Hummer coming back as Electric is the Edsel far behind ?

Mark Gregory

I see Mustang is coming out electric lots of European cars are changing over.

Now the Hummer I am guessing all those diehard no electric cars for me will eventually swing over.

General Motors is readying the announcement of an all-electric pickup truck that will carry the branding of the company’s infamous gas-guzzling Hummer, according to The Wall Street Journal. The new vehicle will reportedly be teased during a Super Bowl commercial starring LeBron James. 

GM will sell the Hummer truck starting in 2022 under its GMC brand, and it isn’t expected to revive Hummer as a complete brand of its own, as it once was, according to the report. GM killed the Hummer brand in 2010 following the financial crisis, the automaker’s government bailout, and rising fuel costs. Representatives for GM and GMC declined to comment. 

Rumors have swirled for months that GM was planning to revive the Hummer nameplate, likely for an electric vehicle. The company is in the midst of a multibillion-dollar push to release 20 new electric vehicles (across all of its global markets) by 2023, and it’s shown that it’s willing to take big chances in order to meet that goal. GM wanted to make an electric pickup truck with Rivian, but it was reportedly rebuffed after asking for exclusive rights to the Michigan-based EV startup’s tech. (Rivian has since struck a nonexclusive deal with Ford.) GM has also sold its shuttered factory in Lordstown, Ohio, to an electric truck startup called Lordstown Motors and is planning to build a $2.3 billion factory in the town in conjunction with LG’s battery division.

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

The "infamous gas-guzzling" Hummer?

There's media bias showing against big utility vehicles,

even though they seat 6 or 9 and can tow big trailers.

They never disparage the "infamous gas-guzzling" Mercedes V12's;

or the "infamous gas-guzzling" 2-seat Lamborghinis;

or the "infamous gas-guzzling" Bugattis!

• Thanks 1

Best of luck to owners of prior model Hummers.

Once the EV Hummer comes out, prior Hummer model owners will find their on-line search for parts will become a total nightmare.

Having gone though this with another manufacturer that re-used an old model name I can tell you it is a HUGE pain in the butt.

51 minutes ago, charlier said:

Having gone though this with another manufacturer that re-used an old model name I can tell you it is a HUGE pain in the butt.

I search out 392 Hemi parts.

Most of the eBay ads are now late model stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

I search out 392 Hemi parts.

Most of the eBay ads are now late model stuff.

^^^^^^^^^ This sort of thing is what I was referring to although with a different model and manufacturer on EBay and other sites that sell auto parts.

There are probably dozens of old models of vehicles that have faced this same situation as auto makers have re-cycled model names.

Too bad so many sellers of parts do not include model years to help simplify the search.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 11:03 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Anyone want to guess how many tens of millions the nations municipalities will be forced to spend to totally modify the recharging spots to accept these lumps?

Not to mention, hotels and motels. 

Even in the northern parts of the country where 120V outlets are already in place for block heaters in parking lots will have to be upgraded, or added.

Craig

Why this negativity too electricity? Its been around for over 100 years!😁 I have not been in a city in my life that did not have electricity. Sure some rural places back when I was a youngster....

I'm sure the nay sayers were around 100 years ago saying there was no infrastucture to fill gasoline in all those new fangled vehicles scaring the horses....😧

If it makes economic sense, it will happen, just wait.👍

Electric cars were around before internal combustion cars. But I can never see them over coming the problem of miles to time spent in charging. You can take off in a car with gasoline and go indefinite miles with a 5 minute fill up here and there. With an electric car you have to wait and wait and wait. Fine in the city where your work is 3 miles away. Hydrogen can be 100% green. And with larger engines that are very energy efficient, they will preform as well as gasoline. No down side of what to do with the batteries afterward, and electricity made from coal etc. Hydrogen can be made from water and solar or wind power. I see a time when you make it at home. At many truck stops now, natural gas is already in the infrastructure. It is not that easy to convert a car to hydrogen as natural gas, hydrogen just does not have the same bang for the buck as gasoline or natural gas (propane). When hydrogen burns what come out the back is water H2O. No smog, no batteries, no need for coal. Sure if you want to wait and wait and wait for your Tesla, or new Corvette to charge up, it can be as fun a ride, as long as it is pretty near or you go from hotel to hotel to get where you are going. I personally prefer the concept of hydrogen and a 5 minute fill up over electric. 

1 hour ago, Michael-Restomod said:

natural gas (propane)

Propane, aka LPG, or Liquefied Petroleum Gas is not Natural Gas! Similar, but different. 😲

Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is not LPG, and cannot be run in the same conversion systems and vice versa.