Maxwell AB or AC ignition switch

Frank Cerutti

I am investigating the operation of the ignition switch fitted to the Maxwell late model AB or the AC. This switch has 3 positions, MAG, OFF and BAT and 4 wires, at terminals AM, 2, B-C and B. I have attached a photo of a switch with the cover removed. This switch has been modified.
In operation, when BAT is selected the main contact arm goes between terminals 2 and B. When MAG is selected the main contact arm goes between terminals AM and B-C and a temporary connection to 2.
Does anyone have a photo of an AB or AC switch which shows this temporary connection.
Any response is appreciated.

Frank Cerutti
1909 LD9024
Townsville, Australia

Ignition switch front.JPG

Hi Layden. Thanks for your reply.

The car in question is a Maxwell model AC Messenger, 1912, with the Flanders body. It is fitted with a Splitdorf model H low tension magneto and a Splitdorf coil/switch box. This Splitdorf coil/switch box has a 3 position switch and 4 wires connected to the switch. This ignition system is identical to that fitted to later series Maxwell model AB.

The earlier model AB too is fitted with the Splitdorf model H low tension magneto but the Splitdorf coil/switch box has 3 position switch and 6 wires connected to the switch.

I have documentation on these 3 examples.

Frank Cerutti

Maxwell LD9024, 1909

Townsville, Australia

• 2 years later...

Frank, I realize this thread is old, did you ever get your answer?  That switch looks very much like the switch on the coil box of my 1912 Flanders, here are some pics.

box_wiring_labeled.jpg.a3e3125988d778d32368030876c33404.jpg

splitdorf_key.jpg

switch_001.JPG

switch_002.JPG

switch_003.JPG

switch_004.JPG