1953 Chevrolet 150 2dr Sedan UNRESTORED! F/S

This 1953 Chevrolet 150 two door sedan, was bought new by a friend of the family from Bayer Chevrolet in Long Island City in Queens NY. My father had always wanted the car and was promised first opportunity to purchase the car when the original owner decided she was going to sell it. There is ZERO rust/rot on the car and has just a little over 40,000 miles on it. My father took ownership of the car in the early 80's and I inherited the car 10 years ago. It was off the road for some time prior to my fathers passing. I installed 5 brand new bias ply tires, a new fuel tank and sender, new fuel lines, new brake lines (steel and rubber), master cylinder and wheel cylinders, as well as all brake hardware and shoes; radiator was boiled out, new water pump and hoses.  carburetor was rebuilt as well as the fuel pump.  It has been certified HPOF by both the AACA and VCCA. The interior is original and is in nice shape,  still has the original dealer installed cover on the rear seat (I removed the cover off of the front seat it was torn and uncomfortable to sit on) The car has the cheap heater and a radio delete, as well as a three speed transmission.  

The car runs and drives great, my reason for selling it is that I need to start downsizing and I just don't use it. As you can see this car has all of the patina that can not be replicated. The chrome was redone by my father prior to any clubs acknowledging unrestored cars. I had to paint the rims and had them pin stripped prior to mounting the new tires.   I will post more pictures of the bottom of the car later today. It is located in central Florida the price is firm at $9,000 more information please email me at johnmahchv@aol.com or PM me

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5804.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

• Like 9

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

Man, what a nice car for the money, that's going to be a great car for someone to have a lot of fun with.....thanks for posting here, hope it finds a good home quickly...

Thanks for the compliment David, I feel it is a good car at a realistic price. I want it to go to a good home and some one who will appreciate it, and preserve it

I forgot to mention that I replaced the exhaust also

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Very clean car at a fair price.  Should be reliable as can be.

Thank-you as well Plymouth Cranbrook.

• Like 1

Love it.

If it was only a two-tone green 210 four door like my parents bought. I remember going to Bates Chevrolet in Springfield, Illinois in our '46 Chevy club coupe to get our new 1953. I remember being amazed that our '46 was sold before we left the dealership in the '53.

Henry Feinberg

• Like 2

Boy, the wider C-pillar and smaller rear window on this car give it such a different look from the 210 and Bel Air 2-dr sedan.  I really like it.  I can't say for sure I've ever seen one of these in the flesh, so to speak.

What a great looking Chevy!.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dosmo said:

I can't say for sure I've ever seen one of these in the flesh, so to speak.

Unless you are really young, I bet you have!  A '53 Chevrolet 150 was extremely common when they were new.  They were very durable, and parts were always available, and as a result, many could still be seen on the roads in regular service well into the 1970's.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

Unless you are really young, I bet you have!  A '53 Chevrolet 150 was extremely common new,  They were very durable, and parts were always available, and as a result, many could still be seen on the roads in regular service well into the 1970's.

Craig

Actually the 150 Club Coupe had a production of just under 7,000  and the two door sedan had a production just under 80,000. The two doors were not that common. This car has been in or around my family since new and we seldom ever saw another one and we were looking as well.

I would imagine they were sold to traveling salesmen much of the time that used them heavily when new so they were worn out and replaced in a few years so you wouldn't see many on the road after the late 50's.   You see alot of cars like this in the old bid letters  (atelast the ones I have had from the early 60's) from companies like Ford 2 to 3 years old with alot of miles and "fair " condition with few options on lesser model cars.

It's a cool reasonably priced time capsule as is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

On the bill of sale it says "Driveway Balt. - $8.50." Any idea what that is?  

I believe that's "Driveaway Balt.", which I would take to mean it was either picked up in, or delivered from, Baltimore.  "Driveaway" now means that someone other than yourself drives your car to a specific destination.  

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

I believe that's "Driveaway Balt.", which I would take to mean it was either picked up in, or delivered from, Baltimore.  "Driveaway" now means that someone other than yourself drives your car to a specific destination.  

Good question, and I can't comment on that. I know that she was a NYC school teacher and lived in the same apartment house as my grand parents. I never noticed it before until it was pointed out now. I also have the original leather key case with the dealer "Bayer Chevrolet" on it.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

That is a nice looking '53, John. I know when this Chevy was new, it wasn't uncommon for dealers to have drivers go to the factory to pick up cars. I wonder how many miles were on the car when delivered to the dealership.. I remember Bayer  Chevy later became Major Chevrolet . Good luck with the sale

On 1/15/2020 at 12:28 PM, trimacar said:

My friend Ciri just told me that Long Island is about 220 miles from Baltimore and I know that gas was only about 25 cents a gallon back then but isn't $8.50 pretty cheap to have a guy drive it up from there? And how does he get back-take a bus? :huh:

$9000,Hmmm,Interesting.I had our yearly meeting with my financial investor yesterday and he informed me of a new law that says when a person turns 71 1/2 they have to have $9000 taken out of their IRA whether they like it or not,of course they have to pay tax on it.What better way to spend it than to buy an old car! I'll turn 70 next month so I'm a little too young for that to apply to me. It's awfully tempting since I'm in central Florida too. A guy wants to buy my 74 MG for his daughter but I don't think he will give me $9000,maybe $6500 or so. Nice car,Greg.

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

$9000,Hmmm,Interesting.I had our yearly meeting with my financial investor yesterday and he informed me of a new law that says when a person turns 71 1/2 they have to have $9000 taken out of their IRA whether they like it or not,of course they have to pay tax on it.What better way to spend it than to buy an old car! I'll turn 70 next month so I'm a little too young for that to apply to me. It's awfully tempting since I'm in central Florida too. A guy wants to buy my 74 MG for his daughter but I don't think he will give me $9000,maybe $6500 or so. Nice car,Greg.

What kind of a law is that  ? I am happy to be in Belgium where such laws do not excist .

3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

My friend Ciri just told me that Long Island is about 220 miles from Baltimore and I know that gas was only about 25 cents a gallon back then but isn't $8.50 pretty cheap to have a guy drive it up from there? And how does he get back-take a bus? :huh:

There were different ways in bringing cars to the dealers from the factory, other than trucking. Some dealers hired drivers who would take a train, or bus to the cities where factory were, and drove the cars back.  I heard of a  Hudson dealer  that would provide a driver with a car  and tow bar, so the  new cars could be flat towed back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I am going to be away from the computer for a few days,

That can be a good thing at times.  Really like your car!  As a young kid two neighbors had 1953 Chevys, one was like yours, two door,  all black and the stone guard was rubber not chrome.  The other was a four door, green with white roof and more chrome trim.  Both were on the road until the mid 1970s.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, chevyrod1938 said:

Perfect time capsule car to enjoy just as is, you are only original once !!  Just the right amount of patena and a real deal for the money.

Thanks Chevyrod, after some conversation with my oldest son,  he is going to take the 53, so it is no longer for sale.

• Like 3