Danteval1

ABS pump removal

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm in agreement with 2seater on how a banjo fitting normally seals.  Unless you know for sure that the banjo fitting on the pump is designed to be used with an o-ring you might want to rethink using an o-ring for a seal.  The brakes is one place you don't want to take any chances with something going wrong.

I took a look at the breakdown of the ABS unit. On either side of the banjo is an o ring, there is a key attached to the image in the shop manual and it states O-Ring.

I tried bleeding the brakes and I got no pressure. I hooked up a vacuum pump connected to a clear hose to try sucking the air out of the lines and it was bubbling like a bong. This leads me to believe that my union fittings were were not seated right, it drips. I did not flare the line connecting the union, figured that is why they call it a "compression fitting". Im going to flare and try to seat this thing properly. I have a three day weekend ahead of me, my goal is to finish it by then. The pump works, i'll probably need another accumulator, it appears to be from the factory. I took apart the other pump on the other Teves, and they appear to be interchangeable. I now have two pumps. 

Once again, Thanks for the help. I have more and more confidence as the time goes on. I would have had this fixed by now, but I work full time and go to school full time. 

Good deal on the o-ring seal, I had never seen such before in similar applications. 

I admit I am a bit lost on the term compression fitting. I saw the reference earlier and assumed it was used in a generic sense as the parts pictured were not a conventional compression fitting as I know them. What did the end of the tube look like that broke off of the steel brake line? This is a bubble flare as used on the pump output steel line.

IMG_1123.JPG

Ya, it was a bubble flare. This is the middle one to the rear brakes. I’m not getting why they use brass. I chewed this up like bubble gum.  

I also attached a photo of a compression fitting, the one I used. I need to get some flare wrenches to do this right. I’m trying to get my lines to be air tight like a fishes ass. It’s not so far. 

74461CCC-2733-482A-8ECD-33A9B519B50C.jpeg

4F238B70-9417-4FF3-9D65-14C6D0FE0F04.jpeg

I apologize for being critical of what you are doing. Just to be on the safe side I wouldn't use a compression fitting like the one shown in your photo that require a ferrule. You should to use flare fittings made for bubble flare connections. Bubble flare fittings are a little harder to work with but they are a much better connection than compression fittings.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

You can rent bubble flare tools for free at Advance Auto or AutoZone.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

I don't want to pile on either, but a compression fitting like that, even if it sealed, doesn't have the pressure rating required for the brake system. It is also difficult to get that type to seal on a steel line that won't deform. Usually they are used on softer materials, copper for one, but also plastic with an inner support. The flare is pretty straightforward to make, with a little practice, far easier than an inverted double flare as used previously. The fittings illustrated earlier weren't what you used???

Honestly, you guys have been awesome. Pile as much as you want on. 

I did the fitting and spliced the lines. I bought a flare tool kit too. The repair I have is not permanent. I had to completely redo it because everything was leaking. Now, everything’s is fine. I have to buy a new accumulator. When I do, I’ll replace all the lines.. I no longer have an air/fluid passing sound in the brake pedal. When I get the accumulator in the next few week, I’ll replace the lines. I drive about 2 miles a day. 

Seems like my rear brake caliper is seized. Parking brake does not work. Anyway, thanks for the help, it was a success.