ArticiferTom

SpinneyHill , Passes ...Sadly

After yesterday's thread asking where he was . Decided to check and his wife sadly told me he pasted peacefully in hospice on the 16th . A young man at only 64 .

He was happy ,he said to have lived most  of ten year since his liver transplant . He was still quite active until about six month ago . Even taking class with his wife to learn the New Zealand native language of Maori .

When we talked in November he knew what was imminent . He had started palliative care  and was getting his house in order . I know it was hard selling off his car and tools . He was fortunate to have his brother and car club friends step up to help finish putting his 1930 Dodge V8 back together and clean up his Studebaker and sell off some thing , all while helping take care of there orchard and homestead .

I'll post more later .

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 10

Oh my, that makes me sad. He was a great wealth of information and always willing to help. Guys like Graham are becoming fewer all the time. We'll have a good thought for his family.

• Like 5

Sorry to hear of this sad news!  Prayers for his family!

• Like 1

So very sorry to hear of this. I really enjoyed learning from Graham.

Yes, a man with a wealth of knowledge and a great person on this site. He will be missed.

• Like 3

He was a truly gentle person.   A really knowledgeable guy on technology and well-grounded in physics.

I always looked for - and liked seeing - his byline.

Please pass along to all our Digger friends that his Yank friends are grieving.

• Like 1

Tom, thank you for telling us.

Following threads on here, sometimes a particularly active account will go silent — and one does wonder. Certain social-media sites do memorialize or otherwise notate a deceased member’s account, but that’s too much to ask of our moderators here (there are of corse documentation and legal questions involved).

I had several rather unpleasant experiences after buying a car out of an estate. The day I bought the car was one of the happiest days of my life, taking it home however, was really rather awful — the family all cried. I felt like a grave robber. He had owned it for 50 years, it was a part of him. (I’ve thought about this a lot. When my Dad goes, I don’t think I could let people into his barns and let them go through all his stuff.)

THEN I joined the BCA, within a month my name and yr/model of the car was published in the club roster. From that I received invitations to join a local chapter and a group specific to the car. When I joined those, many members had known the car and its prior owner. None of them had any idea he had passed. That had to be one heck of a way to find out one of your friends had passed — some twit turns up with his car!

At least, that’s the way I felt. Everyone was very polite about it, but the surprise was there.

Again, I’m glad you told us,

Ben P.

Edited by Ben P.
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

@Ben P., I sold many of my dad’s cars. Although sad at first, I’m glad they went to new homes and I’ve stayed friends with a few of the new owners. People grieve the memories, but the cars must be continued to be enjoyed in honor of the last owner. 

My condolences to @Spinneyhill‘s family and friends. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

So sorry to hear Spinnyhill has passed.

I enjoyed his posts and considered them several grades above mine.

My condolences to the family, as he will be missed !!!!!!!!!!

Mike in Colorado

Very sorry to hear the news. He was always there on the Dodge forum. He will be missed indeed. Rest In Peace dear friend.

Very sad news, he was a long time contributor here and will be greatly missed. Please give our condolences to the family 

Sad indeed, I hope many here will continue to offer guidance and information the way he did for so many others.

• Like 2

He will be sorely missed around here.

I looked back at some of my postings, found that I had started to exchange information and comments with Graham going back six years.  I bought some parts from him back in December, had exchanged messages just before Christmas.  I knew he was ill, but didn't know the extent of it.  I'll miss having him as part of this group.  Let's raise a toast to Graham!

• Like 10

relating to the never ending question     " SHOULD I USE MODERN DETERGENT OIL OR ORIGINAL STRAIGHT WEIGHT "" it seemed he kept repeating the same advise,,,,sorry to here the news

So very sorry to hear of his passing. I really enjoyed Graham a wealth of knowledge and he will be missed.

So young at only 64, I appreciated all his posts, especially the ones about oils.

I enjoyed his posts, but never directly messaged or spoke to him. It’s interesting that over the fifteen years or so, how many friends I have made here. Many I see only once a year.....at a Pebble, Amelia, Hershey, or some other small local event. I have bought and sold cars, parts, memorabilia.........more stuff than anyone could reasonably expect through the friends in this site......my favorite deal was when I was able to swap engines for zero dollars with another member. I had the correct numbers matching engine for his one off LeBaron roadster, and he had a numbers matching engine for my best car..........when I contacted him, he was rather dower and asked “how much money do you want for your engine......when I explained I knew he had an engine I was looking for for more than thirty years.......I suggested we just swap at Hershey in the parking lot........it worked out well for both of us.........and we keep in touch more than ten years later. Thanks to the AACA, and all the members here.....my day is much better for all the interactions the go on.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

So sorry to hear this news, I'm restoring a very rough 1931 Chrysler CD8 and had a million questions over the past 4 years on here. Seems Spinneyhill chimed in on most of them with great advice. Will miss his great contributions on here, all the best to his family and friends.

• Like 1

A wonderful man with so much knowledge, and I for one loved his occasional crustiness.  Tom, thanks for providing this sad information, and please tell Graham's wife of the outpouring of loss on this site of his legions of friends he never met face-to-face.

• Like 2

Yes, Gunsmoke he had a 1930  DC8 model here is pic . It was built for export so rhd .

He was also a avid reader and collector or auto books . Many books on crossover and parts is owned or would access through his club to help answer anyone question . That's how you get over six thousand post here and I am sure many on other forums he belonged . I know also he enjoyed the fine arts with his wife . Talked of many of classical concerts and plays they attended .He him self played instruments as a younger , I know violin and some wind instrument . A very diverse fellow for sure . 

dodge_brothers_8.jpg.5ffd616f3ca7ee88f649ea674fd53cff.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Very sorry to hear of his passing, always sad to hear of good car guys leaving us.....

• Like 3

Im sorry to hear of his passing,

He helped me a lot  when I was ( am) working on my 1930 Chrysler..