1988 Caprice 9C1 cop car

JonW

I was a deputy sheriff in the '70s and '80s, and of all the patrol cars I drove, the square body Caprice was my favorite. I recently ran across this 1988 Caprice cop car on eBay. It has never been in police service. It was sold new to a provider of police equipment who used it as a demo car. The subsequent owners used it in parades. The last owner was the police chief in a small town in Alabama, and he had it marked with a blue roof beacon and department decals. All the police equipment works. Since I was a former LEO, he agreed to sell it to me with all the police equipment intact. The lights, siren, shotgun rack, and radios all function. I removed the roof beacon and decals. The car has 30,000 actual miles on it and is in great condition. Being a cop car, it has a 350 V8 and gauges, which were not available in the civilian Caprice, along with the usual chassis, suspension and cooling upgrades. It runs and handles great. It may show up on an AACA tour!

SYVx3xq.jpg

q7N4TDc.jpg

c5bsH8Z.jpg

• Like 6

What a great - and rare - find. I've owned two 9C-1's, a 95 and a 96, both unmarked no-spotlight cars with cloth interiors. I bought the 95 back in 2000 at 113,000 miles and sold it at 157, 000 - best beater car EVER. I bought the 96 12 years later and it was a money pit but I still enjoyed driving it.

45 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

What a great - and rare - find. I've owned two 9C-1's, a 95 and a 96, both unmarked no-spotlight cars with cloth interiors. I bought the 95 back in 2000 at 113,000 miles and sold it at 157, 000 - best beater car EVER. I bought the 96 12 years later and it was a money pit but I still enjoyed driving it.

I bought a '96 Impala SS about 10 years ago, in the teal color. It was a great car to drive, but I quickly found out it was going to be a money pit and sold it. 

• Like 1