1935 Dodge soundtrack found! Do you have the filmstrip?

marcapra

I just acquired a very rare record.  It is a 12" 33 1/3 rpm record called "Dodge Slide Film, Smart as Tomorrow" No. 16.  It has no date on the record, but I listened to it and it is about the new 1935 Dodge.  It is a sales record meant to play to customers, or maybe to train salesmen about the new features of the 1935  Dodge.  It is the story of the Osmond family who have been looking for a new car,  but can't find anything that satisfies both Mr. and Mrs. Osmond.  So a salesman goes through both the mechanical and interior features of the new '35 Dodge.  I've never found a filmstrip this early and I assume they are rare.  There is no mention of the Ross Roy company who did the filmstrips for Chrysler in the 40s.  So I guess this is pre- Ross Roy.  If anyone has the rare filmstrip to this, it would be a crime to not put these two together and publish the filmstrip on Youtube!  If you have seen some of the Chrysler filmstrips on MyMopar or the Imperial Club, you may have noticed how thin and scratchy the soundtrack is.  The reason is they used a modern stereo phonograph to play the record.  I played this record on my 1960s school phonograph called a Califone, which has four speeds and two styli, one for LP and one for 78s.  When I played it with the LP or 33 rpm stylus, the sound was terrible.  But when I played it with the 78 stylus, the sound was strong and clear.  This is 12" record and plays at 33 rpm, but should not be confused with an LP.  It is also a center start record, which means you start the stylus on the inside and it plays to the outside rim.  I'm guessing that no one will respond with a copy of this filmstrip, so I am thinking of making a video of the record with still pics of the 1935 Dodge and as many pics of the engine and chassis and interior as I can get.  So if you don't have the filmstrip, maybe you have a 1935 sales brochure that you could scan and send me some pics for this project.  I also have a similar record on the 1941 Plymouth.  But it is a 16" one sided record, so I can't play it.  Thanks for your help!  Marc.

that 1937 Pontiac filmstrip looks great!  It would be worth it to put on Youtube even if you had to put music or your own voice as the soundtrack.   Maybe contact the Pontiac car club, if one exists for help.  If you don't have time to make a video, maybe someone in the club does!  Hope you find the soundtrack for it.  but unfortunately all this stuff was thrown away decades ago, so it's as rare as flying pigs!  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If I had Dodge from 1935 I would be glad to help out.  I’ve had this Pontiac film so long I have no idea how I got it.  Your comment on the 33 rpm speed is interesting, I read where it took quite a while for music to go from 78 rpm to 33 so that they could get more music on the album.  That led to the 45 rpm record development.  Some early 45s had two songs per side!

The Dodge Brothers club has a video that was made in the early teens. It shows them making parts and assembling cars and even test driving them. Painting the new bodies with a garden hose is impressive. The AACA library has the ability to copy and put this on their utube channel for all to hear. That is where all of the DBC's videos are. Would you be interested in letting them do this? 

I would, but not if they going to play it on a modern stereo phonograph with a stereo cartridge and stylus because it will sound terrible!  If they don't have the proper equipment to play an old record, maybe I could make the recording on a CD and send it to them?  Who would I talk to?  Marc.

When we moved from Maine in 2017, I had a  boxed set of 12 records with the matching film strips for the 37 Ford sales school that I put into the Owls Head Museums automobillia auction. I don’t think it brought as much as I thought it should have but it was not the best place to sell something of that nature. Now if it were the mechanics training set it would have been a different story as I would have kept them....

The important thing is to get these documents and media online so that they can be shared and used by current and future collectors, rather than just sit on someone's shelf.  They can't really do any good there!

• Like 1