Michael-Restomod

1957 Chevrolac Body Swap (Or Belac)

This Restomod is going to be different than any of the other restorations that I have done so far, because the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air is too far gone to economically fix. There are car kits to convert a Camaro into a 1957 Chevy exterior, called a Belaro (you can google them under google images). In my case I am going to take like a 2007 Cadillac STS with a 4.6 l engine and trash the exterior and put my 1957 Chevy Bel Air onto it, a body swap. It will ride like a Cadillac and look like a 1957 Chevy. Below is a Belaro, my old 2007 Cadallic STS, my 57 Chevy roller bought for only $320 (with my 1965 Thunderbird) .

zCAM05640t.jpg

zCAM05639s2.jpg

zCAM05641w.jpg

I beat most of the dents out of the hood (that someone used as a sled down hills), primered it and fitted the hood to the car, with some baby moons for lights, and some chrome pieces to kind of look like a car again.

zCAM05641u.jpg

Wow, what a PROJECT! You will be busy for a LOT of hours. 

I have seen many projects like this... late model Corvette chassis under an early model Corvette, 49 Ford on a modern T-Bird chassis, and even a 57 & 58 & 59 combined body on a late model Corvette chassis. Some of them look really nice when completed. Others? Maybe not so much. Either way, it's a LOT of work, so I hope your project will turn out looking great for you. 

Good luck. 

pretty challenging construction - the Cadillac is a monocoque, so there is no real "chassis" once most of the body is gone, and the Chevy body is non-structural.  How do you build the new structure?

I'm still technically sceptical.  I think the designs of the Cadillac and an MX5 are very different. An MX5 is designed without the roof being structural, obviously. It has a backbone frame connecting the front and rear subframes, which is good, but he's cutting into the windshield frame and the cross-section behind the seat, which are structural. Can it be made to fit together? - sure, but there is a reason OEM's have structural engineers calculating rigidity under applied torque.

Liability is no issue in Texas, that is why you buy insurance. And before they give you a title in Texas for a Modified car, it has to be inspected by an ASE master mechanic. So hey I'm not worried. 

bryankazmer, The chassis on the 57 Chevy holds up the middle of the flooring of the car with minimal bracing. It has strong seals along the sides. I will pick which one is strongest or blend them together and the roof of the 57 will provide the added strength to the body. And as said above has to be inspected by an ASE master mechanic before it hits the road. Plus in about the millionth video the 59 English Ford has a lot of bracing added, I will need to do that as well in areas.

Don't you think you would be better off discussing your project on a web site that akin to that sort of thing. AACA is not about that sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me give you some history of this 57 Chevy. The owner said to me if I don't buy it, it is going to the scrap yard down the street. And I am not talking about a junk yard where the part are sold off of it I mean a place that crushes that car into a 3 X 3 foot block of steel and puts on a flatbed trailer and sent to be melted down. Now if that is what this site is about that it should be melted down rather to go back onto the road "by any means necessary", then yeah I'm at the wrong site. Doctors sometimes have to amputate to save the patient.

My 1975 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow was the same way. Bought it for $2500 and every expert I talk to said the same thing, It sounds like this Rolls Royce is too far gone it is my opinion it should go to a dismantling agent for the parts to be sold (John E Robison, www.robisonservice.com). When I get the brakes to work and it painted it will be back on the road. So again if this is not what this site is about then Yeah I need to go elsewhere. (But no where in the rules does it say I can't post this.)

• Thanks 1

I really hate unibody construction. I thought my 1965 Thunderbird had a frame but I had to move a few weeks back and it is unibody.  But also in the worse case scenario a tubular steel frame could be added to the Cadillac. It is a future project and I will have to work it out as I go.

zCAM05640z.jpg

zCAM05640o.jpg

zCAM05640p.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Michael-Restomod said:

Let me give you some history of this 57 Chevy. The owner said to me if I don't buy it, it is going to the scrap yard down the street. And I am not talking about a junk yard where the part are sold off of it I mean a place that crushes that car into a 3 X 3 foot block of steel and puts on a flatbed trailer and sent to be melted down. Now if that is what this site is about that it should be melted down rather to go back onto the road "by any means necessary", then yeah I'm at the wrong site. Doctors sometimes have to amputate to save the patient.

My 1975 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow was the same way. Bought it for $2500 and every expert I talk to said the same thing, It sounds like this Rolls Royce is too far gone it is my opinion it should go to a dismantling agent for the parts to be sold (John E Robison, www.robisonservice.com). When I get the brakes to work and it painted it will be back on the road. So again if this is not what this site is about then Yeah I need to go elsewhere. (But no where in the rules does it say I can't post this.)

I understand where you are coming from. I think you are in the wrong place. It's like trying to submit a article in Collectible Automobile when the article belongs in HotRod magazine. Nothing wrong with HotRod, but the guys in HotRod  aren't exactly excited about seeing a stock 289 1965 LTD.

I suggest Jalopy Journal.  www.JalopyJournal.com

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

I went to that site and a lot more looking for the right site for me. I picked this site for a reason, the ability to post pictures and the ease of interaction. So are you saying I am not welcome here? And if so what business is it of your? Sending me to Jalopy Journal is an insult to me. I do not turn cars into gassers I get them back on the road to be seen and enjoyed. 

What sold me on this site was victorialynn2 thread "How about a picture of YOU with a car?" and to see the post by keiser31 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe at 15 years old from his Dad, made this place feel like home for me but for the most part many have made me feel as unwanted as pubic lice.

Thanks so much Pfeil.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Michael-Restomod said:

... if so what business is it of your? Sending me to Jalopy Journal is an insult to me ... many have made me feel as unwanted as pubic lice...

I've generally found that thicker skin and an openness to alternative methods reduces how often I am likened to public lice.

• Like 2

You,re obviously quite talented and march to your own drummer. Nothing wrong with that but most of the folks here don,t hear the same cadence you do.

Likely we could learn a thing or two from you.....and visa versa.

No right or wrong. It is what it is..... Enjoy..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

@Michael-Restomod, thanks for the shout out for my post. Most people here are very nice. I had to liquidate my father’s estate of cars and this was the only forum that welcomed me and helped me. 

It’s true that this club is about keeping cars original. Many people here dabble with modified cars also. You did a great job on that Crown BTW! I wouldn’t expect people here would want to see threads devoted to mods, but some mentions probably would be fine. Like I said, I know for a fact that many like both. The main thing here is that we all treat each other respectfully, even when we disagree about something. 

Hopefully you will feel welcome and stick around. 

• Like 1

Thanks Victoria, I have battled with loss of memory since I was in my later 30's. Which I went from a near photographic memory to I could not find my car at Walmart (or probably K-Mart at the time). Probably the only reason I am still doing ok is because I had a long ways to fall in loss of memory, and that I started to take Omega-3 fish oil (which causes problems with taste) or Flaxseed oil. That has helped a lot and some of my memory has actually come back. I used to lay something down and a few seconds latter I could no longer find it. I would spend a lot of the day, in fixing cars, in looking for stuff I just sat down. I call it going into zombie mode. It is so frustrating to go from remembering things effortlessly, to the state I now find myself in.  I don't think it is Alzheimer's, but it is not something normal. I feel your pain.

• Like 1

@Michael-Restomod, I’m so glad you have found something to help. I gave those to my father but he was too far gone, having suffered from Alzheimer’s many years by the time I started caring for him. There are many things that can affect memory. I believe diet is a big one. 

I hope you continue to see improvement, my friend! 👍

I really like this 1965 Thunderbird :wub: :wub: :wub:

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 6:27 PM, Michael-Restomod said:

zCAM05640z.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:40 AM, Michael-Restomod said:

I plucked this 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown out of a junk yard. And nursed it back to life.

zCAM05642d2.jpg

zCAM05642e.jpg

zCAM05637h.jpg

zCAM05642g.jpg

zCAM05642h.jpg

zCAM05637i.jpg

woww superb work ! ;) , she is very very beautiful  :wub:

I bought this 1969 Buick Electra 225 Custom Limited two years ago :) 
This Buick has been outside since 1986 :( 
It is a rare model in France, for the moment I have completely cleaned it, apply an anti-rust on the roof and on the rust spots, and I have it in the shelter :)

IMG-20180928-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.b9923c5c30f2c9ca22d2290a6ec7da43.jpeg

SAM_6631.thumb.JPG.0074267b834757c43f51c5c23b7c4db3.JPG

IMG-20180928-WA0031.thumb.jpg.ff33d2d880ec1d619cea0942dc61e96e.jpg 

sebastienbuick "I bought this 1969 Buick Electra 225 Custom Limited"

I see a lot of work there, I hope the electrics work, or these cars become a nightmare. At least it looks like the windows were kept closed, so you do not have to worry so much with rust and mold etc. Have fun.

See my problems with electrics at:

• Like 1