Survey about Classic Cars

simon9710

*Admin please delete if this is not allowed*

Hi everyone,
We are three young men from Aalborg University, Denmark, who are making a research project about classic/vintage cars. One of our main themes in this project, is the concern about if the passion for older classic cars will fade away with the next generations, as they maybe wont experience these cars as a part of their youth.

The survey is anonymous and will take approximately 2 minutes to answer. It would really be a big help for us!

Link: https://forms.gle/FJ4GXoExnqLF7jFT7

I noticed that there was a presumption that nothing earlier than 1930 counted. I answered the questions but I have a feeling it is skewed to later cars. Perhaps that is the way things are going but I have my doubts...we aren't seeing brass and '20s cars being hauled to the scrap yard. My impression is that if anything has "long term" staying power it is the earlier cars - those that are no longer effected by what people remember from their youth. That demographic appears quite volatile but when it is eliminated we can see a base line of interest that does not appear to be going away. Having said that, I am discounting the notion that prices will continue to rise. It may well be that they fall, but that isn't a measure of serious interest. If anything, lower prices may attract new blood - people who share the interest but have, to date, be shut out by the prices.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I completed the survey. I didn’t see much that would expose any privacy. 

Car prices stabilizing and in many cases falling? Seems to be so in many examples. What I’m seeing is great deals on earlier restored cars, compared to restoring one yourself.  When someone sells a restored car, most often they are not trying to make a living at it. When a local car guy sells his restored car privately, often good deals are out there. 

NOS or reproduction parts for old cars to fix up and restore yourself? Prices just keep jacking up year after year. These parts sellers are most often making a living at it. So as their cost of living goes up, parts prices too goes up. It always has been this way, always will. It seems so easy to spend $25K restoring an old car. Then have to sell it in 10 years for $10K. I see deals just like this every day.  Maybe it’s the guy too old to get under his baby any more. The cool old guy neighbor, selling his home to down size. The guy that is splitting up with his wife. These poor guys selling their cars are not trying to make a living at it. Maybe they restored and got to enjoy their cars and drive them for years. It makes sense to buy one of these run-of-the-mill mass-produced, restored vintage cars. 

Restoring an old mass produced car from scratch? Ya gotta love the hobby! You may very likely be a gear head.  Someone who truly loves grease under their fingernails and in their hair.  That’s me. I pour hours and hours into my 1938 4dr sedan. Hardly desirable. Yet I’m happy as a peach. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

regarding the survey- it is a weak series of questions and surprised that the OP didnt ask a bit more, however, maybe the only real item they wtd to find out is perhaps, our age? so in that case it qualifies............

Thank you for the info on the survey, My question was  more on the security of the link itself. As I said, I'm no computer expert and I've always been advised to not click on (open?) an unsolicited link. I wanted to take the survey but was hesitant to click on the link for fear of a virus. Hence the security question that invoked unwarranted hostility.

Thanks for the info but the question remains vis-a-vis it's safety to open.......... Anybody?..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

well Bob, we've all opened it.

I have no virus. nada.

I would be far more concerned with opening your email acct then a survey that has been listed here.

after all, you buy gas with your credit card and an attendant has instant access to your ccd.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Well the survey is not really designed to answer this question; just solicit some opinions on it.

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Seems most like a survey to see what cars people are interested in in relation to parts suppliers that supply for them. 

ALL surveys and POLLS are skewed towards the answer that the specific polster wants.  I know someone who was employed by the Federal Government specifically to write surveys.  He was always told what point they wanted to prove and always wrote questions skewed that way.

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

My question was  more on the security of the link itself. As I said, I'm no computer expert and I've always been advised to not click on (open?) an unsolicited link. 

I'm with you, Bhigdog. My first implulse was to take the survey, but then I immediately thought of the danger of unknown links. I figured I would wait a few days and then, if nobody has reported a problem I might take the survey. Even being careful I have picked up viruses in the past and they don't always show up immediately. The only indication is your computer slowing down little by little over time until it locks up completely

Don

You meant like Milt was told to make sure the QJ was faster than the tripower ? (were already strangled by the air cleaners so not hard).

BTW if the button is just a button (and can look at the source code with F12 in IE) no URL will show in the status line.

I set my machine to "paranoid" to avoid difficulties, nothing unknown executes without permission.

2 hours ago, padgett said:

You meant like Milt was told to make sure the QJ was faster than the tripower ? (were already strangled by the air cleaners so not hard).

You meant like O.M. Taylor was told to make sure Tri-Power was faster than QJ!😉

7 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Thank you for the info on the survey, My question was  more on the security of the link itself. As I said, I'm no computer expert and I've always been advised to not click on (open?) an unsolicited link. I wanted to take the survey but was hesitant to click on the link for fear of a virus. Hence the security question that invoked unwarranted hostility.

Thanks for the info but the question remains vis-a-vis it's safety to open.......... Anybody?..............Bob

The question was whether a malware/virus could be imbedded in a link posted in the forum. The question has been asked in the forum support section. It has been answered by forum computer guru Peter G.  Thank you, Peter.

Yes, indeed. It can be.

Case closed. You'all be careful now.......Hear.....bob

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

See above V.L..............Bob

I just searched “survey” and found at least two others within the past couple years also. Better to be safe than sorry 

Also you can’t always tell when you’ve been compromised my friends. I’ve had Realtors whose emails have been watched for months and the intruder waits until a closing is coming and redirect the email and tells the borrower to wire the purchase money to the wrong place. It’s a common real estate scheme that’s been around for years. No one ever knows they have been hacked. 

Don't click links from people who have no history here to be safe. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, Bhigdog said:

Wondering how we are sure the link is not a trojan horse virus. I hesitate to open it........bob

I completed the survey the day it was posted.

I used an isolated virtual machine I use when I want to open something I am not sure about.

Zero issues with the link and no strange traffic going somewhere I wouldn't want it to.

Took it yesterday, so far, so good. But I won't do any online banking. I don't understand any of this newfangled stuff. Just real glad I can handle email, Google, and this great forum. Oh yeah : and I do have a special fondness for Denmark. Spent a lot of time there in the late '60s. Best place in the world for a guy in his mid 20s back then. Particularly if you like the ladies.............. Sigh..........   -   CC 

11 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Don't click links from people who have no history here to be safe. 

GOOD advice ^^^^^^^

Also, be sure to use a good quality Virus/Malware protection package (Norton, McAfee, etc) and make SURE that package is CONSTANTLY BEING UPDATED and the computer is periodically being scanned.

FYI, You get what you pay for so if the Virus/Malware package you are using was Free, chances are, in many cases it may not be the best/safest solution.

A good, periodic backup of a computer is also a very good idea. I try to do a backup of my primary computer at least once a week. For many here that is a lot to ask. In my case my computer is used for my work as an IT Consultant so protecting it with good virus software and a good backup are very important. These backups have also more than paid for themselves over the years when an operating system update was defective or a computer hard drive or other computer hardware failed.

When it comes to computer virus protection and backups they are forms of insurance. Sooner or later you will need them. Not of a question of "IF" but of "WHEN".

Do you feel lucky?

• Like 2