Anyone 3D printing old carburetors?

Charlie kleiner

Why would you try and print one......there are easily available. The heat and complicated small passages  would make them impossible to print. Sine the UU-2 was discontinued for the UUR-2, and is the correct factory replacement unit, it would only make sense to do the UUR-2.......it’s a much better carburetor. Not all UU-2 and UUR-2 carbs are the same......as a matter of fact, they are several different bodies, tops, and all the intervals are different for each application. What do you have for a car/truck? 

F551C02B-3F93-45E6-9210-B091D498B433.jpeg

01EFC751-77CD-439E-B64E-FDC80E49AF82.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

There were three types of UU-2’s made.........and they were all trouble back in the day. The pot metal is failing on 90 percent of them. Depending on condition, you can rebuild them. Replacing all the bad parts and calibration of the unit is rather expensive. If you have a good body, upper, and cover.............you will be in much better shape than most. Post some photos. How is your intake and exhaust manifold? They often have problems, as well as your fuel pump. What model or series is the car? Commander, President?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I am in total agreement with Ed in both the current condition of most of the pre-1933 pot metal and the fact that these bodies would be exceptionally difficult to print.

However, should you, or someone else, opt to ignore the advice from Ed and myself; I can probably provide the original Stromberg prints for any/all of these castings.......at a price.

Jon.

Please don't read more into my post than my simple question. All owners of these affected cars are painfully aware of the shortcomings of these carburetors and the reasons leading to their demise. No doubt, anyone hungrily buying up every core that hits the street, will not like good reproductions on the market. Thanks for you input.

Hi Charlie ! Being a purchaser of extremely high quality reproduction parts, I just can't imagine anyone not being pleased with having more such products on the market. Better than original, sure, they are not popcorn cheap. Not withstanding, in my experience they would be a bargain at twice the price. Do a realistic market analysis with your eyes wide open before you start prototype development.   -    Carl 

Thanks Carl. The truth is that rather than handling the printing or contracting out, I was hoping that someone was already doing the job and selling Stromberg bodies. The company I work for is involved with advanced manufacturing including 3D printing. A couple of our engineers that I've spoken with are confident that the process for this application is quite practical. At the moment, I have way too many irons in the fire but printing bodies is always in the back of my mind. 

Cheers 

Charlie