Can you help me identify?

Chrisgold

Hi Enthusiasts, 

I'm a plastic modeller building a diorama of the attached image of Mr Sikorsky and the VS300 helicopter. 

I would like to know any information (make, model, year) of the two handsome vehicles in this image.

The photo is from Connecticut circa 1941,42.

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks

Chris

London, England. 

VF2.jpg

Edited by Chrisgold
Typo (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Chrisgold said:

I wonder if the Lincoln was a press vehicle. 

I doubt that!

Newspapers would want operating economy, and back then, a business coupe or a 'utility sedan' with no rear seat would have been their prime choice for a news reporter to drive, with lots of room in the back for their camera gear.   Plymouth or Dodge, Fords, Chevrolets, Studebaker Champions,  or other inexpensive two-door offerings is what was commonly seen driven by news reporters.

Craig

• Like 3

That helicopter has another connection to automobiles.  

"The ship consists mainly of a tubular welded framework that includes near its center of gravity a 90 horsepower engine of the Aircooled Motors Corporation...…… "

https://www.sikorskyarchives.com/VS-300_Helicopter.php

That air cooled motor was an offshoot of the Franklin automobile. The company was formed by the two chief engineers of the former Franklin Automobile Co. Their engines were used in many small aircraft, helicopters, and trucks. And converted to water cooled in Tucker's cars..  Franklin air cooled aircraft engines are still being produced. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I believe the Pickup is a 39 or 40. The headlight was down on the inner slope of the fender. In 41 it went up on the crown

I wondered how to tell those Dodge pickups apart of that era, Dave. Thanks for that insight. 

On 1/14/2020 at 1:48 AM, Chrisgold said:

Hi Enthusiasts, 

I'm a plastic modeller building a diorama of the attached image of Mr Sikorsky and the VS300 helicopter. 

I would like to know any information (make, model, year) of the two handsome vehicles in this image.

The photo is from Connecticut circa 1941,42.

Although no one has mentioned it, but I will.

We want pictures of your completed project and even some in progress shots. 😃

We, here love all things automotive and would love to see your work.

And there are some here, like Billy, that are very into scale models as well.

Thanks for the interest and I will post some photos. As I am scratch building the helicopter in 1:32 scale (there are no kits) it will take me some time. I plan to have it completed for the scale modelling nationals in Telford U. K. November. 

Many thanks to all that have taken time to reply to my questions. You guys are awesome. 

48 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I came across this YouTube video of early helicopter development efforts. At 11:24 it shows the helicopter bounce and throw the test pilot upward into the blade and get thrown a short distance. He only suffered a broken arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k562IriqnlA

Now that’s a hard headed guy!

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

13 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Now that’s a hard headed guy!

Dave S 

I slowed down the video and you can see the pilot kind of turn and lift his arm just before the blade makes contact.

Raising his arm most likely saved his life.

As mentioned plastic kits are not available for the Zephyr or the Dodge truck. 

I've managed to find a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr (convertible) and a 1948 Ford pickup in the scale I need (1:32) in die-cast (photos attached) 

My plan is to take the apart both cars and recast in resin using the die-cast body parts as moulds. 

I will need to put a roof on the Zephyr to make it a hard top and convert the Ford pickup to look like a Dodge. 

Question for the experts. 

Are there any astetic differencences aside from the hard roof I need to be aware of between my 1939 model Zephyr and the 1942 Zephyr in the (original 1942) photo?

IMG_20200120_092152632.thumb.jpg.40e33355de16f64ea948211f311eb91d.jpg

Thanks

Chris

London, England

IMG_20200120_092143148.jpg

IMG_20200120_092228072.jpg

Edited by Chrisgold
Grammar (see edit history)