Shipping a car from Canada to Australia

Hi everyone, 

I live in Australia. I’ve previously imported cars from the US, four from Long Beach and one from Savannah GA, all for my own use.

I’m interested in a car located in Quebec, the owner knows nothing about shipping and, to be fair, probably doesn’t care.

My question is should I attempt to ship it from Canada or bring it into the States and ship from, say, New York? 

Can anyone assist?

Many thanks, John.

Here's a link to a thread on this forum discussing shipping a car from Canada to the U.S.:

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Grog

Why cross a border with all the paperwork, and expense twice ? It's probably no more expensive to ship directly from Canada than a U.S. port. Depending on what the car is, getting it into the U.S. can be a convoluted process. Canada does not use titles, just registration documents. Getting a U.S. title can be an involved process depending on which state you are importing to and the age of the car. In order to then export the car from the U.S. to Australia you are going to need a title. It's not legal to export a road vehicle automobile from the U.S. without a title. Purpose built racing cars can be exported on a bill of sale as they are not and never have been eligible for a title, but almost anything else will need one. 

Greg in Canada, more than a few gray hairs from jumping through flaming hoops at the border.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Yellowriv said:

Hi everyone, 

I live in Australia. I’ve previously imported cars from the US, four from Long Beach and one from Savannah GA, all for my own use.

I’m interested in a car located in Quebec, the owner knows nothing about shipping and, to be fair, probably doesn’t care.

My question is should I attempt to ship it from Canada or bring it into the States and ship from, say, New York? 

Can anyone assist?

Many thanks, John.

THat

s a piece of cake.  If the car is anywhere near Montreal it will even be easier. I have shipped  motorcycles out of Montreal to Europe several times and one crated 4 wheel dirt tracker to Melbourne Australia.  The docks are right there at Lachine.  a suburb of Montreal 

contact Bollore Logistics Canada

• Like 4

It is a relatively easy process to ship from Canada. I know a chap who has sent many cars to Australia. Just make sure it's a car that's allowed in the country  without having all the 

'toxic" material removed. Such as brake shoes, clutch, insulation, etc. I do know that prevented a Buick from being shipped. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

It is a relatively easy process to ship from Canada. I know a chap who has sent many cars to Australia. Just make sure it's a car that's allowed in the country  without having all the 

'toxic" material removed. Such as brake shoes, clutch, insulation, etc. I do know that prevented a Buick from being shipped. 

There is also the possible requirement of a Heritage Export Permit which is something not many are aware of.It depends on several criteria but if the car has some Canadian significance etc this may be necessary

I would have thought your biggest problem was getting around the zero tolerance on importing asbestos with the Australian Customs. Bernie (oldcar) discussed this at great lengths in one of his previous threads. I was in the understanding that there have been very few privately imported vehicles into Australia in the past couple of years due to the asbestos restrictions, unless you take efforts to remove brake and clutch linings, gaskets etc. If Bernie could chip in, it would be good as he's had prior experience importing an older car into Australia in recent times.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Yellowriv said:

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

Craig, thanks. I’m aware of the asbestos issues, I believe I can deal with them.

Cheers

John.

I sure hope so! I know of a very nice 1966 Buick that didn't get shipped because the buyer wasn't going to go thru the hassle. The logistic's aren't a problem, just the current Aussie govt. regs.

I shipped a set of wooden spoked wheels for a 1929 Dodge to Australia from Canada 2 years ago. I made up a wooden crate , strapped together solidly. When the shipper arrived he said the crate would not meet Aussi customs requirements, it had to be cased with pressure treated wood product. He directed me to an on-line site for details. Remade the case (cost buyer an extra $100) with PT plywood, and off it went. Buyer told me the shipment was impounded at his end and he had to pay to have the wheels de-fumigated. Quite a process I guess, but he was happy to finally get the wheels. 

I have shipped a car to Australia from Canada and I have shipped a car from Australia to Canada.

I even loaded up with extra parts both ways.

It is seamless and easy if you have your paperwork in order.

You just have to be patient as the ship(s) hits a few ports along the way.

I use containers for offshore moves.

The only issues are temperature and humidity fluctuations and can cause some mildew on the headliner.

It is an easy fix though with common cleaners.

I shipped to and from Port of Vancouver BC.

The only other thing to make sure of is to have insurance coverage on it prior to leaving its home port.

I have not suffered any damage to date.

It is just as easy to ship cars and parts from Canada to the USA and from the USA to Canada.

Either doing the haul your self or using a common carrier to get it to the designate border to pick it up from.

For bringing cars up from the US I ship to the nearest border crossing and go down with my car trailer.

For Canada to the US or other foreign Port I use an International shipping company.

They stuff the container for an offshore destination.

For a land based destination I use a common hauler.

I just shipped a 1946 Dodge 1/2 ton from Vancouver to France.

And that is a painless process as well using an international shipper.

I have shipped many cars to the US and brought many cars up from the US to CDN.

Edited by dodgebrother (see edit history)
  • Like 1
On 1/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

I'd like an Aussie to comment on shipping anything containing wood (body framing) into the country. Just wondering if it could be as difficult to import a wood framed car as I suspect it could be.

Not too much hassle, you can have it cleaned stateside and then an inspection on arrival (though you may need to do a reclean) didn’t have any problems with asbestos or wood