Delco Remy #955 Generator

• 4 weeks later...

I will try to get some pictures when I get back to the warehouse later in the week.

The generator housing is rusted and it may only be good for parts.

It has the coupling on it and if you do not need that , I would like to keep it.

It also has the cutout on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, rbk said:

I will try to get some pictures when I get back to the warehouse later in the week.

The generator housing is rusted and it may only be good for parts.

It has the coupling on it and if you do not need that , I would like to keep it.

It also has the cutout on it.

Here are three pictures of the 955c Generator I have.

It does not turn and may not be any good.

I can send it to you and you can see if it is useful to you.

Make a donation to the studebaker museum.

IMG_6119.jpeg

IMG_6120.jpeg

IMG_6126.jpeg

Not yet.

I will wait a few days for the OP to respond.

I may have more of these but it is still to cold to be searching in 

that huge warehouse.

I can't afford to heat it!! I am 83 years old and not moving to well anymore.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for mentioning Studerex. Not often the stars are in alignment on my parts with someone's needs. The link in Studerex post is correct for about the next 25 days; subject to getting bought by someone else. 

Henry Votel

Forest Lake, MN

• 2 weeks later...

Hwellens,

Save me the trouble of looking for my Hollander Interchange reprint. Do you have the same info for a generator for both a 1932 Studebaker President and a 1933 Pierce Arrow 836? It's for a friend, to whom I recently sold the Pierce. I haven't been able to find the generator for it.

Bill

My 1927-33 Chilton Interchange manual shows that the only generator interchange listed with a Pierce 836 is with Pierce 1236, 1242, 1247.  Maybe Hollander shows something else.

Studebaker generators for Models 80, 90, 91, and 92 are shown as the same part, but different from the Pierce part.

Thanks Rex and Gary. At least we can identify what is needed. I guess that it would have been too much to hope that the two cars would have used the same unit. Rex you don't have one for the 32, that you have sitting around, and that you're not saving for your car? John Cislak parted out a 1236 last year. We talked at length about needed parts before I sold the car. He said he'd check, but he failed to do so. At least he never has gotten back to me. Kind of hate to be in the middle, but want to see the projects done right. I'm not sure that cobbling something together is going to be the right direction. 

Bill I can look in my old delco books that detail the components of each generator to see the difference between the Stude and Pierce.  It might be just the pulley as I think Pierce used a double belt.  I have one spare 927j  and know of one club member with one on the shelf. 

Rex, 

Thanks again. As for the Deluxe and the generator change, it could be the double pulley. The car I sold did not have a double pulley. I can't imagine that they ever used the 385 cu" engine in the 836A, and I'm sure that they didn't use the twelve in it, so it would be just a guess. There are some sharp Pierce guys who check in, from time to time, maybe they will have an answer.

Bill

If you are not staying original you can always change to a 12 volt negative ground.  Here is a photo of the change I did to the Peking to Paris 29 President.  Worked perfect.  Find a VW Thing or regular VW generator.  They have the rear output shaft to run the water pump.  The VW Thing had had higher output.  Photo taken after the 38 day,  8000 mile rally. 

paris 067.jpg