Facebook friends

Buffalowed Bill

As a Studebaker owner I've been a participant in a long standing Studebaker Drivers Club forum. I was somewhat late to that party, maybe eight or nine years ago. At the heights of it's popularity that forum probably had 1500-2000 viewers, with about 800 or so actively participating. My numbers are just a guess to set the table for my question. Over the last year or two a Facebook forum has all but supplanted the SDC forum. There is still some activity there, but nothing like what it once was. Facebook participants were patting themselves on the back for now having 22000 "Studebaker Addicts" on the forum.  

I have gone from a gentle push back against the process, but I now believe the process was inevitable. I admit the Facebook forum is a little chaotic for my tastes, but it seems to be fine for for the multitude, and it seems to have gotten people involved. So I guess it's a good thing. My question is have any of the other single marque clubs, or even the unaffiliated clubs experienced any of the same metamorphosis? Any unanticipated consequences? 

Bill

14 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I wouldn't call the Facebook Group a forum. It is just one long stream of miscellaneous posts. I don't think the Alfa Romeo forum has lost members to Facebook.

Hmmm... AlfaBB doesn't seem terribly active these days if you ask me. And AlfaBB pretty much brought an end to the Alfa DIgest, didn't it?

1 minute ago, 1937hd45 said:

Facebook, a problem I've managed to avoid. 

Yes Bob, I too have avoided it, although people tell me what great stuff I'm missing.  I hear Facebook Marketplace is fast replacing the old Craigslist for good stuff.  I know quite a few people who have abandoned FB because of having to wade through too much junk and political crap to see what their real friends are up to.  This will be my 10th anniversary of continuing to think about joining it.  Still haven't decided.

Terry

Just now, Terry Bond said:

This will be my 10th anniversary of continuing to think about joining it.  Still haven't decided.

Terry

Same deal with the cellphone. Left the post office this morning when  an ugly woman walked in screaming into her cell phone. Rude moron, no need to join that clan either. Bob 

Terry, you are missing a great AACA Facebook page!!  Almost no crap and lots of great stuff posted every day.  18,930 members.  You can be involved as you want or not involved at all.  However, just to go and look at the stuff is pretty cool.  When super guys like Lloyd Riggs are on it you know it has to be good.  Our group page is AACA Antique Automobile Club of America.   Can't believe you are holding back. 

• Like 1

I like the format of this forum, no annoying pop up ads, no unsolicited emails about something for sale that you looked at, just basic conversation about the topic of the moment.  AACA deserves a big THANK YOU for managing to keep it that way.

• Like 3

I am on this forum as well as numerous antique car hobby facebook pages. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I am probably one of the guys who can be described as having a love/hate relationship with facebook. Some things about facebook really irritate me, but it is also the best way for me to keep up with a lot of friends, family, and fellow hobbyists who do not live near me. 

• Like 1

I don't belong to Facebook, and do not plan to.

On the occasions when I click a link to see something

there, there is a pop-up that obscures part of the 

screen, urging me to join.  I can never, or almost never,

see the entire page that someone sent me to.

When one joins Facebook, does he have to give

personal data?  Which data, such as birth date?

Doesn't Facebook track your movements and form

"profiles" of you?  Do they sell or share this information 

with others, such as advertisers?

Forbes magazine had an article years ago, titled

"I Know What You Did Last Night."  I was chilling.

Obtaining both a person's Social Security number and

Date of Birth allows the unscrupulous to gain access

to EVERYTHING a person does, including his bank accounts.

When asked for personal data and a group doesn't

really need it, Forbes advised, "Share the spurious with

the curious."  Don't give them legitimate personal data!

Facebook is whatever you make it to be.  My Facebook is 99% hobbies and interests.  Article and page one after another of old cars, travel, abandoned railroads, etc., stuff I love.  For others it is 99% social interaction with others.  If you don’t trust Facebook with your info, you don’t even need to put any on there.  You don’t even need to have a single “friend” on there to follow what you like.  Any and all ads that pop up can be deleted for the future, just select “block ads from this company.”

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

I love those, and the Commander in particular (no vinyl top!). I once had one, but due to the curves life throws you, I collected parts but was never able to restore it. It was a 66 Commander 2-door, 230-Automatic. I hope to find another Commander someday, but with factory 283 and Overdrive. The odds are against it, but there could be one left.

• Like 1

I'm a member of that Studebaker club on Facebook. I'm happy with it. I'm not hardcore into Studebaker enough to join a specific message board for it, even though I would rank it no lower than third on my list of favorite car companies.  I have a hard enough time getting on the forums for things that are part of every day of my life, let alone admiring from afar. 

On Facebook I can join many groups and see a wide variety of cars "driving" across my screen. 

Also, there are no pop up ads. Zero. There are ads on Facebook, but not popups...it's off to the side, just like the Egge ad I see on this very page. 

If you exist, your info is already on the internet. Thinking that by staying off Facebook means your info is safe is actually funny. 

That's not to say it's all great. There is a lot of whining, and a lot of people who think their political opinion matters to the world. Luckily, removing someone or something off your feed takes literally two clicks.

Yet another "is facebook good or bad" thread.

The fact hasn't changed. I, and a few million other people in this country, do not have reasonable access to real "high speed" internet connections. I still cannot see hardly anything linked onto facebook. When was the last time I tried it? Right after the last past similar thread on this forum a couple weeks ago. Tried a few links. Saw none.

Situation same as before. I still say a facebook presence may be an important part of hobby connections to reach out to the rest of the world. It is a good way to reach millions of people that may have an interest in the hobby, but do not know how to go about making connections in what used to be normal ways. However, facebook should NOT be the "be all" and "end all" way to maintain communication with the rest of the hobby. There are way too many people with genuine interest, and a lot of knowledge to share, that either cannot or will NOT use facebook.

Pretty active Model T Facebook group. I belong to it and to the other forums. I still prefer the old forum platforms, look at topics quickly and move on.  
I think it is easier to search for old post topics, so the same questions don’t get asked over and over.

Ill join the AACA page to check it out.

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

I love those, and the Commander in particular (no vinyl top!). I once had one, but due to the curves life throws you, I collected parts but was never able to restore it. It was a 66 Commander 2-door, 230-Automatic. I hope to find another Commander someday, but with factory 283 and Overdrive. The odds are against it, but there could be one left.

You can have this one for $3900. 194 c.i. 3 speed bolt action with O/D

66stude 005.jpg

• Like 2

Opinions that are formed out of firsthand experience have merit.

I tell stories from the road.

I can upload long videos to Facebook at no cost and pay no storage fees to host them on my website.

A few days ago I visited “ Battery Bob “ at The Lemay Family Collection at Marymount and posted several videos of my experience.

ADEDFE31-DCCA-4226-BD1B-7E9B6E35C9B6.thumb.jpeg.c32362edc1d726f5caecf928c89420f2.jpeg

Jim

I would hate to join Facebook and find out I have no friends🙁.  My wife is always on Facebook and I’m always on AACA so I guess we are even.  She has found some car related stuff on Facebook for me so I can’t complain too much.

4 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Opinions that are formed out of firsthand experience have merit.

I tell stories from the road.

I can upload long videos to Facebook at no cost and pay no storage fees to host them on my website.

A few days ago I visited “ Battery Bob “ at The Lemay Family Collection at Marymount and posted several videos of my experience.

ADEDFE31-DCCA-4226-BD1B-7E9B6E35C9B6.thumb.jpeg.c32362edc1d726f5caecf928c89420f2.jpeg

Jim

That place is a hoot.

• Like 1

I am a regular on this forum plus 3 others and I also use Facebook extensively. Over the last three years I have removed almost all the political, news and entertainment pages and now subscribe to many car related Facebook groups including AACA and OCA. I have found that the Facebook format is primarily for photo sharing and Twitter style comments but not for much formal discourse. I take lots of photos and like to share them so that works for me. The only exception to this is the 61-66 Oldsmobile Starfire group, they actually encourage and reward technical discussions. The more successful groups have clear rules for posters and police the posts with multiple admins. I still prefer the forum format for viewing or sharing a long term project or getting detailed technical information

• Like 2

I was told I was missing things on Facebook,  I signed up and had 300 middle age women try to friend me..  I decided to forgo the experience and quit looking at it.

I could have 1,000's fo friends there and non of them would take me to the airport.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, zipdang said:

I personally do not want to spend so much time being sure to see the "greatest" online sites to keep up to date. This site satisfies me just fine and I'm not getting sucked into spending even more time staring at this screen.

My sentiments EXACTLY !   But ahhhh, then again :

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I signed up and had 300 middle age women try to friend me..  

Uh, well hmmmmmmm....................   middle age a bit young for me, wonder what the chances are for the more mature elderly ladies ?   -    Carl 

• Haha 1