Sign in to follow this  
CraigD

The Name "Doctor's Coupe"

My dad had a 1925 Model 11A... a Doctor's Coupe.  Did Franklin officially use the term Doctor's Coupe in company literature?  Or was that a broader term used by consumers to describe many cars of that particular body type?

Craig

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Posted (edited)

The term "Doctor's Coupe" does not appear in any of the body types listed in the first few pages of the owner's manuals.  So I'd say no it was not an official Franklin term. 

However, Franklins in general were sometimes referred to as Doctor's cars because they were always ready to go - back in the days before permanent anti-freeze, when water cooled cars were often drained when not in use in cold weather to prevent water freezing damage. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

The term doctors coupe, in modern use, is said to originate with the Model T. Back in the brass era, doctors made house calls, and the model T coupe was likely the cheapest, most practical way to visit patients in rural areas. Just enough space for a doctor and his bag.  I think Ford may have used this concept in its advertising, the way Saxon did for selling it’s economical roadster to small businesses.

I believe that the term doctors coupe, like the term business coupe, were marketing devices and commonly used. There are uses of the term doctors coupe that long precede Ford, however...it was a term used in carriage trade.

• Like 1