Jump to content

Classic Car Club of America approved vehicle list - complete


AZMustang_1977
 Share

Recommended Posts

Go to  classiccarclub.org/grand_classics/approved_classics_2019.html     .

 

Definitely no Fords. Only prewar  and a few '40's postwar Lincolns. Mass produced assembly line cars just don't fit the definition of a "classic" car. The term has to be one of the most misused words in the car hobby.

 

The Classic Car Club website defines what attributes are required for classic car status.

 

Jim

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CCCA lists cars that they consider "Classic,"

which is the same term as "Full Classic."

As noted, they were expensive cars of limited 

production, mostly before World War II.

 

However, they don't own the word!  The word

"classic," with a lower-case letter, is widely used by

everyone else to describe old cars that people enjoy.

There is no list for that--it's what you make it to be!

 

As Steve Moskowitz intimated above, the AACA is the

club for collectible cars of all sorts.  Vehicles 25 years

old, or older, are eligible to participate in their events.

If you join the national organization, you can also join

a "region" near you that will enable you to know other

local car fans, and participate in many fun local activities.

Being active in AACA can really enhance your enjoyment

of your old car.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2020 at 2:46 PM, J.H.Boland said:

Go to  classiccarclub.org/grand_classics/approved_classics_2019.html     .

 

Definitely no Fords. 

Yes, there one Ford in CCCA and possible have been one or two more  - super rare "Custom" bodies. And, there are Brewster Fords.  However, there are no Cunningham Fords.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Yes, there one Ford in CCCA and possible have been one or two more  - super rare "Custom" bodies. And, there are Brewster Fords.  However, there are no Cunningham Fords.  

 

I stand corrected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a one off Ford roadster with a european body in restoration, and it will premier at Pebble in the next year or two.........it's a CCCA Classic. Cars is about a 34-36 year, I can't remember. Owned by one of the top collectors in the country.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AZ, The C.C.C.A is a club that specializes in 1915-1948 vehicles if fine and unusual distinction. The cars that qualify for the club can be found on their website. As Steve points out your vehicle would be welcome in the A.A.C.A. As to when your vehicle would be accepted into the "Classic" category, not to hurt your feelings, I would say never.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No different than any other specialty club.  I was a CCCA member but never thought of pressing for inclusion of cars like our mass produced mid-range Jr. Packard anymore than I would think of bringing our SL to a traditional hot rod meet. 

 

OP I think was looking to get motors running here... I never get why CCCA gets bashed but other niches don't, could it be reverse snobbery? 🤔

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, padgett said:

Snob cars


 

Yup........I like the snobby, elitist junk from the pre war era.........glad no one else likes them!

  • Like 10
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a CCCA member for many years and like any club met both snobs and highly inclusive people along the way. Other than the AACA (thank you West Petersen), their publications were and are, first rate. I think there's plenty of room for all interests in this hobby, even if you do like snobby cars!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have always been many wonderful people in many different facets of vintage vehicle clubs for as long as I can remember. 

 

I grew up in an enthusiastic family of vintage car lovers. Born in 1953, I drove my first gas-powered "car" in antique car parade in 1957. Rode to my wedding reception in a little parade in a Kissel touring (now owned by Ron Hausman) in 1974, and received a 40 Ford coupe as our wedding present. So I've been at it for a while. 

 

Anyway, my parents had one old car at a time, for most our lives...mostly Hupmobiles, Fords, or etc. Over the years we belonged to the AACA (Southern Ohio Chapter), the Veteran Car Club (the folks with BULB HORN magazine), The Classic Car Club of America, the Hupmobile club, and the "Ding-a-lings" (regional antique fire truck club), and probably some others. Yet we never owned a genuine "Classic" car. We never owned a really early brass era car, and we never owned a fire truck either. But we belonged to all those clubs because of the many wonderful people who were members there. And we were welcomed warmly. Ours was a very modest single-income family during my childhood, but no one seemed to care...

 

In my many years of involvement in vintage vehicle clubs and informal groups, etc, I have met many, many wonderful and kind people. I also met a few "snobs," or other people whose company I didn't enjoy much. But even as a very small child, I remember the kindness of the vast majority of them. And I can say with some confidence that I did not encounter any greater percentage of unpleasant people in Classic car circles, or among people who owned expensive vintage cars. Wealth does not equal snobbishness, and the CCCA's interest in maintaining the special status and recognition of "Full Classic" cars does not equal a downturned nose aimed at all other makes, models, and years of old vehicles. 

 

Just my take on it. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lump you stated that very very well. Especially the first two sentences of your last paragraph.

 

The assorted clubs have their focus and criteria, some are more into judging, some social activities, some tours etc. All have merit and are there for those of us who collect "used cars". which is what all of the stuff we own is! There are lots of clubs to belong to , all want you to be a member of their particular group and send in your annual dues for their organization. Some great clubs like any other organization can go from great to not so great in your opinion . I joined my first old car club in 1964. I currently belong to the Buick Club of America and their local region, as well as AACA . I am very happy with both clubs, great focus, etc. For nearly 50  years was involved in CCCA, but am no longer. Times change and people change , you have to go with a club or people that you are comfortable with, life is very very short, we have the cars we do because they make us feel good - they relieve the every day stress that we have to cope with. Go with the flow that makes you feel good because you are welcomed with open arms of friendship.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, lump said:

There have always been many wonderful people in many different facets of vintage vehicle clubs for as long as I can remember. 

 

I grew up in an enthusiastic family of vintage car lovers. Born in 1953, I drove my first gas-powered "car" in antique car parade in 1957. Rode to my wedding reception in a little parade in a Kissel touring (now owned by Ron Hausman) in 1974, and received a 40 Ford coupe as our wedding present. So I've been at it for a while. 

 

Anyway, my parents had one old car at a time, for most our lives...mostly Hupmobiles, Fords, or etc. Over the years we belonged to the AACA (Southern Ohio Chapter), the Veteran Car Club (the folks with BULB HORN magazine), The Classic Car Club of America, the Hupmobile club, and the "Ding-a-lings" (regional antique fire truck club), and probably some others. Yet we never owned a genuine "Classic" car. We never owned a really early brass era car, and we never owned a fire truck either. But we belonged to all those clubs because of the many wonderful people who were members there. And we were welcomed warmly. Ours was a very modest single-income family during my childhood, but no one seemed to care...

 

In my many years of involvement in vintage vehicle clubs and informal groups, etc, I have met many, many wonderful and kind people. I also met a few "snobs," or other people whose company I didn't enjoy much. But even as a very small child, I remember the kindness of the vast majority of them. And I can say with some confidence that I did not encounter any greater percentage of unpleasant people in Classic car circles, or among people who owned expensive vintage cars. Wealth does not equal snobbishness, and the CCCA's interest in maintaining the special status and recognition of "Full Classic" cars does not equal a downturned nose aimed at all other makes, models, and years of old vehicles. 

 

Just my take on it. 

We still have a great group in the Southern Ohio Chapter AACA and it is growing and have tour/event hosts for about every month this year. Even new officers and Gauge editor. Hopefully you can make it to some events/tours this year. I will be pestering you and West this year. 

 

Tom Muth

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, some of you guy's are tough. There are clubs for just about any type of collector vehicle. Clubs for Model T's, Model A's, Tri-Five Chevy's, T-Birds Etc. The C.C.C.A happens to have true Classic cars. You wouldn't join a Packard club with an Nash. The term "Classic Car" is thrown around too much. People see a 1950 Hudson and call it a classic car, it's simply not. The A.A.C.A welcomes them all. I think Lump sums it up perfectly!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Oh you know those people with exclusive cars." I always thought the root word of exclusive was "exclude". No shortage of that in geezerland. Did you give the arms crossed "Hrumph" today?

 

One short step from the balcony seat to the row of six folding chairs at any car show entrance.

image.thumb.png.52532e1957698fb876a5738e2de46be0.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, tomcarnut said:

We still have a great group in the Southern Ohio Chapter AACA and it is growing and have tour/event hosts for about every month this year. Even new officers and Gauge editor. Hopefully you can make it to some events/tours this year. I will be pestering you and West this year. 

 

Tom Muth

Tom, 

Do please continue "pestering." We really do want to get a little more active again, although we must admit that our current work schedule includes LOTS of weekends during warm weather seasons. But we'll get there. And thank you so much for not giving up on us yet! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Remember that you'll have to deal with the Harwoods if you show up for Tom's events...

Would enjoy meeting the Harwoods. We have been away from the Southern Ohio Chapter of AACA for too long. Thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim,

 

The Harwoods and Muths plan to be at the Ohio Region Spring Tour in Wooster, Oh hosted by the Canton Chapter May 15-17.Any other Forum users from Ohio should join us. Canton always puts on a great weekend tour.  We should also have a local SOC event in February I think in the Lebanon area. Will sent the Gauge to you soon once our new editor gets up to speed. 

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2020 at 3:56 PM, tomcarnut said:

We still have a great group in the Southern Ohio Chapter AACA and it is growing and have tour/event hosts for about every month this year. Even new officers and Gauge editor. Hopefully you can make it to some events/tours this year. I will be pestering you and West this year. 

 

Tom Muth

That is because people plan interesting events and .... matched to your Region being one of the first on AACA and this still being a dense car area for cars (albeit it nothing like when I was a kid).   I am sure you equally remember, but when I was a kid in the 70's and a "special - tour of a collection, overnight. or ..." event was held people came from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and ... - it was a BIG deal.  And, the cars were SPECTACULAR ! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found over the decades that no matter how spectacular the cars are it is the people involved in the events of a club that set the tone . Collectors may or may not recognize it or admit it but genuine enthusiasm is what makes an event "the best". It also reflects the attitude of everything , every event, the publications etc. Members and officers of the clubs have to respect the laws set down by the national club which they abide by ( or are supposed to) and want the local regions and chapters to follow who give a local input to members across the country and world. Let that slide and the clubs will fade fast - region members have to pay national dues, not let regional officers 'let that slide' because the people who don't pay the national dues 'are nice people'. It is why national clubs loose their solid base.

You need great publications on a regular basis, with print or electronically to go to members - it makes all of those who are members that do not have a car on the road "yet" or do not have a car at all feel that they are thought of and regarded as much as someone who has had a half dozen cars on the road and actively uses them for decades. I have seen clubs and regions of same fade due to people who are in charge not realizing what has to be done consistently to keep it all going. Engage new members to help, ask long time members for suggestions .

Reading what the Southern Ohio Region is doing and has done is heartwarming!!! It ain't easy!  That enthusiasm is here on long island in the Long Island Buick Club Chapter as well. Keep up your spirits everyone, especially the officers and board of Directors , you set the tone.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

... but one of the silliest things... ... is putting down a car because you think that it's owner is a snob. 

Yep, it's not the cars fault.

I sure hope my cars will never be blamed for my shortcomings.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2020 at 11:50 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I never get why CCCA gets bashed but other niches don't, could it be reverse snobbery? 🤔

I went to my first event with CCCA 5 years ago and it was my last. Meet many very nice friendly members on the weekend and had a great time. But I was turned off by a fellow that thought very highly of himself parked next to me. Never went back and now attend AACA national events and it has been great. I am not saying for others to not join CCCA but just not for me. I also belong to ACCCC, Vintage Group, VMCCA, HCCA and OMLC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago,I was invited to show my '21 Chevy roadster pickup at a 100 year anniversary celebration of a local church. I was parked beside a huge 1921 Rolls Royce touring. It was owned by a distinguished looking gent, who approached me,very formally, and asked me to please move my Chevy. I somewhat indignantly asked why. He replied that people thought it was so damned cute that no-one was looking at his Rolls ! It was my first encounter with a classic car owner and we had a great visit that afternoon.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I went to my first event with CCCA 5 years ago and it was my last. Meet many very nice friendly members on the weekend and had a great time. But I was turned off by a fellow that thought very highly of himself parked next to me. Never went back and now attend AACA national events and it has been great. I am not saying for others to not join CCCA but just not for me. I also belong to ACCCC, Vintage Group, VMCCA, HCCA and OMLC. 

 

The Pierce Arrow Society is the best group of folks I have ever met.

I have yet to have a bad experience with anyone associated with the PAS.

There have been plenty of instances where PAS members have offered up parts freely at meets when there were issues with another member's car.

And then there are the regular threads on the PAS website where members eagerly offer up parts they have been hoarding for years to help another member get on the road.

 

And then I have experienced model specific clubs where members have been rather offstandish and rude to other members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, zepher said:

The Pierce Arrow Society is the best group of folks I have ever met.

I have a very good friend that worked on a vintage tour last year with me. He is also one of the editors of the Pierce Arrow Society publication. 

Sorry I posted what happened on that weekend event and hope it does not reflect to the club. There is a different personality conflict in many different types of clubs if it is car club or a bridge group.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

I have a very good friend that worked on a vintage tour last year with me. He is also one of the editors of the Pierce Arrow Society publication. 

Sorry I posted what happened on that weekend event and hope it does not reflect to the club. There is a different personality conflict in many different types of clubs if it is car club or a bridge group.  

 

No worries.

Every meet or gathering I have been to has been an outstanding experience.

The core members are the most generous and giving group of folks I have ever met.

Over the years I have maybe run into 2 members that were a little stodgy but they never took away from the overall experience.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, edinmass said:


 

Yup........I like the snobby, elitist junk from the pre war era.........glad no one else likes them!

Ed I like pre war Studebaker’s. My 30 President and 21 special six are the only Studebaker’s I know of in southern Maine. 
can any of you.... meaning you Ed , help me with a body color for the 21 ?

sean 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...