Sign in to follow this  
jord

Steering Column Removal

Trying to remove the steering column to install a new firewall insulator, hoping that with the column removed I will be able to slightly bend the insulator in place. The wiring has been disconnected so that I will be able to thread them through the new opening in insulator. The material is hard plastic with insulation behind it. Can't seem to get past the lock

Again Thanks

All is ok, I did not see the key-way at first, once removed it slid right out

Previous discussions on the subject sound like that is a tricky job.  Would love to see some pics of the key-way and insulator being installed.  Where did you purchase the firewall insulator and " groumet", that is part of the carpeting?  Or did you have to come up with a way to fabricate it yourself?  Thanks, Paul

There was someone selling the fire wall insulation  pads on eBay a while back, watch for them to reappear.  You might google it and find some.  Each car is different so choose carefully.  Grommets are around, I think Steel Rubber might have some, and the parts dealers on the web site probably have them too.  If you can get some good closeup photos of the firewall inside and outside of the vehicle that will help as there are different size grommets on the firewall.  

Used Quiet Ride Solution. Ordered online for the specific year Zephyr- 241.00 plus shipping. The keyway is right on top of the shaft, holds the steering wheel in position, I missed this step. Once removed I loosened the clamp at the steering box and with a slight turning motion as I pulled up it released and slide all the way out. I do not know where to get the firewall grommet, looked but they all look different.

DSC00331.JPG

Keyway seats in the top slot and the firewall grommet looks like this original. Tried Steele Rubber and nothing on the grommet and I am not sure if there is one on the inside firewall Thanks

DSC00328.JPG

DSC00334.JPG

• Like 1