12 volt alternator on 27 Buick

Old26Buick

I would stick with the 6 volt.  Save some energy and put some LED bulbs in if you like.  There is enough capacity in the system for the CB and GPS.  Use a 6 to 12 volt step up transformer as 12 volts is nice to have in the car.  Make that feed a cigarette lighter outlet, then get a 2 to 1 splitter and you have 2 ports for 12 volts.  I would also suggest a red top 6 volt Optima battery as a good battery to have.  

• Like 3

The buick generator will charge 12 volts. We have done it on several cars with overdrives and other thing that need it. Just put on a 12V cutout and adjust the third brush for correct charge rate. Also we have had 12V regulators built in the original cutout housing by John Regan. I’m not sure if he is still doing them.

• Like 1

Keep the 6-Volt system as original-

Change/add a cigar lighter/charging port to 12-Volt,

maybe more than one?

I did that in my 1941 Cadillac, and plan to make that modification to all of our early cars.

WE drive them, so 

GPS,

Radar Detector,

Dash cam,

Cell phone charger, etc

all stay up 

Thanks Brian,  A 3-in-1  jump starter is less $$ and provides power for any 12V accessories while providing an air pump to keep your tires properly inflated!  You can also easily use the clamps to connect your car's electrical system instead of a car battery.  I plug mine in at the hotel to recharge overnight when needed.  If it isn't used to jump a dead car, it has enough power to run my GPS, car lights, etc. for a typical 3-4 day car tour.  I have rescued many on tour who needed a jump or air for a flat tire.  

This is the one I carry:

https://www.stanleytools.com/products/automotive-tools/power/power-station/500-instant-1000-peak-amp-jump-starter-with-compressor/j5c09

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have this exact one. 

I already had a 12v air pump which I run off this battery pack.  The packs that also include the air pump are also available. 

Two 12v plug outlets, a USB charging port, trouble light and emergency flashing strobe too. 

Harbor Freight. Cheap. 

4 years old and still strong and dependable 

Move from car to car including modern car for vacations etc. 

As Mark said, we have assisted many who are less prepared.  On tour, bring it into the hotel at night and charge it. 

Have also used it at home to charge phones during a power outage. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:14 PM, Roger Barrett said:

The buick generator will charge 12 volts. We have done it on several cars with overdrives and other thing that need it. Just put on a 12V cutout and adjust the third brush for correct charge rate. Also we have had 12V regulators built in the original cutout housing by John Regan. I’m not sure if he is still doing them.

do tell a little more detail for me please Roger, I’m new to all this stuff and this sounds like something I might want to do!!

can you help me understand a little better??

i appreciate it Sir!

It is much easier to leave the original charging system intact,

but to add an inverter behind the dash, converting a single output to 12V Negative, and then connect that output to a device such as one or more charging ports/USB etc,

(or even a single cigarette lighter port, and then plug in a triple adapter with USB capability).

We travel in our 6 Volt cars, running our :

GPS,

Radar Detector,

Cell Phone Charger,

Coffee Warmer,

Notebook Charger, etc

This way, your car is still original, and not modified with parts you may not be able to source while "ON THE ROAD".

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)