodge brackets are the easiest to build and I’m halfway there....

0D49411F-E652-4DAB-8718-76151EC0D404.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyS said:

Thanks guys.  The model is a CI Six, I’ve noticed several differences between 6’s and 8’s, and several differences between Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth the DeSoto’s seem to share the most in common with the Chryslers. Until an original set for a CI show up, Keiser31’s Dodge brackets are the easiest to build and I’m halfway there....

0D49411F-E652-4DAB-8718-76151EC0D404.jpeg

Do you need for me to measure the hole locations or can you get them OK?

• Thanks 1

Check underside mounting surface to confirm a flat piece will go on without interference from any casting webs etc.  Were it me, I'd be rounding off the tapered ends using the center of bolt hole as center of outer arc, and also rounding the tip on the long sides. Then some fool like me won't be thinking they are "home-made"! Chryslers were a somewhat higher end car, and they may have spent a few extra bucks detailing these pieces. Before finishing these, wait a day or 2, someone with a CI6 may chime in, I would be surprised they did not use same ones as CD8.

• Thanks 1

Gunsmoke (haha that show is on the TV right now), I see the "rib" on the casting of the underside of the axle on your CD8. I don't think the 6 cylinder cars have that and will be surprised to learn if they are, on the Chrysler.

14 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Gunsmoke (haha that show is on the TV right now), I see the "rib" on the casting of the underside of the axle on your CD8. I don't think the 6 cylinder cars have that and will be surprised to learn if they are, on the Chrysler.

I will let you guys know tonight what the underside of the CI axle looks like.  I here you Gunsmoke,  I will probably “doll these up” a bit before they go on, it’s a good starting point.  I’m hoping to find a real set from a CI but not holding my breath.

• Like 1

I still find it odd that MOPAR went to this much engineering, detailing and customization for the 8 cyl cars, and chopped off a flat piece of stock for the 6's. The loads on these struts would be virtually identical for both cars, in fact they probably used the same shocks.  

I’m still not thoroughly convinced that a Chrysler Six used the chopped off plate, I have a question in the Bob Scafani about this to see if he has a set.  Chrysler did “extras” above and beyond Dodge and Plymouth on the 6’s. 

I am however using this design until further notice! 😆

Edited by JimmyS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A little late to the game, but my 32 DL is set up the same as keiser31's 31.  A lot of grease and grime, but you can see the shock and mount in this picture taken during disassembly.

IMG_2020.thumb.jpg.5877e6af3d7cf641e1dfbd25fc9147a4.jpg

The restored parts.  You can see the longer front u-bolts for attaching the shock plate.

IMG_3775.thumb.jpg.c234d8a21a0985f4785b087915bb662c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2