Another Auction Reatta, Barret Jackson 1990 Convertible

Dashmaster

Lot #324  1990 BUICK REATTA CONVERTIBLE,  This is an excellent cruiser with only 5,775 actual miles (title reads mileage exempt)  No Reserve,  Sale is for today's Docket

.https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1990-BUICK-REATTA-CONVERTIBLE-237141

Will be interesting to see what this one sells for.

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

This one has been for sale for a while.  Usually not a fan of the black side molding but with the black top and red interior it works well, reminds me of the classic color combination often seen in the late 50 & 60's.  The white letter tires are awful and an embarrassment to the car especially for the money they were asking for the car. Spend big money just to toss more money into it to put proper tires on.

The car is not in the database,  so there is no record of earlier mileage readings.   Robert Casey booklet says there were only

10 in that combination made with a black top.

Jim Finn is at the auction and may have some input on it.

2 hours ago, Dashmaster said:

Lot #324  1990 BUICK REATTA CONVERTIBLE,  This is an excellent cruiser with only 5,775 actual miles (title reads mileage exempt)  No Reserve,  Sale is for today's Docket

.https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1990-BUICK-REATTA-CONVERTIBLE-237141

Will be interesting to see what this one sells for

SOLD!  $7150.00

The market has spoken and the news isn't good for Reatta owners and especially for Reatta collectors. You might say that it is good news by the fact of it being a buyers market and the value of a nice Reatta has nowhere to go but up. I have been hearing that since I bought my Reatta in 2007. It hasn't happened yet and the way it's going I don't think I will live long enough to see it happen.

58 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

SOLD!  $7150.00

The market has spoken and the news isn't good for Reatta owners and especially for Reatta collectors. You might say that it is good news by the fact of it being a buyers market and the value of a nice Reatta has nowhere to go but up. I have been hearing that since I bought my Reatta in 2007. It hasn't happened yet and the way it's going I don't think I will live long enough to see it happen.

That's too bad it sold for so little, but as for me and my cars I have no expectations of any increase in value. I drive my Reattas like I stole them and "change" things on the cars as they suit me. Let someone else keep theirs in a heat controlled storage unit waiting for that day to maybe come and not enjoy driving them.

And who knows maybe in 10 years or so I'll but their car for pennies against what they sold for new... 

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just about what I would have thought. I have been watching values drop for the last 2 years. 2 years ago a nice 40K mile Convertible would bring 10 to 15K, Coupes 7 to 10.

Now you are lucky if you can get 8K for nice Convertible, and under 5K for coupe. The guy who had the Select 60  should have taken the 25K and ran.  Its truly a buyers market.

I never got into a Reatta for a return on my investment. In all my years of car ownership I have never made any money on cars. As a matter of fact I had friends who would wait until I lost interest in a car and then buy it from me knowing I had fixed everything that needed to be done and would have a good looking/running car for less then I had in it.

Last fall I bought a '88 Black/Tan coupe for $1000.00 which to the best of my knowledge has never seen a winter. Next winter will be its first, as it will be my winter Reatta. And because the Red was my first and the car I still enjoy the most I think the 'vert will be my next winter Reatta [Provided I live long enough]. 

Think about this, Frank Sinatra and Joe Montana both owned Reattas and still no cult following so what do you think will happen going forward?

To not drive something that has questionable appreciation possibilities seems foolish to me. Worst case situation, guy waits his remaining years hoping he gets a big score, not driving but storing the car, and listening to his wife complain about paying storage costs or "hogging" the garage, only to pass and then she sells it for next to nothing because the kids don't want it either. 

It's not even Biblical as God doesn't want us to store our treasures here on Earth. We were put here to enjoy what he gave us...

• Like 1

Yah just never know where things may go in the future. Younger generations not into cars as much? Or as I have mentioned in the past that my 1975 AMC Pacer: on the ugly car lists, orphan car lists and the butt of incessant jokes, appears to be worth similar money to what this car just sold for. And that's not for a pristine example. I am sure everyone knows I am more in Dave's camp, or I wouldn't modify and fool with them as I do. Just different strokes. I do enjoy driving it and the Reatta experience, but not as an investment. JMO

By the way, I do agree with Y-Job that the white letter tires were the wrong vibe. They just need to be remounted black side out.

• Like 1

I must restate my position above. BJ may set the standard for vintage muscle cars but not for specialty cars like the Reatta. BJ is a rich mans game for rare vettes, mustangs, etc. Trying to sell anything else at this sort of an event is a fools errand. 

• Like 3

How a Reatta owner feels about the value of their Reatta probably depends a lot on their expectations when they bought their car.  I had no expectations for future increases in it's value when I bought mine. I imagine that anyone who has purchased a Reatta for an investment is probably disappointed.

I was looking for a replacement for my Fiero when I stumbled across my Reatta.  I knew nothing about a Reatta at the time and I had never heard of this forum or the Reatta club so I wasn't actually looking for a Reatta in particular.  I just wanted a sporty looking car that was more comfortable than the Fiero I had just sold. Just something I could drive and have fun in without investing a lot of money.  From the first time I drove my Reatta I knew it would fill the bill for what I was looking for. 

Like Dave, I intend to get my money out of my Reatta by driving it and enjoying it.  I don't think much about what Reattas are selling for. It does make me sad to see a Reatta with only 5000 miles sell for $7150. BJ may have been partly to blame for the low auction selling price. I don't follow the auctions too closely but I have saw several nice Reattas sold at auction and a little over $14000 for a really low mileage vert is the highest I have ever saw one bring. 

• Like 1

Anyone that follows auctions knows that even the most anticipated cars can fall flat at a particular auction depending on when its runs and who’s there. I wouldn't wave the victory flag yet naysayers, I know you live to relish in your no value thoughts. We also know historically Reatta sales do much better on the private market than at auction.  What a fool listing it at no reserve, that is nice driver price. 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only track prices because  I am thinking of selling mine this spring. My Car was Free to me when I got it. I was not looking for a Reatta either. I have honored what the original owner requested when she gave it to me. I do have money invested that I will not recoop to to make the car what it is today. Safe Driver and Show car. I would love to see pricing go up. Then it might make sense to have mine repainted. This is all my car needs.  You can lookup the My Reatta Story it was posted on the forums.

I have been Driving alot since right now there is no salt on our roads. Take it to Cars and Coffee Leesburg VA often, it well received there.

I agree that BJ isn’t really the place for a reatta or any of the big TV auctions for that matter. I stopped watching them because it’s more or less and endless stream of mustangs, corvettes, and muscles cars. It’s kinda boring for me because although I appreciate them that not all I want to see. This car also sold on a Wednesday morning so that could be a factor too. If this followed say a c4 corvette on Friday or Saturday it may have brought more. Guess we have to wait for the next one to pop up. 

I think a way way to make the reatta go up in value is to raise awareness of them. I have been the only reatta at all but one show I’ve been to. One of my friends from home has one too he’ll be bringing out this summer. We have reverse color combos so that should draw some attention. I try to tell the story of the reatta to anyone who asks about it and try to educate them in at least what I know. 

When I was first looking for a reatta two years ago I made a spreadsheet of all the ones I could find for sale on the East coast. There were cases like this where it didn’t make sense why a car was priced how it was.  But there have been some higher value ones for sale. Last year the last VIN 91 vert was for sale for 40k with ~350 miles on it. I know they declined drunk me’s 20k offer. But it sold. So my guess is somewhere closer to what they were asking. 

I bought mine mine to enjoy and if it happens to go up in value that would be awesome. As a 91 with low miles and 1of1 color combo. I think there may be a chance of that lol. But who knows maybe a few years from now they’ll go up in value. Sorry for the essay