Speedometer Repair

My speedometer at the dash end seems to be seized,I cannot turn the drive shaft. Is there a way to lubricate it if I remove it from the cluster.

Thanks everyone you have all been helpful

DSC00335.JPG

DSC00337.JPG

When the magnet does not spin, I soak the end of the housing in Marvel Mystery Oil. It may take a couple of weeks to free it up. Try turning it ccw every couple of days. The second photo shows a severely damaged speedometer. The spring will have to  be replaced along with the needle. If it were mine, I would look for another unit.

Thanks Tom, This is an old spare that I used to experiment with. When you add the mystery oil do you totally remove it like the photo, or can I just add some oil through the input shaft. 

I filled a container with MMO and then submerged the portion of the speedometer housing that has the magnet. The container that I used was an old tin measuring cup, the housing just fit into it. I did not disassemble the speedometer, as it was a NOS one that had just been in its packaging for 75 years.

Be very careful. The last thing you want to do is to break the pin that the pointer attaches to. They are very fragile. I’ve had good luck warming the housing where the cable attaches to free up frozen speedometer heads.  

Thank's Ken, your idea did loosen the magnet however there is still significant resistance . I will keep heating it with the wife's hair dryer over the next couple of day's. If that does not work I will remove the housing and try to squirt some contact cleaner down inside the magnet. I know the short cable just needs the nut removed to enable the cable to slide right on through with the unit. hopefully I won't drop it. 

OK, Removed it from the main housing, that enabled me to shoot some contact cleaner then WD40 inside the lower drum . This loosen the old dried grease and I was able to clean it up . It spins like a dream. I will not lubricate it because I am not sure what is required.