thunderbird sunroof

1948 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL CONV V 12

I AM SELLING MY 48 CONT CONV.  50 YEAR OLD RESTORATION RARE COLOR COMBO ORIGINAL. 69,000.  MILES. ALWAYS COLLECTOR OWNED. NO RUST EVER.  V 12 RUNS 100%. HAS OVERDRIVE

GOOD SOLID DRIVER.  NEW CORRECT FIRESTONE TIRES.  ASKING $23500. OBO. 201 481 4401. Paul Willson. IN DELAWARE   PBW395@VERIZON.NET. I HAVE MANY MORE PICS 

AB0BB7FA-30DF-4312-AE80-36278BF2BA23.jpeg

C1571399-F878-4713-84AF-C6E6B8D0EE2B.jpeg

88FC9B7D-0054-4D2B-9A38-7759E6DB6836.jpeg

• Like 5

very nice deal!

best of luck with your sale- should go quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

That's a great price .  One of those guys that have posted on here over the last year looking for a project one of these,  should step up and enjoy nothing but smiles driving it this summer. From what I have seen you couldn't buy one of the rougher ones and chrome the chrome for the asking price,  not to mention still needing to do all the other stuff. 

Good luck with the sale.  Great looking car. 

• Like 2

These cars are highly under-rated today and not as popular as they were say 20 years ago. Not very peppy but fantastic touring cars with the overdrive. Good, reliable (as long as you don't lug the engine), comfortable, 65-70MPH hi-way cruisers. Not really much more complicated to maintain than a Ford flathead. I don't think you could buy a 48 Ford coupe in this condition for this price. I'm a Cadillac man and once owned a 48 Cad. These Continentals are a much better car than anything Cadillac made in 48. And I like the blue with the gray instead of the usual red leather.  I'm tempted....

I like the above photo of the "Tucker" steering wheel and radio. After the war the FTC would not permit dealers & manufacturers to collect down payments for new cars that hadn't been built yet. Tucker got around that by pre-selling a deluxe package for $500 that included the Lincoln red translucent wheel, radio and a couple other Lincoln items that were sold in "Tucker" labeled boxes.

• Like 3

Nice car.......and unfortunately a very fair and realistic price......probably light. jdome post is correct. These have always been kept in the garage as a special car.......may were well taken car of........like this one looks like. My John Deere lawnmower cost 17k, this is a lot of car for the money. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A realistic owner who has priced this car to sell.  They do well on road, they are easy enough to sort out and maintain, they have tons of "looks", and ...  Why the lower price - well, the production volume was pretty high for era and the survival rate is very high too = quantity of cars exceeds demand.  

Personally, I might paint the wheel rims to match the top piping - or I might just immediately enjoy.

From the card Euchre - "pick it up" !

Sidenote: We recently sold a 40 cabriolet (some 2 years later) for 1/3 the cost of its restoration. 

• Like 1

I called the seller about this one.

Nice guy and all my questions were answered.

Be careful, he guesses the new tires are seven years old.

Windows wont roll up.

He has not driven it so doesn't know if the OD works or not.

Upholstery is vinyl not leather.

All good info and was offered up without question. However I think this stuff should be in the ad.

He admits that he bought the car to resell and doesn't know much about it.

I am still tempted but with the hydraulic windows not functioning and other unknowns it will certainly need some sorting.

My offer was rejected without a counter offer.

• Like 1

GOT THE WINDOWS TO WORK.  OFFER WAS 13K.  HEY GUYS WHEN I AM ASKING 23500 FOR A CAR. DONT OFFER ME 13 K. IT   REALLY  INSULTS ME   I DO KNOW ALOT ABOUT THE CAR I HAVE KNOWN HISTORY FOR 50 YEARS.  THE OWNER WAS A FRIEND OF MY FATHERS.  YES HE WENT IN TO  ASSISTED LIVING HOME AND NEEDED THE MONEY AND I BOUGHT THE CAR   I  DID ANSWER ALL OF THE QUESTIONS.   GUESS I SAID TO MUCH. WOULD YOU RATHER NOT HAVE THE ANSWERS??    THATS WHY I PUT MY PHONE NUMBER DOWN. 

• Like 3

The offer was more than 13.

I did enjoy our talk.

Good luck with your sale.

That seems like a lot of car for the money, and a full classic to boot; what am I missing? 

• Like 1

That seems like a lot of car for the money, and a full classic to boot; what am I missing?

this has become a "soft" market. price is very fair and a real nice car. There are others in a similar price range. If youve ever wtd a v12, lots of bang for the buck here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

this has become a "soft" market. price is very fair and a real nice car. There are others in a similar price range. If youve ever wtd a v12, lots of bang for the buck here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The market for these cars has been soft for fifteen years, and has shifted to.........extremely poor the last four or five. The late high production Cadillac market of 1938-1942 had also followed suit. Think of pricing like it was in the late70's and early 80's. Lots of great cars at fantastic prices.  Basicly I expect to see some of the younger crowd who has an interest in pre war stuff stepping up into these cars...........time will tell.

Honestly, this looks like a great car, at a price that is beyond reasonable.........and I'm shocked it has not sold yet...........which tells more about the market than any words we can type here.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Part of the issue is buyers at this end, 20k plus or minus, usually only have 1 or 2 cars.  I personally love this car at 20, 22k but have no more space and just committed to a lot of resto work on another car.  To Ed's point, younger buyers need to step up.  A much more interesting car to me than any number of me too 60s, 70s, 80s cars for the right buyer.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Honestly, this looks like a great car, at a price that is beyond reasonable.........and I'm shocked it has not sold yet...........which tells more about the market than any words we can type here.

As the price goes down, expectations go way up. It's weird.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Latest I could find for a 47 Lincoln selling in free market. Barrett-Jackson car appears to me to be a little better condition than this one but hard to tell from photos. Watched the Lincoln at auction go over the block. Sold for $27,500 which includes the buyer's premium.  Running, driving vs no brakes would assume this would be less money than the one which sold. Question is how much less and I would not disagree the market is soft and would agree most likely little less or little more than 20 grand.

ink to the sale of the 47 at Barrett Jackson last week:

lhttps://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1947-LINCOLN-CONTINENTAL-CONVERTIBLE-238784ink to the sale of the 47 at Barrett Jackson 

21 hours ago, JACK M said:

My offer was rejected without a counter offer.

Just a sidenote:  This car at 20''s K price is fair "as is where is" (aka next new owner will have to play with fixing things and any upgrading, but my guess is very solid product to work on and your work will be rewarded and rewarding). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

About the same price as a 60's nothing special convertible with small engine and unexciting automatic tranny in the same shape. 

• Like 2

Here is my opinion:  The younger crowd is not looking here in the numbers they should be (or if looking they are at least not commenting) - perhaps AACA needs to do some more marketing of this page on Facebook. 

As to market:  Sort of works like this:  Car is put up for 100K and no buyers.  Reduce price to  90K and two people pop up.  Those people negotiate and get car to around 75K and one gets it. Then, 50 people then say they would have paid 75K for car and start looking more carefully.  We are not seeing cars thrown to the curb like money in certain repressed economies.  Sure, market is soft, but everything will find homes and we are still talking good money for whatever it is.  And, people talk about "the good old days' when cars were affordable - well, they never were and they never will be for the car or its restoration (it's called the time value of money).  

As to people expecting perfection - yeah, it does not work like that - you need to find a project that fits your skill sets and interests and then lighten up your wallet while getting your tools all dirty.  My Dad always amuses me in his mentality of "that is a serviceable product." 

• Like 4

Spot on John.  Esp fb comments, you and i both know younger prewar folk hanging out there!  Op getting some activity at least... 🙂

• Like 2