Visitors from the North.

edinmass

We have family from up north down here in southern Florida visiting for a couple of weeks. This morning’s treat is a drive along the ocean down to Delray Beach for breakfast watching the sunrise come up while heading south. It’s always a treat to give people rides. Yes, you can drive your antique car in the dark,  you don’t need a 12 volt electrical system. Don’t need halogen headlights. Correctly prepared prewar cars are fun and reliable. 

579F7605-D670-4B4E-BEB1-D54DC4BC2F2F.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine once had a beast of a car. It was a Duesenberg powered Grand Prix replica racer built on a Stutz chassis.It had a hand built aluminum body, with side pipes and no mufflers. A section of the 401 freeway had just opened and he decided one dark night to unleash the thing. He blew past a police cruiser at about 120 MPH. They never even gave chase.Must have figured it was an apparition , much like the one in your photo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back in the day, rt 441 (Military Highway) was so far out in the boonies to be uninhabited (civilization ended just across the FEC railroad tracks). Was a popular place to test cars for Sebring & the Daytona Continental. Understand things are different now.

Gunsmoke.......I did my time in New England.........shoveling and plowing snow. I seem to enjoy snow more now than ever........I feel much better that others are dealing with it while I drive along the beach in a pre war car! 👍👍👍

PS- beautiful home........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

I wish I was in Florida. It was 6 degrees in Nebraska this morning. And will be minus 0 tomorrow...📉

I hate to be one of "those" guys, but as a Minnesotan I can tell you that minus 0 is pretty much the same as 0, and even plus 0 isn't all that different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I remember my algebra teacher repeating over and over..............adding a negative is the same as subtracting a positive......

whatever that means.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed You are really missing the fun.  Went out in the shop Friday and the heater was out.  (just like it did a few times last winter)  Of course it was at the end of the day just as it was getting dark and the wife was headed to work.   Did the usual cleaning of the Inside fuel line that cokes up, that didn't fix it,  so i went outside and changed the filter.  Looked really clean still,  but must be some condensation from that severe warm up froze in it as that did the trick.  

Went to plow everything out with the tractor after deciding to hand shovel the 600 foot driveway as it does a better job and we like to walk it at night,  only to find out the new Block heater in the tractor crapped out.  That makes 3.  The first was bad when I bought it used a couple of years old, the next one from Kioti never worked as antifreeze leaked right out of the center of it right after installing it.  This one  a non Kioti Worked twice last winter after I put it in and 3 times this year.  Now it's dead.  Doesn't trip the GFI,  just doesn't work.  They are starting to test my patience because when you need the tractor to start,  you need it to start.  Not roll the dice and hope.   It's like ground hog day around here. 

I would much rather deal with the heat than Cold.  

Don't get wind burn or a sun burn when you are out in the J. 

• Like 1

Randy........you gotta buy the Duesenberg J of tractors...........I have a John Deere 790 ...........sits outside for weeks in winter and fires off without any issue.............you need to “move up” into the big league “ACD” type tractor..........just saying.

If it makes you feel better, I got a bit of sunburn on the beach today while you were shoveling. Wish I knew of you hardships with the snow and tractor.......it would have helped me enjoy the beach even more. 😎

PS- the 790 is for sale......and I can deliver it....240 hours on it. Like new.

80D2E53B-F8E6-458D-8C85-EE0198BD17CC.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, padgett said:

We have birds also.

boids800.jpg

We do to.  Usually a flock of Turkeys hangs around here,  but I haven't seen them in a few days.  I think one of the neighbors feeds them so they stay in their yard alot more in the winter.   All we have now are deer that keep going after my bushes up in the garden. 

This is Ralph. Been living in our pool area for about eight weeks now. Down here we call them chicken of the trees. You just need some hot sauce! We’ve had 10 of them on the grill in the last two months. Ralph is a little bit undersized. We usually wait till they’re about 15 pounds before they go on the grill which means about 4 1/2 feet long. In case you didn’t know ....... You drink white wine with iguana  

26539991-4E0D-48D4-8BDC-2477A21514F0.png

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, edinmass said:

You just need some hot sauce! We’ve had 10 of them on the grill in the last two months. Ralph is a little bit undersized. We usually wait till they’re about 15 pounds before they go on the grill which means about 4 1/2 feet long. In case you didn’t know ....... You drink white wine with iguana  

Why does this tune come to mind?  

Craig

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I hate to be one of "those" guys, but as a Minnesotan I can tell you that minus 0 is pretty much the same as 0, and even plus 0 isn't all that different.

I was actually thinking about the mathematical context of what I said after my post...sub-zero is a better way to phrase it. 😉

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

This is Ralph. Been living in our pool area for about eight weeks now. Down here we call them chicken of the trees. You just need some hot sauce! We’ve had 10 of them on the grill in the last two months. Ralph is a little bit undersized. We usually wait till they’re about 15 pounds before they go on the grill which means about 4 1/2 feet long. In case you didn’t know ....... You drink white wine with iguana  

26539991-4E0D-48D4-8BDC-2477A21514F0.png

Not to be gauche, but down here in Cajun Country, little Ralphie would likely enjoy his Hot Tub, along with Cajun Andouille sausage, shrimp, oysters, okra, and some Tabasco sauce, and some white rice added - 

probably with good Cabernet Sauvignon,

or maybe a Six-Pack of Dixie Beer in the Longneck bottles😎, frequently followed by shrimp etouffe , boiled crawfish, and rollicking hospitality.

A Cajun is reputed to be a fun-loving Louisianan ( native born or adopted) who will eat anything which doesn’t eat him first.

• Like 1

Meant to add we were just back from a day out with our local CORSA Corvair group, but drove the 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton 80 C - 

she dwarfed her younger little cousins ,

wish I had taken the pic of them all together, but so many ‘Vair folks asking about the big Buick, and amazed at how smoothly the 320 ci straight eight purred - I just forgot 

2E396A88-6B8D-4491-8F97-360836DAD988.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2