Sign in to follow this  
GaryBudd

1929 DeSoto K Wiper motor question

When I got the car wiper motor was off the car. I've taken it apart,cleaned and lubed.I hooked it up off the car and it works.Now my question.How was it turned on and off? Maybe a valve on dash board? I don't see anything like that on mine.Any help/photos would be appreciated.

Photos? Does it not have a slide bar for actuating the is on the driver's compartment side of the unit?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My '31 CG has a valve under the dash just inside the driver's door.

It is a little twist valve that controls the vacuum hose going to both wipers.

It is located down under the ignition key cylinder.

Toggle switch is for the Trippes.

Sorry, car is in storage for the winter so I can't take a close up picture till spring.

Mike in Colorado

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_220dfc0bd5.jpg

• Like 1

A few photos of what I have.It appears that the tubing goes from engine compartment to under the dash. From there it's tubing up to hole going to wiper mount on outside of windshield.

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

While searching thru some videos on wiper replacement I found the wiper motor that came with my car is from a Ford Model A.

Gary,

The wiper motor on my DeSoto is similar to this one on eBay. There is a small knob that you pull out to turn on the motor.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

The wiper motor on my car mounts on the outside.The motor I have is from a Model t I think.It has the switch shown,I turned it on and piped the vacuum to it straight from the engine compartment,it works great.Now I have to find a valve for dash mount to turn it off.

These valves are available from your local parts store that sells "weatherhead" fittings.  My '26 Pontiac had a valve simila to these but with a knurled knob that protruded through the bottom flange of the dashboard.  I was nice because you could open it partially or all the way to control the speed.

1VPU9_AS01.jpg

1VRB1_AS01.jpg

• Like 1

Yup, mine looks a lot like the top one, except the control is an elongated diamond shape.

Otherwise quite similar.

If it is going to "show", I kind of like the bottom one, which seems to be more "period correct".

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

This thread reminds me, come spring I need to take my 2 wiper motors down and give them a good overhaul.

Since they are mounted inside at the top of the window and quite visible, I really should polish them too.

Could pull them now and polish 'em up while we wait for the blizzard to pass.

Mike in snowy Colorado

• Like 1