windshield washer pump- '51 Buick

Kestrel

Has anyone ever tried to disassemble one of these pumps ? I suspect mine is not working and would like to know how it can be opened up and repaired. I see Cars.Inc sells rebuild kits. I can't test it easily since most of the vacuum and washer fluid lines are deteriorated  & need replacing, as well as the lid and jar. Thanks guys.

IMG_1361.jpeg

I guess I answered my own question. Prying it apart was worse than trying to open a fresh oyster. Can't believe the amount of rust inside. It's almost like some psycho dumped in a pound of rust, then sealed it up.

Surprisingly, the rubber diaphragm is still intact, but the spring, bracket, and rest is beyond salvation. Time to find another working unit....somewhere.

IMG_1368.jpeg

• Like 1

I've fooled around with those old GM washer pumps and systems and it's my opinion that they're far more trouble than they're worth. They should be put in a car for visual display purposes only. The old Mopar foot pump types work much better. Just my 2 cents. 

5 hours ago, Kestrel said:

I guess I answered my own question. Prying it apart was worse than trying to open a fresh oyster. Can't believe the amount of rust inside. It's almost like some psycho dumped in a pound of rust, then sealed it up.

Surprisingly, the rubber diaphragm is still intact, but the spring, bracket, and rest is beyond salvation. Time to find another working unit....somewhere.

IMG_1368.jpeg

Wow!  That's amazing!  In the photo it looks like dirt, almost as if the unit was living in a dusty environment for all it's life. 

Yep, probably not worth much more time and effort and no working eBay units I've seen, plus no rebuild kits available for this type I've learned.

Like 55er said, use for display only. Could always fill with whiskey for emergencies  😋

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

A day after my above post, I miraculously found a never used Trico pump, bottle, and bracket from an Ebay seller in Wisconsin. Could someone describe or post a photo of their manifold vacuum hose connecting the Trico motor and the pump's vacuum hose ? The shop manual has a blurry diagram but shows a Y shaped splitter somewhere close to the Trico motor. Probably a 1/4" x 1/4" x 3/16". My original connection is long gone. Thanks all !