SpinneyHill , Passes ...Sadly

ArticiferTom

After yesterday's thread asking where he was . Decided to check and his wife sadly told me he pasted peacefully in hospice on the 16th . A young man at only 64 .

He was happy ,he said to have lived most  of ten year since his liver transplant . He was still quite active until about six month ago . Even taking class with his wife to learn the New Zealand native language of Maori .

When we talked in November he knew what was imminent . He had started palliative care  and was getting his house in order . I know it was hard selling off his car and tools . He was fortunate to have his brother and car club friends step up to help finish putting his 1930 Dodge V8 back together and clean up his Studebaker and sell off some thing , all while helping take care of there orchard and homestead .

I'll post more later .

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He was a truly gentle person.   A really knowledgeable guy on technology and well-grounded in physics.

I always looked for - and liked seeing - his byline.

Please pass along to all our Digger friends that his Yank friends are grieving.

• Like 1

@Ben P., I sold many of my dad’s cars. Although sad at first, I’m glad they went to new homes and I’ve stayed friends with a few of the new owners. People grieve the memories, but the cars must be continued to be enjoyed in honor of the last owner. 

My condolences to @Spinneyhill‘s family and friends. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I looked back at some of my postings, found that I had started to exchange information and comments with Graham going back six years.  I bought some parts from him back in December, had exchanged messages just before Christmas.  I knew he was ill, but didn't know the extent of it.  I'll miss having him as part of this group.  Let's raise a toast to Graham!

• Like 10

I enjoyed his posts, but never directly messaged or spoke to him. It’s interesting that over the fifteen years or so, how many friends I have made here. Many I see only once a year.....at a Pebble, Amelia, Hershey, or some other small local event. I have bought and sold cars, parts, memorabilia.........more stuff than anyone could reasonably expect through the friends in this site......my favorite deal was when I was able to swap engines for zero dollars with another member. I had the correct numbers matching engine for his one off LeBaron roadster, and he had a numbers matching engine for my best car..........when I contacted him, he was rather dower and asked “how much money do you want for your engine......when I explained I knew he had an engine I was looking for for more than thirty years.......I suggested we just swap at Hershey in the parking lot........it worked out well for both of us.........and we keep in touch more than ten years later. Thanks to the AACA, and all the members here.....my day is much better for all the interactions the go on.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

So sorry to hear this news, I'm restoring a very rough 1931 Chrysler CD8 and had a million questions over the past 4 years on here. Seems Spinneyhill chimed in on most of them with great advice. Will miss his great contributions on here, all the best to his family and friends.

• Like 1

A wonderful man with so much knowledge, and I for one loved his occasional crustiness.  Tom, thanks for providing this sad information, and please tell Graham's wife of the outpouring of loss on this site of his legions of friends he never met face-to-face.

• Like 2

Yes, Gunsmoke he had a 1930  DC8 model here is pic . It was built for export so rhd .

He was also a avid reader and collector or auto books . Many books on crossover and parts is owned or would access through his club to help answer anyone question . That's how you get over six thousand post here and I am sure many on other forums he belonged . I know also he enjoyed the fine arts with his wife . Talked of many of classical concerts and plays they attended .He him self played instruments as a younger , I know violin and some wind instrument . A very diverse fellow for sure . 

dodge_brothers_8.jpg.5ffd616f3ca7ee88f649ea674fd53cff.jpg

• Like 4

Sad indeed-

sorry to have to note that SpinneyHill has passed from us.

His posts were the quality we all enjoy

With sincere condolences to the family, his presence here will be missed

• Like 1

An all to often sadness in this hobby where so many of our good friends and advisers are so much older than we are. And now so many of us are reaching that age where our day is coming sooner than we thought it would. 

My heart goes out to his family and close friends, their loss is much closer and more personal. 

On a personal note. Organ transplantation is a wonderful thing today. One of my longtime best friends passed away about eight years ago. All of his many close friends benefited from the kidney transplant he had received almost twenty years earlier. The massive and sudden heart failure that finally claimed him may have been connected to his kidney issues. But the quality of his life and the time spent with family, friends, and church, for all those extra years were a gift for all!

Rest in peace Graham/Spinney.

• Like 3

At first I was angered by this sad news. Life's not fair.  Maybe I am acting selfish as Spinneyhill's posts were most always valuable to me.  A respected member here in this forum, he will be missed. After the initial reaction, I realize this is life. We live. We die. It's sad that so much knowledge and help is also gone.  Spinney will be missed here. 

Now it's up to the rest of us. All of us, to pick up a few pieces where Spinney cannot anymore. Where and when we can, please help others.  Maybe a we can add some thought provoking comments to a rookie's post. Ot help pass along information that we too have learned from the great members before us. Who have also passed. For we too shall pass one day.  Please share your knowledge and experience when you can. It is much appreciated. RIP Spinneyhill.

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A car lover, a gentleman, a very knowledgeable person not afraid to share that knowledge and help a stranger. Three traits we can all aspire to obtain. He will be missed by me and I’m sure by many others. Heartfelt prayers to his family, close friends and all that will not enjoy the special person he was. 
Dave S 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Where and when we can, please help others

Keith you state this well and I think about that everyday. We all only get to "go around once" life is short and the end of the road is a lot closer then we realize.

Share the knowledge and information you may have - it not only can help someone but may otherwise brighten a day for them that otherwise was fairly dismal.

Our bond is the old cars and vehicles we cherish - we love them because they are a guaranteed thing we can always look at and think about and know they make us happy.

Sharing and helping continues the spirit of all the people that came before us to keep us inspired, learn more, and appreciate "old cars" not just for what they are but for who

designed and made them.  I have had the privilege of knowing and talking to many of the pioneers who built, drove, and designed what we now own. They were proud of what they did, were

glad to share their stories with me of their jobs when I spoke to them 50 years ago. As you state Keith "please help others - where and when you can".

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I recall once asking Spinney about his avatar.

It is of one known to me as "Mr. Natural".

He had never heard of "Mr. Natural" but simply Liked the image.

"Mr. Natural" was a creation of a guy named Crumb, He did underground comic books in San Francisco.

Crumb was also known for the Keep on Truckin guys.

One of our race promotors wanted to do a comic theme one year and I built this.

I will miss seeing my old buddy "Mr. Natural" as I called him to myself.

Mr Natural.jpeg

• Like 3

Saddened to learn of his passing. Clearly, he was a man with knowledge, skills, and experience. And importantly, he shared those priceless assets willingly. He will be missed by many. 

I offer my prayers and warm wishes for peace and comfort for his family.