AlexHernesten

Buick 1957 Century 2dr Glass Installation

Hello, 

I recently bought backglass seal for the two small windows on the side. But the seal has a really bad fit. 

At first I thought it was the new windows which might be the wrong size, but after trying it on the original glass it still looks bad. I understand it could be the wrong seal (because there is another seal for 2dr Sedans) or installed in the wrong way. But if anyway could help explain what might be the problem I would be very grateful. 

Thanks / Alex

PS. I've attached an image of a mystery part which the paint shop gave to me after they've assembled the car, anyone that can help identify what it is and where it goes? Thanks again. 

Technical_.001.jpeg

Technical_.002.jpeg

Where did you buy the seal? It looks to be a straight length bent around the glass. That will never work. It needs to be molded to the shape of the glass when made. I'm thinking your mystery piece is the wire harness cover by the door opening......Bob

I think the mystery piece is the wire harness cover on the driver side inner fender behind the battery.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Where did you buy the seal? It looks to be a straight length bent around the glass. That will never work. It needs to be molded to the shape of the glass when made.

Hi Bob, 

Bought it from CARS (oldbuickparts.com) who in turn get them from METRO Moulded Parts (image attached). But you're right, it doesn't feel like it moulds itself around the edge. It's obviously not completely hardened and around the glass where the curve isn't as extreme as one corner it fits fine. I used the reference image below as a guide.  Been chasing and trying to get answers from them but no one seem to know what the problem is and say they never had this issue before. So maybe I just installed it wrong? Don't want to spend another $300 on new seals and make the same mistake. 

By the way. Thank you both for providing what I assume is the right answer for the mystery part! Because I'm not in the same country as the car I can't double check but I'm glad I finally have an answer. Thanks again. 

VWS7315R.jpg

WindowStrip.jpeg

HI Alex. From your latest pix it looks like they just vulcanized a straight length into a gasket without forming the corners. I looked at Steele Rubber and they don't list corner window gaskets. Other than finding correctly formed gaskets you are doomed to working with what you have. Some guys cut wedge shaped pieces from the inside of the curve to allow the rubber to make the curve without buckling. Not the best but that may be your only option.

I'm not 100% sure of where the mystery part fits but I'm fairly sure it's a wire harness cover. The formed "dimples" in the ends allow the harness to curve out of the cover without chaffing. Good luck with your Buick.................Bob

I have a friend who recently installed his back glass in his Special.  I'll reach out to him to see if he encountered this issue, and what they did to remedy it.  I don't recall it having this issue when it was here.  Looking at the video I took, there is something different about the seal he used....

• Like 2

I did confirm that he got it from CARS.  It almost looks like the guy who installed my buddy's installed it backwards...or inside out.

Several years ago I ran into the same problem, Alex, with the rear gasket on a 56 Chrysler. I was working with Restoration Specialties to supply a gasket. The first attempts were sized wrong in addition to not having the bottom corners formed causing the buckling you are getting. After three iterations they got the size correct and corners formed. Evidently they were using straight lengths and somehow formed the corner bends. Have no idea how that's done.

Perhaps an inquiry to them will tell you how it's done.

I was working with the father who has since passed away. Not sure if the son is even interested but it might be worth persueing............Bob

These are usually just extrusions attached together in a loop. All will have 2 grooves (for the glass and the pinch weld); some have an additional groove where a rubber bead can be installed to eliminate any puckers (the Metro product for 55 Century windshield).

If no extra groove, cutting wedges at the corners will work:  clean cuts and attach with super glue (the original runny kind).

.I have bought 3 piece rear glass gaskets for my 57 Specials from “Rubber the Right Way” in California. Right shape and correctly molded for proper fit. I believe that they are currently the ONLY source for these parts. At one time Steele had these available but obviously discontinued, probably 15/20 years ago.

I have bought several rubber parts unique to 57 Specials/Centuries and 57 Oldsmobile’s 2 DR HT’s from these folks. Always specify that they are for 46R or 66R models. They are knowledgeable of the model numbers. Service has always been excellent as well as quality.

The unfortunate issue with these folks and the three piece rear glass rubber is that they only sell them in sets. You can’t just buy the corner glass or the center glass rubber. It’s all 3 pieces or none. As previously mentioned the glass (corners and center section) is UNIQUE to the 57 2DR HT period! (Buick’s and Oldsmobile), 4 DrHt’s and sedans are different (taller/wider). 

Hope this helps!

Also, there is an EBay seller, woodwheelsjk, that advertises new 2 DrHt door window frames. I bought some for my 57’s from him and they were excellent reproductions. Chromed and ready to go. He listed them for 57 Oldsmobile 2DR HT’s. I could never convince the guy that they were the same as 57 Buick Special/Century 2 DR HT’s but they are  Identical! Anyway he does not have any currently listed in his store. Might be worth while to contact him to see if he has any or plans another run.

Gary

Edited by g-g-g0 (see edit history)

The installation on the back glass for a Special / Century doe not use any rope or cord for install. It is installed by way of the inner garnish moldings holding the reveal moldings in place, by putting pressure on the seal. I used the CARS seals for my 1957 Buick Special, which used the sedan version of the seals and had no problems. You do have to work the seal a bit around the glass, but it fits and will work. It is very good if you can follow the directions as indicated in the 1957 Buick Body manual, which provides the procedure for the removal and installation of the glass, garnish and reveal moldings. Make sure your guy doing the restoration bought the correct gasket set.

• Like 2

Hello and thank you all for chipping in with different bits of very useful information. 

I think I might keep the ones I have and like some of you recommend, modify them to make sure it fits tightly and glue the rubber to the glass to make sure it sits the way it should.

An observation after all your comments is that the image of the windows from Last Chance Auto Restoration I posted seem to have a seal with the outer lip the makes sure it fits differently. Maybe that was some time ago and those seals existed then. 

2 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

I have bought 3 piece rear glass gaskets for my 57 Specials from “Rubber the Right Way” in California. Right shape and correctly molded for proper fit. I believe that they are currently the ONLY source for these parts.

I did get in touch with them and they said they get their seals from Metro as well, so feel like buying another set from them will just give me the same issue? It's tempting to buy another set however...

6 hours ago, Smartin said:

It almost looks like the guy who installed my buddy's installed it backwards...or inside out.

I agree, it looks like they are inside out, which again, was something I was confused about until I decided to do them the way I did, which to be honest, didn't end up that great, hehe. 

2 hours ago, 1957buickjim said:

The installation on the back glass for a Special / Century doe not use any rope or cord for install. It is installed by way of the inner garnish moldings holding the reveal moldings in place, by putting pressure on the seal

That's a very good point, since I'm missing the middle back window we decided to not continue with the other side glass since the inner moldings help keep the pressure on the side window and middle one at the same time. So hopefully that will help a little bit. 

3 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

Also, there is an EBay seller, woodwheelsjk, that advertises new 2 DrHt door window frames. I bought some for my 57’s from him and they were excellent reproductions. Chromed and ready to go.

I did buy the lower window frame from him and was thinking they're good to go, but they're just straight frames and are missing the attaching bits that should be on the frame? Or am I just not connecting the dots? I haven't tried installing anything so not sure about anything at this stage. 

Anyways, thank you all once again. Some invaluable knowledge on this forum. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AlexHernesten said:

I did buy the lower window frame from him and was thinking they're good to go, but they're just straight frames and are missing the attaching bits that should be on the frame? Or am I just not connecting the dots? I haven't tried installing anything so not sure about anything at this stage. 

Anyways, thank you all once again. Some invaluable knowledge on this forum. 

You are talking about the lower channel I believe. I’m talking about the “L” shaped chrome trim that fits on the glass itself.

For your channel. I believe that the brackets were riveted to the channel. Hopefully your brackets are useable. If so you could rivet your brackets or weld them to the channel. In most of the cars that I disassembled the channel itself was rusted away but the brackets were decent. Even saw where someone had tried to weld the bracket to the rusty channel as a means of repair. Results were less than satisfactory! If your brackets are bad, I possibly might have some old ones that are useable.

As for the rear window gaskets from Rubber the Right Way, they fit my Special perfectly!   Ordered the last set a couple of years ago.  If they are not fitting properly, I would make contact with them. Maybe you have the ones for  sedans/4 DR HT’s. 

Gary

Edited by g-g-g0 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hi Gary, 

Ah yes, I have the the L shaped chrome trim as well. So that should be fine, thank you for clarifying. 

Well I might take you up on your offer related to those brackets, as you can see in the image I think someone has welded them on and one is missing. Or probably was in such bad condition I threw it away as it broke off. At least now I understand what I need to do to make everything fit together. (First time doing a full restoration project...)

Good to know. I might order a set and if they're the same thing I guess I can always return it. Like you say, I have a feeling I might have the Sedan version. Thank you for the recommendation. 

1957BuickCentury2drHT_PartsMissing.008.jpeg

• Like 2

Alex

I will look in the next few days to see what I might have. Will see what I come up with! 

Full restorations/restomoding  (you possibly have seen my 57 Special Restomod project in the modified Forum) projects are a huge undertaking. When I first started messing with 57’s 15+ years ago there were parts and parts cars galore. Totally different today. Stuff is still out there but more difficult to come by!

By the way your project is taking shape! Looking great!

• Like 1

I just reread this whole thread again. Are you missing the.rear center glass? I don’t have one but sold my last one to a guy with a 57 Olds 2 Dr HT project that I think he has given up on. I can check with him to see if he might sell it if you need one. They are pretty hard to find! I do think I have an extra set or two of corners.

Gary

10 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

Are you missing the.rear center glass?

I am indeed. However, I put up a Wanted ad in another section of the forum and have a few potential leads on the rear center glass already. 

Will have to give those sellers a chance first I'm afraid. Will let you know if it falls through. Like you said, haven't been easy to find and many are the tinted version.

I'm at awe of what you're doing, been following from a distance but with great interest. Looking great too!

• Like 1

Just make sure you get the right one! The one you need is narrower (top to bottom) than  the sedan one. Not a lot of difference. I think I have a sedan one that I can measure which will be the one you DON’T need!