Great Sadness and Respect

it is with great  sadness and respect that  "The Old Guy"(here on the forum) aka Joe Taubitz BCA #3108 till his resignation in 2009 and Buick Driving Enthusiast #1 went to the big garage on January 5, 2020. Here's the obituary. http://www.sharpfuneralhomes.com/notices/Joe-Taubitz

Suggestion for tribute http://sloanlongway.org/adopt-a-car-listing/ Buick Bug 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I know you and Joe were close and dear friends Roberta so please accept my and Rita's condolences on his passing. Regrettably I never met him in person but did see him driving the Bug around and smiling ear to ear in '03. Sad news indeed. 

Couldn't get the above link to work for me so in case others have problems, try this

https://www.sharpfuneralhomes.com/notices/Joe-Taubitz

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Joe was a fine man, whom I had the great pleasure of meeting at the Buick Centennial in 2003.  I found him to be a tremendous help as I sought additional information regarding that once-in-a-lifetime event.  

Joe was absolutely one of the guys who made the BCA a great organization.

Original link not working,

try this one:

https://www.sharpfuneralhomes.com/notices/Joe-Taubitz

My condolences to Joe’s loved ones. 
Mahler had for some time discussed contracting a modest run of differential Ring & Pinion gears for 1934/1935 Buick 50 Series cars. These cars typically came with a 4.88:1 differential ratio. The plan was to machine a more highway-friendly ratio, something in a ratio of 3.330:1 or 3.55:1, and had even considered 3.08:1 ( sane as offered in a 1958 Chevy  with Turboglide🥴).

Joe’s knowledge and ability of recall were a blessing and he will be missed.

Edited by Marty Roth
Typo, and added comments (see edit history)

I am sorry to hear that Joe has passed.  I never met Joe in person but he helped me solve a difficult problem with my '40 Buick Roadmaster when I posted it in the Buick forum.  He had a wealth of knowledge on old Buick's.   

Very sorry to learn of this. Tons of admiration and respect for Joe. I was very disappointed when he left the BCA; but always looked forward to his posts and opinions. Thanks for posting this sad news Roberta.

• Like 1

Roberta, Joe was one of the great ones, and I like your idea about a memorial to him by sponsoring the Buick Bug at the Sloan.  After all, it was Joe that was behind getting the Bug out of storage and running for the First BCA National Meet in Flint, 1971.

How about "we" split the $1000 cost 4 ways between the BCA, BDE, Buicktown Chapter, and the Buick Heritage Alliance.  A fitting tribute from all.  I'm pretty sure the BDE and Buicktown Chapter would go with this, not sure about the BCA and BHA, but worth a try.  After all, Joe was the only BCA member to attend all of the National Meets from 1971-2003 (and maybe beyond).  What do you think?

I've attached a couple of photo's of Joe and the Bug at the 1971 meet.  Probably not a lot of members left that were there.

38 - Copy.jpg

36.jpg

• Like 1

For those friends of Joe's that could not be there, I've posted a few photo's (provided by Dan Bower) from Joe's funeral service.  The service was well attended by friends and family, with many of Joe's favorite Buicks in the procession.  Lots of good "Joe" stories told by family and friends.  One display that stood out was a map of the U.S. with pins showing where Joe (along with friends and family) had traveled over the years in his Buicks.  I don't think that feat could be matched by anyone else.  Joe always said that "Buicks were meant to be driven", and he meant what he said.  Joe led a full and interesting life, and will be missed by many.

Joe 1.jpg

Joe 2.jpg

Joe 3.jpg

Joe 4.jpg

Joe 5.jpg

Joe 6.jpg

Joe 7.jpg

Joe 8.jpg

Joe 9.jpg

Joe 10.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have several entities and private individuals that have committed to donating to the Sloan Museum's adopt a car. We are adopting the Buick Bug in memory of Joe Taubitz. If you are interested in contributing please contact me at buickracer@comcast.net .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Joe was the first man I met in the Buick Club. It was at the BDE meet in Deadwood SD and I was driving my 1970 GSX and he came right up and introduced himself and then had to show me the 455 in his 1957 Buick. He was a great guy and always there to help if you needed it. I was so happy I had the chance to help him once after all he did. We were on our way home from the BDE meet we had in Ontario Canada and saw the Coupe De Grape on the side of the road. He had ran out of gas because the gas gauge didn't work and he had a small gas can but the car still wouldn't start. Of course he had a tow rope in the trunk and we hooked my 58 Buick Special to his 1938 Coupe and pulled him about 10 miles to the next gas station. He will be greatly missed.