nzcarnerd

Some pics from California

These were posted on the California History facebook page. I can only assume they are from the same dealership - there is no info with them.

The only car I think I recognise is the car on the left in the workshop which might be a circa 1922 Chevrolet FB.

Cal history office.jpg

Cal history showroom.jpg

California history - Copy (2).jpg

California history - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

That is a nice showroom. I wonder where it was?

Maybe if someone knew who White or Humphries were?

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

The cars pictured in the shop appear to have 1920 California license plates.

The pictures, below, likely identify the dealership and the unknown sedan in the showroom as a Standard Eight (made in Butler, Pennsylvania).  The trade magazine article is from April 1920.

1920 Showroom White Humphries R1.jpg

1919 Showroom Standard Eight R1.jpg

• Like 5

Magnum PI has got nothing on you Grandpa! 😄

The pictured is the same building that housed the dealership circa 1920.  Note that in the second vintage picture of the showroom, the outside corner of the building has an angled design.

1920 Showroom White Humphries R3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pictured is the home of Herbert Fowler Humphries (B: August 1892) located in Westwood Park, 683 Miramar Ave., San Francisco, CA.  Note that the house is little changed from the vintage Baldwin & Howell ad (above) posted by Mike6024.  The 1917 Westwood Park development was a segregated neighborhood for white families only.  This 2,000 sq. ft. house is estimated to be worth about $1,700,000 (USD) today.

1920 Herbert Humphries Home.jpg

• Like 1

Did Standard manufacture their own V-type eight cylinder engine or outsource it from a propriety engine maker?

12 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Standard Eight dealers build bungalow houses in Westwood Park San Fransisco -

The picture of the car here shows us that the middle of three in the workshop is a Standard - note the distinctive head lamp set up.

Pictured is a vintage picture of a Standard 8 sedan; could be the same car shown in the Baldwin & Howell ad.

1920 Standard 8 R1.jpg

• Like 1

So they had smaller lights below the main headlights.

Pictured is a Standard 8 touring car; could be the same car in the Camp Curry picture (above).  Perhaps Herbert F. Humphries is driving with his wife and grandma in the back seat.  Note that in the image of the sedan in a park (prior post, above) that the driver is about the right age for Herbert Humphries wife and there is an older woman in the back seat.

1920 Standard 8 open R1.jpg

• Like 1

Found my book of US car serial numbers. For 1920 the Standard was the Model I and numbers went from I1600 to I3604.

They seem to have had a brief heyday in the late teens/ early '20s but went out of business about 1923 - as I think several other makes did. Mitchell is one that comes to mind. Must have been something about the post WW1 financial climate that made business difficult.

• Like 1

The other automobile sold by White-Humphries Company was the Commonwealth.  There is a Commonwealth touring car shown in the dealer's shop area.

1920 Commonwealth 1.jpg

1920 Commonwealth 3.jpg

1920 Commonwealth 4.jpg

• Like 1

It is good that progress is being made on this. Now we just need to identify the other car in the workshop.

Or is it another Commonwealth?

California history - Copy - Copy.jpg

The park lamps below the headlamps is rather prophetic for a car this early.

1159182178_1920Standard8open2detailR0.jpg.ec9580b3c5c8b502193ab02b605c073a.jpg

I believe that the car shown on the right side of the dealership shop photo in a new Commonwealth.  All three cars in the shop have the same license plate number.  In 1920, the California dealer plates have a single letter on the left side followed by a dash and then numbers.  Non-dealer plates use only numbers.  An automobile dealer would be issued license plates with the same number; the dealer would request the number of plates needed.  In later years, dealer license plates would only be used on the rear of the car. 

mike,

Your link to the Van Ness Auto Row shows some magnificent dealerships! Thanks for the share.

20200113_141557.jpg

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

The park lamps below the headlamps is rather prophetic for a car this early.

1159182178_1920Standard8open2detailR0.jpg.ec9580b3c5c8b502193ab02b605c073a.jpg

Of course the most well-known exponent of the 'park lamps under the head lamps' was Packard with their Twin Six, beginning in 1915.

Image result for 1915 packard twin six

• Like 1

Just now, nzcarnerd said:

Of course the most well-known exponent of the 'park lamps under the head lamps' was Packard with their Twin Six, beginning in 1915.

Image result for 1915 packard twin six

Checking further I see the last of the big sixes also had them - pic from a 1916 movie. 

Image result for 1915 packard 48

The 1918 - 1919 Packard was the last year for the parking lights located under the headlights.

1919 Packard.jpg