Sign in to follow this  
RoadShark

67 Steering coupler?

The steering shaft on my 67 has two different sized holes for the pins on the "rag joint".  I've ordered new couplings from two sources (it's been a while - I can't remember where) and they both have same-sized pins.  Then size on the new couplings is too big for the smaller hole in the end of the shaft.

Does anyone know where to get the correct coupling?

If you look I think you will find that the rag joints you bought will work fine. The pins are only there to give you some steering

if the rubber completely tears in two. They just sit loosely in the slots on the shaft and have nothing to do with the actual connection

between the gearbox and the column.....the bolts and nuts do that. As long as both pins will fit in the slots on the shaft you are good to go.

The thing you should worry about is to make sure the rag joints you bought have grounding straps built in to them to ground the steering shaft so the horns will honk.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I can't believe I had a brain f*** like that.  The pins go between and the bolts in the holes.  Duh.

The two I rag joints I bought have different grounding arrangements.  One has a stamped sheet metal piece that goes over one pin and is held by both bolts.  The other has a twisted piece of sheet metal that goes from one pin to one bolt.

• Like 1

Road Shark,

Please share your  part source?

I gotta do the same some day.

Thanks 

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

I have the correct couplers in stock.  $42.00 incl. shipping in  48 states.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:46 AM, PWB said:

Please share your  part source?

I gotta do the same some day.

I honestly can't remember.  It was a while ago.