thunderbird sunroof

1948 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL CONV V 12

At the asking price,  quibbles about the tires seems like a minor matter to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The tires  A R E   N O T   A   F A C T O R. 

Not to a buyer anyway....

Edited by Ben P. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Too many people who wish to impress others with their limited knowledge of things.........if you want a multi cylinder starter car that’s in the CCCA world, where in the HELL can you find anything better for the money? NO WHERE! The problem is too many internet experts that have no clue at what they are talking about...............anyone who has an interest in this type of automobile would be foolish not to take a long hard look at this car. I do NOT know the seller, and have never inspected the car.......just 40 years of dealing with great cars is where I am coming from. Ed

• Like 5

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

Too many people who wish to impress others with their limited knowledge of things.........if you want a multi cylinder starter car that’s in the CCCA world, where in the HELL can you find anything better for the money? NO WHERE! The problem is too many internet experts that have no clue at what they are talking about...............anyone who has an interest in this type of automobile would be foolish not to take a long hard look at this car. I do NOT know the seller, and have never inspected the car.......just 40 years of dealing with great cars is where I am coming from. Ed

EXACTLY and this car should have been sold on the first day = baffling seller still has it !!!

You cannot beat a CCCA convertible that is in this nice of condition - especially at this price. 

• Like 2

It has not sold because it's inexpensive. Inexpensive car buyers don't buy unless they can get an inexpensive car at an even lower price. No matter how cheap you price it, they'll want it for 50% less than that. You're trapped in a dead zone because the guys with money won't look at it and the frugal buyers know they can afford to buy it but not fix it so they want to get it extra cheap. Even if you priced it at $8000, there would be people offering you $4000. It can't be cheap enough once you cross into this realm.

I have found it is often beneficial on a car like this to start with a higher price then accept the lowball offers that are in the right range. Price it at $29,900 and then when a low-end guy offers you $20, you take it. Of course, 9 out of 10 times, they'll bail out at that point because they were counting on you refusing their offer and didn't really intend to buy it, but hey, one guy might actually man up.

This is a tough range with a tough car. Sorry for the frustration.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, ericmac said:

At the asking price,  quibbles about the tires seems like a minor matter to me.

That's the point where I tell the person to go buy the other one. Done it many times. They always ask what other one. I tell them to go find it.

I was probably 12 or 13 years old when I would hang around the junkyard after school. A guy came in for a '5o or '51 Mercury taillight lens. There were two or three in the yard. He came up with what he claimed was the only one. Ron, the owner asked for $2. The guy offered him $1. Ron said "Let me see that". It was glass and he dropped it on the ground and broke it. The guy that needed it had a fit.

And I got a lifelong lesson on values and buyer responsibility. If I tallied it all up I'm q1uite aways ahead at this point. Even with the attitude.

Bernie

• Like 3

Wow.  What a great car for such a great value.  I have some car guy friends not far from there, I wonder if they know about this.

If it's a permitted topic in the thread, I'd be interested in hearing more from those a lot more informed than me as to why those cars have fallen in value more than others.  General lack of demand for American cars from the 40s? Too many around, as John suggests, as so many were recognized as classics early on?  Loss of prestige for the Lincoln brand in recent years?  Some combo of the above?  Either way, seems like a crazy amount of car for the money.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Congratulations!  There were far too many of us trying to figure out where we would park it if we bought it, I think.  Glad to hear it found a good home!

• Like 1