Buick and Reliance truck

LCK81403

I enjoy reading the old journals, on Google books as well as old original publications.  I came across a short article in The Automobile, dated July 21, 1910, page 117, column 2, under the subheading "Agency and Garage News".  Here is the text of the article:

"The Buick Motor Company this week moved into its new rooms at 509-513 Erie street, where it now has one of the best garages and repair departments in Toledo.  Three floors and basement are used by the concern, a huge elevator serving to hoist cars to any part of the building.  The first floor is devoted to the storing of cars, the second floor to the repair work.  A complete parts department will be maintained, where every piece entering a Buick or Reliance truck can be secured."

Several observations come to the fore.  One, did Buick produce a truck called the Reliance?  Two, did Buick produce the Reliance automobile and truck?  I have a file holding with both a Reliance automobile and a Reliance truck, but none of the addresses provided by the advertising shows any connection to Buick.  The 1905 Reliance automobile and 1908 truck show up manufactured in Detroit, while the 1905 Buick Model B was manufactured in Flint, Michigan.  Comparing photos of original 1905 advertising for the Reliance Detroit and the Buick Flint, they appear to be the same car or very similar.

I know that manufactures produced various name brand cars and even trucks at the same time, including mixtures of gasoline and electric vehicles.  Studebaker, Garford, E.M.F., Flanders, Thomas, Pope and others.  However, until now I have not found even this tenuous connection between Buick and another name brand vehicle.

Hopefully someone may clarify this new information, at least it being new to me.

05 Reliance ad 01.jpg

08 Reliance ad 01-02.JPG

08 Reliance ad 02-02.JPG

05 Buick Model B ad.jpg

• Thanks 1

I, too, like looking through these old magazines. I can say that Buick did not produce the Reliance.  However, Durant, through GM, purchased Reliance Motor Car Company, the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company, and the Randolph Motor Company.  All were purchased to produce commercial and light duty trucks. Although Randolph was soon sold off, Rapid and Reliance were sold under the GMC sales banner and soon just became GMC Truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to Wikipedia, the first "engine under seat" truck was built by Autocar in 1899.  Credit for the modern COE goes to the White Motor Co. in 1932.  COE's were popular in the day because the shorter cab length meant (by law) you could pull a longer trailer.