1933 Studebaker President Barn Find

I hate it when I cant figure out how to get a photo off my phone messenger service and post it on the web! I had a guy tell me about this 1933 Studebaker he knew about that is in a barn up in northern California. So I asked for information and pictures. He sent me four pictures from his phone to my phone. I downloaded them but cant find where they went! 

Anyway, I am sure he said they want $6000 for the car, it looks pretty straight and all there. He says it is an 8 cylinder car, but did not give me any more info. So I dont know what wheelbase it is. I have no interest in another project car, so if anyone wants to get info, I will share his phone number. He can text the pictures to you!   

Easy enough to check, only the Speedway President Model 92 is 135" wheelbase with the 337 ci straight eight.  The Model 82 President is 125" wheelbase with the 250 ci straight eight.    Both interesting rare cars, the former more so than the latter but still worthwhile.  Please, let us know your findings.

There is an aluminum tag on the side of the firewall if you lift the hood that will also tell you the what series car it is. The tag on our car is embossed and says 92 on it for Model 92 President Speedway.

If the body tag follows the Pierce-Arrow symbology (Stude owned Pierce until the latter part of 1933), the P means convertible coupe, and 40 denotes the 40th coupe that year.  WOW!  Studebaker gurus, please chime in on the meaning of the body tag.  And the 2 means "Salon" (deluxe trim) in Pierce-speak.

Edited by Grimy
added info (see edit history)

1 hour ago, coachJC said:

R-Roadster

Coach, you're right, it's an R, not a P.  Pierce also used R for roadster, but not after 1931, whose Model 43 was the last true roadster (i.e., side curtains vs. roll-up windows).  So now I have no idea when Studebaker last produced a "roadster."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grimy said:

If the body tag follows the Pierce-Arrow symbology (Stude owned Pierce until the latter part of 1933), the P means convertible coupe, and 40 denotes the 40th coupe that year.  WOW!  Studebaker gurus, please chime in on the meaning of the body tag.  And the 2 means "Salon" (deluxe trim) in Pierce-speak.

Yep. Double wow.  There are how many known?  Only a few I think.

Richard Quinn, the acknowledged expert on pre-war Studebakers, wrote a fine article in the Antique Studebaker Review on the 1933 Model 92 Speedway President.  There were only 651 cars total in seven body styles and two trim levels.    Only 8 survivors are accounted for worldwide.

More likely this is a Model 82 President, as noted, 125" wheelbase with a 250 ci straight eight.  For all intents and purposes by specification, it was the 1932 Model 71 Commander restyled and renamed.  There were 1,194 built.

Back in the mid-1990s, I located, in the proverbial barn, in Northern California, a 1932 Studebaker President model 91 rumble seat coupe.   If this is the same car, which it could be, I thoroughly checked it out at the time with the intention of buying the car. I confirmed this is a 1932 big block President model 91 rumble seat coupe with dual sidemounts.  Unfortunately, the car needed extensive work, was missing critical parts, and the asking price was $15,000.   If this is the same car, and it is now available for $6,000 the price has improved with age.   I gave up on buying it due to the missing parts and high asking price.  I went on to own two other President’s instead of this one expensive, although unique, 1932 President.   Some of the issues the car had, or still has, is sever rot at the bottom of the body behind the doors, missing rumble seat lid and seats, with the bottom of the rumble seat opening cut away for the truck bed insert, fabric insert on the roof was replaced with a welded on steel panel.  The missing rumble seat lid, seats, and hardware, were because at the end of its life the Studebaker had been made into a truck.     

Here are pictures I took of the 1932 President in the barn in the mid-1990s.  

32president9.jpg

32president10.jpg

32president11.jpg

32president12.jpg

32president13.jpg

32president14.jpg

32president15.jpg

32president16.jpg

MVC-002F.JPG

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-008F.JPG

MVC-010F.JPG

MVC-011F.JPG

MVC-012F.JPG

MVC-016F.JPG

MVC-017F.JPG

MVC-018F.JPG

MVC-019F.JPG

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For a number of reasons I think that it's an 82. Significant difference being the wheel base and the smaller straight eight. With just eight surviving 92 Speedways, finding an undocumented survivor would be real news.

Studebaker was in the process of downsizing their President models in 1933, but with the success that the big chassis had in the Indianapolis 500, they decided to give the large car one last hurrah. They needn't have bothered, only a little more then 600 were produced. The 82 President was a new iteration of the previous year's Commander, rebadged as President. The Commander based President maybe almost as rare as it's larger sibling, but everything being equal, the "Full Classic" Speedway  should have a higher dollar value.

The Depression about did in Studebaker, who went into receivership that year. They maybe the only American car maker to survive the process without govt.  financial help.  Lucky for us Studebaker decided to produce the Classic President for one last year. Their misstep in 1933 gave us one last year to enjoy the last of the "Full Classic" Studebakers.

More then thirty five years ago I was able to help a good friend acquire, and restore a five passenger Speedway. I had the somewhat unique opportunity to compare that car to my 1933 Pierce Arrow model 836. Vary similar cars in many respects, and a worthy Classic. Now with another owner, that Studebaker can be viewed, where it is on display at the Studebaker museum in South Bend Indiana.  

Bill

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 5

This is Dale in Montana, do we have contact info on the owner of the 33 studebaker yet ? If it is really for sale,if so I need more info and pictures, inside, wood ,seats,dash,floor, engine compartment and info how complete does it turn over? Close up of rockers any glass for patterns, paper work (title) Thanks   dale.tharp@gmail.com / 406 557 611one. 

Studebaker President's are interesting cars........and the later series are fantastically rare. They drive well, look good, and basicly not well understood by most of the car collecting world. There are a small handful of people who really know them and carry the torch for them. My first barn find back when I was a teenager was a President sedan.........either a 30 or 31........I can't remember. The owner wouldn't even let me look at it, as he didn't want to sell it to some kid.............maybe he thought I wanted to chop it up. What it did do was put me off of Studebaker cars for a very long time. Remember when dealing with young people...........make a good first impression. I went on to Cadillac's and then Pierce Arrow's; Where as a 15 year old kid I was welcomed by all the old time guys who were the foundation of what was built into the old car hobby. 100 pre war cars later, I'm still at it. And if the right Stude comes along, I would buy it. Interesting post.........

• Like 8

Since your all discussing 1933 Studebaker Presidents, this one was posted on a FB discussion group recently in September for sale in Northern California. Scroll down past the last picture in the below link and watch the video of this guy revving up the engine so high it feels like he's going to throw a rod right through the block. Absolute Idiot.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2209016075?view=permalink&id=10156187976346076

FB_IMG_1579256219294.jpg

FB_IMG_1579256212002.jpg

FB_IMG_1579256225513.jpg

FB_IMG_1579256222329.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting video I ran across on a 1933 Studebaker President Model 82 in Moscow. Not sure what he's saying, but the video is still interesting to watch. Best I can determine the car is owned and used by a place called "La Colline" which is a French Cuisine restaurant in Moscow. Trip Advisor has it listed as the best restaurant in Moscow, and possibly all of Russia. Not sure if the cars history is new with this place or it's always been attached to the restaurant since new. Unfortunately I couldn't understand what he was saying in the video to know the story.

https://youtu.be/IJh9HN1G_N0

Screenshot_20200117-033341_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by 29StudiePrez
Added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Russian car is not a President. It has only five gages in the dash cluster, and the engine is a 6 cyl. I could be a model 56 with the six cyl or it could have had an engine swap. The fact is that I know some of the things that it's not, but not 100% sure what it is. 

The northern California car is interesting, but it's not a Speedway. It's probably a model 82-the engine looks like the smaller eight cyl. Hard to tell with all the smoke, but it's certainly not the right head for the Speedway. What an idiot twenty five seconds into the engine startup, and revving the hell out of it, he asks about the oil pressure, and of course the gage shows nothing!

About the Russian video... the car is part of an antique car collection that is displayed at the restaurant in Moscow. The video was posted by the restoration shop that restored the Studebaker and several other cars. The voiceover is mostly about the history of the Studebaker company, not much about the car itself other than pointing out some features. Not sure what the connection is between the restoration shop and the restaurant. I didn't watch the whole video, but that's the gist. Here's a link to pics of some of the other cars restored or being restored by the shop, including several other Studebakers: 

https://kmz-zavod.ru/avto/cars/

Studebaker vehicles have recognition in Russia, just like Buicks do in China, because everyone fondly remembers the Lend-Lease Studebaker trucks from WWII. Ask any layperson to name an old American car company and they'll probably come up with Ford and Studebaker, in that order. 

Edited by Big Beat (see edit history)

That is indeed a great looking Studebaker.

One can’t help but marvel at the incredible changes in American car styling in just 2 or 3 years from 1930 style vertical radiator shells to aesthetically designed grills and raked back windshields. Rapid changes in styling development throughout the 1930’s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Huston said:

Great looking Studebaker!   I am sure you have a blast with it everytime you take it out.   What model is it?

It is a 92 series President Speedway Roadster. It is 1 of 8 of the 92 series cars to exist and one of 2 of that body style. The other Roadster is in the process of being restored but was missing it original motor.

Mark,

It's one of the two surviving Model 92 speedway cars. 

John,

The term Four Season Roadster was only used for the 1931 President. I get questioned often, regarding the roadster part of the name, because it is really a convertible or a convertible coupe, with roll-up windows. The reason for the confusion in terms, is that Studebaker used the term as part of their advertising theme. The 31 was Studebaker's first sporty soft-top car to use roll-up windows, and I think that they wanted the buying public to get the message, so they included the descriptive term in the model name. 

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

When the roadster body style/type was starting to loose favor with the buying public ( just like phaetons and touring cars were at the same time) the sales foce that was in place did not want the perspective customers who wanted open body styles to loose interest and drift to another make of vehicle. SO the "transition" word /description was a convertible roadster or convertible phaeton. The two just mentioned had roll up windows in the doors but usually were styled to look very much like a roadster or phaeton that used side curtains, rods and snaps to keep the weather out. If someone is used to a particular name for decades and it is instantly changed some confusion is possible among a good majority of the people  ie "why did they get rid of that car ( body style) I liked it!  ( but they also liked the price because that particular body style was cheaper - cars with roll up windows cost more because they cost more to produce) . Changing times and names: station wagons ( so named because they took you to and from the train station) and suburbans  became mini vans, became SUV's or hatch backs or ????  Nick names for certain features were popular as well - rumble seats were know as 'mother in law ' seats.  But I have to admit in all my years of research I never saw a manufacturer refer to a rumble seat as a mother in law seat...........................................🤐

Edited by Walt G
transposed letters (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Nothing better than the rare and obscure. Satisfaction more than you can imagine. I recently drove a fantastic world class car for the first time in many, many years. Wonderful sensation beyond description. 

• Like 2