Ed Luddy

1919 MacLaughlin Buick $2500 CDN

Probably the first person saw the ad bought it. Just like the Mannix '37 Cadillac V-16 for 50 grand in OCW about 30 years ago. Guy who had it for sale, Texas insurance man, when I immediately called, drawled "first guy to come see the car bought it". That fellow traded it to Barrett for a hyper low mileage Eldo, ('70 ? was it). I got down to Scottsdale and saw the 16. TWB IV said it could be mine for $225,000. Last I saw it was at Volo. Indiana ownership, I think. But that must have been 20 years or so ago. You just have to move at the speed of light for desirable cars at give away prices.     -     Carl 

I’m the buyer. I saw the car 14 minute after the ads was post on Kijiji without phone number. With the name on the ad I find the women on Facebook and ask her to call me. Spare engine and transmission are include in the price. I’m at 8hours from the car so I drive all nigh long to be there at 7h30 this morning. Like Carl said: you need to move at speed of light for good deal

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

congratulations! the early bird got the worm.

that price was insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

That has to be the best deal on any early and interesting car I’ve seen ever! Congratulations to you and I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

We forum members rarely meet the purchaser, please let me ask you how you envision the cars future with you.  I know you just got it but do you plan to give the car a full restoration for Pebble Beach, get it going and use the Buick as found, park the car in your garage, tinker and admire it, or something else?

I think you are in Quebec, what is the state of the early car hobby there?  I love traveling in Quebec, we did a 2 week tour of the Gaspe peninsula recently, beautiful.

Congratulations, and BTW is it a 5 or 7 passenger McLaughlin.  Gary

• Like 2

Does anyone have other pictures from the ad ?    -   CC 

Hi everybody, I’m actually on my way back to home with the car and the spare engine/transmission in my trailer. It’s a 7 passenger and he’s so original. Nothing missing except 1 gauge. 

me and my wife don’t want to restore the car. We will clean it, make the mechanics work to tour with the car, new top, new tire and he will be ready for he’s new life. He’s sitting in a garage since the 60’s and never been started since the last owner bought the car. He have in project to restore the car but sadly he past away.

me and my wife Alexandra are both 29 years old and are  brass area enthousiast but we own 3 Buick McLaughlin because the company are Canadian and have a wonderful history. We live in batiscan, quebec (French parts of Quebec, sorry if my writing are not perfect I do my best)

Our plan with antique is to have a collection of all running, original and unrestored or good old restoration car because they are in majority incontestably real when they are like that, not assembled from scratch. 

I’ll post more picture of all around the car And interior Monday morning.

if somebody know good knowleadgeable guys about McLaughlin I’m interested to have is information.

many thanks anthony 

32460A04-3EA9-4301-A4CE-6A8F67F06FBA.jpeg

50FCE7E9-C3B9-4AFE-82EF-D29AB5F1FC8E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Anthony;  Thanks for answering my question concerning the fate of this wonderful antique car.  Please continue to post and ask questions, many interested people here to offer help, your English is tres bien, better than my high school French.

I would suggest you look further down the main page and look in the Pre War Buick forum, they are very active participants and love a good story with pictures.  Many friends there.

For Mercer;  Buicks in 1919 used a 252 cu in 6 cyl engine.

Regards, Gary

• Like 4

Hello Anthony

Congrats on your latest purchase ! It would appear to be an H-6-49, the largest McLaughlin-Buick built in 1919. It will have a 124 inch wheelbase,a 60 HP engine,and should be equipped with a built-in tire pump.

Beautiful !

The attached ad appeared in The Farmer's Advocate Christmas edition in 1919. It may be a 1920 model.

Jim

McLaughlin-Buick ad Christmas 1919 1.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Welcome to the AACA and this a great addition to your collection. This Club is looking for younger Members and you will fit it perfectly. 

I bought my first Reo car when I was 26 years old and have cared for it since.

The one gauge you are missing post it under Parts Wanted and maybe someone will come across it.

Mark  in Toronto

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement and the help everybody.

Here’s the plate on the floor with model

tommorrow I’ll make a post with picture, and documentation. We will work to try start the car tomorrow morning see if something wrong

E1BC3CDD-F56A-46A2-890D-4F0FC8036738.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anthony theriault said:

Thanks for the encouragement and the help everybody.

Here’s the plate on the floor with model

tommorrow I’ll make a post with picture, and documentation. We will work to try start the car tomorrow morning see if something wrong

E1BC3CDD-F56A-46A2-890D-4F0FC8036738.jpeg

Model K49 is a 1920.

Jim

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

Model K49 is a 1920.

Jim

Thanks Jim he have 100 year yeah! 

60hp will be a good touring car ?

and what you mean by built in tire pump ? Have an integrate compressor ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anthony theriault said:

We will work to try start the car tomorrow morning see if something wrong

This is really going to be something - really look forward to your posts.

You mentioned other McLauglin’s and chances are you’re already familiar, but if you haven’t seen it - Hugh Leidlein wrote up a great guide for waking up one of these sleeping beasts which can be found here⬇️
https://forums.aaca.org/topic/337820-receiving-1926-buick-master-six-soon/

I’d add 1 other thing:

When the oil pan is off - check the wrist-pins real close. At some point in the early 20’s (don’t know exact year) they changed the design, but earlier Buick’s+ McLauglin’s had cotter-pins securing them.

I didn’t know this and missed it on my 1918. Started my *restored* car and six months later found what is in the top picture below in the oil pan.

The cost of missing this was $10,000 US.

So please look up in there and check each wrist pin for the presence of the silly thing. 

(2nd picture below is con-rod and wrist-pin with cotter-pin in place)

(3d picture below is one with the cotter-pin missing. Also visible is the resulting deep gouging from the pin touching the cyl. walls. Contrary to what I expected, and what others had told me, THERE WAS NO NOISE when this happened. Also, the con-rods did NOT appear to move or ‘wiggle’ when I checked them by hand. No perceivable movement.)

(Last picture below is a wrist-pin that has been retrofitted to replace the cotter-pin design - it’s out of another 1918 identical to mine.)

The retrofit is quite common in surviving cars because the wrist-pins are the weakest point on these cars and they ALL ended up with damaged cyl. walls.

Somewhere I have a newspaper ad from 1919 for a 1918 Buick with newly re-sleeved cylinders. When I found it I thought, “Gosh, I wonder WHY?!”

Or I could be wrong and your car came out of the factory with the better design. Be sure to confirm! The bottom line is: When they designed and built these cars they never imagined they’d ever see as many as 20,000 miles — let alone still be in use 100+ years later. They simply weren’t built for it. Some parts, like cotter-pins were expendable.

Good luck and have fun,

Ben

86D01C9F-75F9-4196-9B83-B79A69F0B716.jpeg

58F9047B-2710-4ECA-A2E9-DEFEC1B1F7AF.jpeg

6108B9C0-1C0A-412D-8C83-4319E8A20CBA.jpeg

0AC3DA04-B025-4836-9D0D-FA9C277451AC.jpeg

Edited by Ben P.
Typo (see edit history)

Anthony

Congratulations to you and your wife, this is really exciting for all of us here to read - there is hope not only to still find cars like yours but also to read that you are a younger guy interested in pre war cars!

Before you try to start it read all the advice here and the page referenced to bring the car back to life mechanically. I repeat BEFORE STARTING.

Better to disassemble ( drop the oil pan as noted) and clean and poil just about everything, repack the wheel bearings, change the grease or ? in the steering box, get the radiator bpoiled out clean. Better to take your time now over the winter to make it ready for enjoyment in the Springtime then break something because of lack of lubrication. 

Sorry , do not meat to lecture, just kind of suggest a state of mind beyond the excitement.

Walt G.

• Like 3

Do not even try to turn the engine AT ALL yet. DON'T DO IT ! We can help you step by necessary step. The car as been sitting for 50-60 years, and the engine and valves (other components too), could be stuck. You have got an EXTREMELY good deal. Break the engine, that deal will not be so good. And it will not be the fault of the seller. Again : Do not even THINK about turning that engine at this point.

-     Carl 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anthony theriault said:

Thanks Jim he have 100 year yeah! 

60hp will be a good touring car ?

and what you mean by built in tire pump ? Have an integrate compressor ?

It should make an excellent tour car. 

These cars apparently had an on board air compressor. It's mentioned in the book "Cars of Canada".A friend of mine restored a '23 and it had one.

Definitely listen to the advise of the fellows on this forum about starting it up and things to look for ! My '29 McLaughlin Buick's wrist pins are bolted in,a step above the cotter keys,but I had one of those snap due to being over-torqued .Fortunately,it didn't seriously score the cylinder wall.

Take your time and you'll have a great ride in the spring.

Jim

• Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase !  That's a remarkable find. I paid about the same for my 1918 McLaughlin 6 - 45 about 20 years ago and in way worse condition. That has to be one of the best deals on a nickel era touring I have ever seen. The compressor ; if it is still there, is mounted to the right hand side of the engine and driven off a gear on the water pump drive shaft.  They are often missing but usually the drive gear is still in place to indicate the car originally had one.

Greg in Canada { a long ways away on the West Coast }

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2