bluenose25

1959 Vauxhall with unusual features

I have two old pictures in the family, taken at an uncle's house, of what I believe to be a 1959 Vauxhall.

I was hoping to find a picture of a restored one, or one in a catalogue, with the same body lines, features and colouring but I just can't quite seem to match these pictures with anything entirely.

I can see that there is a gently curving body line from the headlight to the rear end. It does look like a chrome piece ends the black-looking upper part ha;f way across the rear door. There is an unusual indent below the driver door. The front chrome is like two parts - a horizontal section where the turn indicators are and a rectangular, possibly oval, grille. There is chrome across the lower part of the rear quarter panel.The roof seems to stick out a bit over the rear window.

The image is scanned from a slide and colour correcting has not removed enough of the red tint to be able to tell what the original colour combination was.  

20190524_131331.thumb.jpg.5ef4fce83a63684d9f879dcb1a9a07cf.jpg

image.thumb.png.6c610c85f8dff432b6aca355bd0506c3.png

image.png.b96172b71b061331743ee4f14114d1c7.png

I have done google image searches for 1958, 1959, and 1960. I have seen pictures of similar cars but I actually did not find even one with this same side body line.

The car was bought in Canada.

I do know the dog's name - Jojo.

Would anyone be able to tell me a little bit more about this car?

Being a Canadian car I've looked for an Envoy to see if it matched since GM sold them under that name in Canada, however, so far no luck with a match

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)

The original owners were family friends. Their daughter is the one who called it a '59 Vauxhall, as soon as she saw the picture. She said: "We did not have that car for long as
my dad was involved in an accident that pretty much totalled it."  I don't think a repair would change the body side, would it? I'll take a look for Envoys.

A strange Vauxhall because it is a Austin Cambridge or something closely related from the BMC "Farina " line up.  { Morris Oxford, and sundry Riley and Wolseley badge engineered machines }.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

A strange Vauxhall because it is a Austin Cambridge or something closely related from the BMC "Farina " line up.  { Morris Oxford, and sundry Riley and Wolseley badge engineered machines }.

Greg in Canada

Greg is absolutely correct.  Here's a 59 Austin Cambridge

image.jpeg.9e815019784fea28636831ee43d716bd.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, playswithbrass said:

I believe that is a  Vauxhall  Victor my parents had one

Nope

GM Vauxhall Victor / Envoy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Victor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envoy_(automobile)

Post 1 if a BMC Farina, which as above, was badge engineered as several brands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Motor_Corporation#BMC_Farina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Oxford_Farina

Austin's have different more crinkly grille

And better cars than Vauxhall's

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Here's a FLEET of Austin Cambridges!

Craig

VON_DoI.jpg

All the Austin's were quite popular in Canada. And Nash Metropolitan's, same powertrain as a Cambridge.  Even the more expensive Westminster with the 6 cyl drivetrain also used in the Austin Healey 3000's ..  One I seldom see is the big Austin Princess. A fish out of water in the North American market.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I know the family was quite proud of the car. They took at least two photos that day - one with the family in front of the car and one with the car by itself. (Jojo got to be in both pics.)

Jojo was a dog who thought he was a loner
but he knew it wouldn't last,
Jojo left his home with Austin Cambridge owner
'til they parked on backyard grass,

(you know the rest of the words...)

7 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

All the Austin's were quite popular in Canada. And Nash Metropolitan's, same powertrain as a Cambridge.  Even the more expensive Westminster with the 6 cyl drivetrain also used in the Austin Healey 3000's ..  One I seldom see is the big Austin Princess. A fish out of water in the North American market.

Greg in Canada

The Austin Princess was a large car that dated from the late 1940's.  The Farina bodied version was the Vanden Plas Princess 4-Liter R which used a Rolls Royce Scout engine.

59_AVdP.jpg

67_VdP.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Both are definite rarity's in North America. I have seen a few of the early ones like the black one above . But I can't recall ever seeing one of the later Farina version here in Canada. Were the later ones ever officially imported ? Or the North American ones something that someone privately imported ?

Greg in Canada

11 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

But I can't recall ever seeing one of the later Farina version here in Canada. Were the later ones ever officially imported ? Or the North American ones something that someone privately imported ?

Greg in Canada

Yes.

Craig

65vbpbldsht.jpg

I don't know if the Princess 4 liter R was officially imported to Canada but there were a few around. I see one advertised from time to time for a too high price, stressing its Rolls Royce heritage. Maybe it sold, I haven't seen the ad for a while. Have also seen a few of the older limousine type. Often advertised for weddings.

Austin Cambridge's were very popular on the East coast of Canada in the 50's and 60's. Along with Morris, Ford Anglia, Zodiac's, etc. They were cheap and rusty by the time I was driving and a few of my friends had them handed down from their parents. A lot of them came over after the war. 

I believe that the car was bought new at a dealership in, or near, Port Hope, Ontario. Are there lists of car dealerships from times past available online somewhere? Would this have been a domestic dealership selling a line of imports or would this be an imported car dealership?

I did find Toronto dealership pictures here.  https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/01/what-car-dealerships-used-look-toronto/

If no Austin dealers in the port Hope area, maybe is was bought in Toronto. Austin Motors, corner of Yonge and Davenport, 1950's.

image.png.3bb6ddbc186b202017703432b4667dd7.png