Filter Magnet Group Purchase Offering (Don't Drive Without One).

Alan Faircloth

CAR MOTORSPORTS is pleased to introduce and offer a group purchase on a tremendous product reviewed at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, Nevada. The name of this product is FilterMAG. I encourage you to acquaint yourselves with this revolutionary product by visiting the manufactures website at www.filtermag.com

Whether your car is PERFORMANCE or NOT, this product is for you because it will help protect your motor from damage from particles in your oil that pass through the oil filter. Everything you need to know about the product is on www.filtermag.com. In fact, you can buy directly from them via their website, but CAR Motorsports has contracted with FilterMag to offer the product as part of a special group purchase at a SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCED PRICE.

The FilterMAG size that is most appropriate for the Buick Reatta, Grand National, Turbo Regal, Skylarks, GS, etc. is the model SS-365. FilterMag has this product listed on their website for a price of $89.95 <http://www.filtermag.com/contact.htm> plus a fixed $8 shipping charge ($97.95 TOTAL PRICE).

You can purchase this model from CAR Motorsports as part of this special GROUP PURCHASE for $58.95 (DELIVERED!). That right, the price includes delivery. Purchasing this product now for your vehicle will substantially increase the life of your engine. Be sure to take advantage of this CAR Motorsports low price of only $58.95 with free shipping and handling. You can place your order now by calling the CAR Motorsports order line at 678-431-1408 or email to car@carmotorsports.com.

Filter magnets are not new, but one that works and has the engineering and development that this one has is new. Now that this product is available to the general public in a form that WORKS, I would not operate any of my vehicles without it. In fact, ALL of the owners of CAR Motorsports have bought FilterMags for their vehicles. This includes our work vehicles (such as GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton, Ford Expedition, Lincoln LS, Jeep Cherokee) and our daily transportation.

Visit CAR Motorsports website for MORE EXCITING PRODUCTS.

Alan

www. carmotorsports.com

Great concept that I firmly believe in.

I keep a couple of the 1" rare earth magnets in my transmission pan and on my oil filter.

These magnets are so powerful you have to struggle to separate them from each other. Only people with very strong hands can separate them without using an aid of some kind. Careless users can get blood blisters if you catch skin between them if you are not careful.

For my money this provides the same protection for about10% of the cost confused.gifFor my money this provides the same protection for about10% of the cost confused.gif

Robert where were you when I needed you!

I put 3 of the one inchers on my flat ended shovel and used it as a metal detector. Unfortunately I found a buried iron sewer pipe and the damn thing buried itself till only 1/2 the handle was above ground.. Tried everything to retrieve but finally had to saw the handle off at ground level.

Am using only 2 on my new metal detector.

BOUGHT two u.s. gov. magnets at the flee market from lg. disc. drives. The strength of these can't be imagined. You have to see to believe. I have damaged body parts to prove their power. Also lost some friends. My son [adult] got a finger in-between them and it took both of us to get the magnets off of him. Have not seen any more of these magnets for sale. [[so]] smirk.gif I can get smaller ones from the site above. You never know what you will find on the Reatta pages....ken

Our Canadian friend never ceases to amaze - ck his post on the current EGR querie on the forum or go to www.misterfixit.com/index.html ("Brother Bob's Fixit Shop")

Extra neat site with everything including automobile definitions/repair suggestions/etc. Robert, are you also Brother Bob? You're an asset anyway............

I'm going to build a "Wally" metal detector today. May build two, one for each of the grandkids and they would become inceperable.

There was at least one other company at SEMA selling oil magnets. MAGNA-GUARD is a 1/4 X 1/4 X 1 1/4 (approx dimensions) that you drop into the filter and throw it away with the used filter. The magnets are powerful ceramic magnets and in bulk, about $1.00 each. I have not been to the web page but it is www.magna-guard.com

Now a second opinion....someone once said if you need a magnet to trap the metal in your oil, you are better off applying the money to trading cars as that one is on its last legs.

Barney,

I do not agree totally with the "second opinion". Granted, if you have lots of large metal, you've got a problem. However, not all particles are big and even the smaller particles can damage bearings and other engine components.

The theory behind the magnetic products is that oil filters only filter out particles of a certain size and some particles are small enough that they are not "trapped" by the filter. The theory continues that these particles, although small, can still damage the motor. As an owner of a turbo regal, I know that this is certainly a concern there because of the turbo. Also, say the filter does trap particles, these particles will effectively clog up the filter and reduce the oil flow somewhat similar to a dirty air filter or clogged grease trap. The use of a magnet to trap these particles and keep them away from the actual filter element would then keep the filter cleaner and more efficient.

It doesn't matter to me if Reatta owners buy the FilterMag product from us or not. However, I can tell you that with regard to simply sticking a powerful magnet on the side of an oil filter, the filtermag product is still different. The reason is that the magnets are placed with inverted polarity to create a magnetic current travel. The current actually travels into and through the oil filter housing to the next magnet in line. This continues on until the last magnet. We got a full scale demonstration at SEMA from the Stanford University Magnetic Professor and Designer of filtermag Dr. James Chen. Until that point, I was never very impressed with these products.

Alan

Can see that they might be valuable on an engine that has just been rebuilt if proper cleaning is not assured (I take a pipe cleaner to cranks after polishing - do not believe in turning) however aren't bearings (major wear item) non-ferrous ? Don't know about rings but pistons are usually aluminium.

Would probably pay up to U$10 for one (with shipping).

"Magnetic current" ? Through the aether no doubt.

Bearings are generally nonferrous.

Anything too small to get trapped by a filter won't hurt an engine, assuming regular oil changes anyway. If the filter is filling up with particulates to the point that it is no longer doing the job after 3,000 miles, then that engine's days are numbered anyway and no magnet is going to save it.

Is this cheap enough to give a shot for giggles? At $10 I would say yes.

Is it going to give you noticeably longer engine life? No. Engines are destroyed in one of just a few ways anyway...

1) Loss of coolant and/or cooling efficiency, which happens to be the leading cause of #2 below...

2) Loss of oil and/or oil pressure on critical surfaces. Wear can do this to bearings, but the fact of the matter is that bearing will last a LONG LONG time if they never overheat.

3) Over-revving. Not an issue with a Reatta.

4) Detonation.

Stay away from those 4, (change your oil and oil filter, ensure you cooling system is in good shape, avoid anything that causes detonation) and you are golden.

GM likes magnetic-tipped oil drain plugs enough to put them on the LS1's. If this was truly worth many thousands of miles of added engine life over a magnetic oil drain plug, you can bet they would be using them.