'52 Special

Hello fellow Buick fans! I have a '52 Buick Special 45R series coupe project that is on the back burner for now. That doesn't stop me from picking up parts when I find them. I hope to gather much information and tips here. Unfortunately it is very rough, in need of a windshield and engine, also many other parts, but I can't justify parting it out due to the fact that there aren't many out there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears that DVAP may have the right vehicle in their parts car list. I haven't heard of Bud's Salvage before, any contact or web site info?  Is it me, or is DVAP a little pricey? I see fenders listed for $400, I'm used to seeing them for about half of that around here for used. I have a 1951 "Special" quarter script (drivers quality), I need a '52, anybody want to swap? For the record, i am not trying to do anything more than build a driver, no show cars for me. I have a saying 'I'd rather have five $10,000 cars than one $50,000 car."

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Super "Riviera", You can tell by the quarter panels, they are removable panels, whereas the Specials do not have removable quarters. They are built on a smaller body style of similar scale to Chevrolet. I forget the alphabetic designation for the body size classes, perhaps a "B" class? Thanks for keeping an eye out though!

Edited by Rusty Heaps (see edit history)

On 2/27/2020 at 10:21 AM, Rusty Heaps said:

It appears that DVAP may have the right vehicle in their parts car list. I haven't heard of Bud's Salvage before, any contact or web site info?  Is it me, or is DVAP a little pricey? I see fenders listed for $400, I'm used to seeing them for about half of that around here for used. I have a 1951 "Special" quarter script (drivers quality), I need a '52, anybody want to swap? For the record, i am not trying to do anything more than build a driver, no show cars for me. I have a saying 'I'd rather have five $10,000 cars than one $50,000 car."

Pricey is in the eye of the buyer.  If the part you need is not available anywhere else then your choice may be limited.  I once bought a door for a '69 Electra 2 dr from DVAP.  It was a like new part!  

• 1 month later...

Well guys I bit the bullet and purchased a new windshield from Auto City Classic, and gasket from Steele Rubber Products a few days ago for the baby Buick. Not cheap, but I figured I have to have a windshield, otherwise it’s not a car. The up side of the Corona virus thing is that I have had a lot of time on my hands to make progress on the ‘52, so I pulled the seats and stripped them down to frames ( they were nothing but rotten fabric),worked and sanded the floors and interior side of roof, painted the floors and interior side of the roof, painted garnish moldings and dash, removed old windshield gasket and trim and painted the opening after cleaning it well. Now to removing the wiper motor and refurbish it, and finish working the trunk area in preparation for paint. Anyone know where to purchase trunk cardboards for this car? Also door and quarter cardboards? I’m trying to keep myself entertained at home with limited financial resources, so let’s see what else I can find that doesn’t cost much, but involves labor. Perhaps when this crisis is over, I may find an engine when money is not as tight. Sorry for the rambling, I hope everyone is doing well.

A possible source for parts is Trenton Browne Salvage in Sunset, Texas. Google or he is on Facebook. Usually good to get along with! Don’t know if he has anything for your car. I have lots of 51/52 Super and Roadmaster parts but no motor. Another potential source for parts is Jim’s Vintage Auto in Mountain Home, ID. Not sure what he has in inventory.

By by the way, nice looking project!

Gary