'47 Buick Whiteh Convertible Top?

Fortunateson

The reason I asked is that when I purchased the car it came with a new white vinyl top.  Now I'm no "Mister Big Bucks" so I may use the top I have as a pattern in a different fabric or have it dyed and use as is.  What is the correct material anyway?  If anyone has a strong opinion againstusing the vinyl top as is or dyed PM me and I'll give you my address so you can donate to my restoration fund!

• Thanks 1

Hello,correct material I don’t believe is even available any more,most restorations use Stayfast as a replacement. The original top has valance on last bow that covers the rear panel usually not found on replacement tops 1949 Buick showed but 47 s are similar.

4F552414-D1E1-441E-8142-4D0AA5594CFA.jpeg

CAC1651A-0F03-4771-9731-7990837259C5.jpeg

C2736A4A-90E1-47B8-BE51-40DFB55B9CF8.jpeg

First let me say that your '49 is a real beauty!  Secondly, thanks for the tips regarding the top.  I haven't even started on th ecar yet but I like to do research well in advance of any project.  My particular car has an aluminum trip piece which I believe goes over the the last top bow though most of the cars I have seen don't have them.

Thank you for the compliment.You are right on the metal trim actually there should be three Chrome Mouldings , on the front bow,back bow and at where the top meets the body,no one makes reproduction trim usually it got discarded when the top got replaced,you can see them on the body repair manuals. I don’t think they mark down points at judging,most people don’t know they existed .The top that is on the 49 is from ARO 2000, it fit well and is as close to original available.On mine I had to make the steel rail that holds the twist fasteners on last bow with help from info on the forum. I also had a 47 Super convertible ,a better car that the 49 with the Dynaflow.