Buick straight 8 Identification

Well, that helps. Just not sure what. The engine is definitely a 1948 0r later as the motor mounts indicate.  If I could see the water pump outlet I could tell more. I think I see the pump outlet in the top picture, left center just above the alternator.  If so, this does make it a 1950 248. What is confusing me is the last digit in the number, the 5. That indicates a Super [50 series]  which is a 263.  Both series, 40 and 50, started 1950 with 5,624,735.  1951 started with  6,240,564. You are smack dab in the middle.

Ben

48 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Well, that helps. Just not sure what. The engine is definitely a 1948 0r later as the motor mounts indicate.  If I could see the water pump outlet I could tell more. I think I see the pump outlet in the top picture, left center just above the alternator.  If so, this does make it a 1950 248. What is confusing me is the last digit in the number, the 5. That indicates a Super [50 series]  which is a 263.  Both series, 40 and 50, started 1950 with 5,624,735.  1951 started with  6,240,564. You are smack dab in the middle.

Ben

The water pump has an outlet upper right gooseneck that connects to head. Research I have done says all 263 had ridges on the cylinder walls driver side. Mine has none. Also carb base is 4 bolt not 3. I am stumped on this one

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Does water pump connect to head or block?   Your are correct on the ribs. Although, I know of one that the fellow swears is a 263 ,  based on pistons he installed in it, that has no ribs.

Where are you located?

Ben

Water pump elbow connects to block. I'm in South Ms      Nolan

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Does water pump connect to head or block?   Your are correct on the ribs. Although, I know of one that the fellow swears is a 263 ,  based on pistons he installed in it, that has no ribs.

Where are you located?

Ben

• Like 1

4 hours ago, #9123721 said:

The water pump has an outlet upper right gooseneck that connects to head. Research I have done says all 263 had ridges on the cylinder walls driver side. Mine has none. Also carb base is 4 bolt not 3. I am stumped on this one

Carb base 3 holes normally indicates 248 ci [Special Super]

Carb base 4 holes normally indicates 320 ci [Century]

Or a 4 barrel carb?

Is the exhaust manifold 1 piece casting or in 3 pieces?

In 1947 Buick changed from the first digit being the series to the last digit being the series (4=40, 5=50, 6=60, etc)

A little unusual the side mount has been used. Normally people take the front plate off the old engine and put that on the new engine.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_til_52.php

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/casting_numbers_i8.php

More photos would help

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Carb base 3 holes normally indicates 248 ci [Special Super]

Carb base 4 holes normally indicates 320 ci [Century]

Or a 4 barrel carb?

Is the exhaust manifold 1 piece casting or in 3 pieces?

In 1947 Buick changed from the first digit being the series to the last digit being the series (4=40, 5=50, 6=60, etc)

A little unusual the side mount has been used. Normally people take the front plate off the old engine and put that on the new engine.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_til_52.php

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/casting_numbers_i8.php

More photos would help

Post war 248 and all 263 are 4 bolt carb mount. His engine is a 248/263 for certain. The picture shows the crankcase vent inlet at the rear, whereas the 320 is at the front 

Ben

10 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Just remembered another tell.  The 248 has three freeze plugs, driver side, the 263 has four. If yours has only three, you have a 1950 248.

Ben

Just checked and it does have 4 freeze plugs on driver side.

14 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Dank!  I guess that does make it a 263.  All 248s I have seen only have three.  SO,  you have a weirdo!😁.  A 263 with no ribs.  And like someone else said, I have never seen the side mount engine mounted in an older car.

Any photos of the whole car? 

Ben

Yes, I have many photos.

IMG_20190804_112945.jpg

IMG_20190804_113150.jpg

IMG_20190804_113019.jpg