Gilmore Car Museum - Congress of Motor Cars (Rescheduled to Oct 2-3)

Stude Light

With everyone starting to plan their car events at the beginning of the year, I figured it was a perfect time to add in the Congress of Motorcars Tour, Show and Swap Meet at the Gilmore Car Museum in May (Now October). This was previously called the Donald Gilmore Classic which started in 2016 and has been a great event for the pre-War crowd. Each year the tour has taken the participants to a number of interesting sites and the show has been a lot of fun in a great setting, so put it on your calendar this year and help keep this event going strong.

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/event-detail/congress-of-motorcars-new-date/?glm_event_from=2020-10-02

From the website (7/24/20 Update):

The Congress of Motorcars Show and Swap Meet features vehicles produced in 1942 and earlier, just like the cars museum founder, Donald Gilmore, was known for collecting. Only original stock vehicles will be eligible to participate, no modified or hot rod style vehicles please. The show weekend will include:

Friday, October 2nd - Driving Tour
Saturday, October 3rd - Show Day (this is the day with all the vintage activities and car show)

On Saturday, October 3rd see early gas, steam and electric autos, take a ride in an antique car, and discover autos normally only seen on static display actually driving around the historic campus! An award ceremony will be held at 3:00pm and will honor the Oldest Vehicle, Best Vintage Attire (best period attire worn by a vehicle's owner), plus two very special awards - a Preservation Award for the best unrestored original car, Best of Show and Gilmore Award.

Activities will also take place throughout the day, including demos including STEAM CARS, and very early cars, a whimsical Gilmore 1 - 2 cylinder Motor Challenge and a Pass in Review parade.

Spectator Admission:
$16.00 per person
$11.00 for children 11-17
FREE for children 10 and under

Exhibitor Admission: $10/vehicle, includes participation in Friday's driving tour as well as admission for 2 people with vehicle for Saturday show. Exhibitor gate opens at 7:30am.

A few shots from last year....at the Diner was just after the Friday tour and grabbing some food.  The other two are during the Saturday pass in review.

20190517_163728.thumb.jpg.5c0f5a4daa54cb53f213426198b96dfb.jpg20190518_141616.thumb.jpg.f3fb2ef214c0397438ac132b77a2d3fa.jpg20190518_142030.thumb.jpg.d4f14a8fd36b635129d749fb97a1adb5.jpg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I attended the show last May and had a great time.

From the Baker Electric car - to the Cole's and the Stanley Steam cars, I thought it was an excellent show.

I always love the Gilmore Car Museum. I took the model T Driving School class a few years ago too. Learned a lot.

Hope to be there again this year.

Bill

• Like 1

I too always attend this event. It is a really great show. Probably the best photo ever taken of me and my '26 Touring was snapped by master photographer John Lacko along the route last year. I plan to take at least one of my cars to the event.  The photo below with the top up was taken on the grounds a couple years ago. You will not be disappointed in this event!

Eric

Gilmore tour.jpg

Gilmore 26.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent event and my son and I will be attending again this year for the tour and the weekend show.  It is not just a show either as you can drive around the campus, participate in car games, and see lots of demos.  My son loved driving the 1923 Cole giving people rides all day on the Saturday.  I highly recommend attending this weekend event!

IMG_2264.jpg

• Like 1

i WILL CERTAINLY BE THERE. I SPEND A LOT OF TIME AT GILMORE AS I HAVE BEEN AN INSTRUCTOR IN THE MODEL T DRIVING COURSE FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS. I FINALLY GOT MY MODEL T PAINTED LAST WINTER AND IT LOOKS GREAT NOW.  THE PICTURES SHOW MY GRAY FORDOR ALONG WITH A CANADIAN FORDOR THAT MY SON-IN-LAW AND I RESTORED WITH HELP FROM ERIC MacLEOD.  MY SON-INLAW LATER BOUGHT IT FROM ME.

Jim Brand

1926 Model T Fordor

1984 Zimmer project

20190706_133058.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JIM BRAND said:

i WILL CERTAINLY BE THERE. I SPEND A LOT OF TIME AT GILMORE AS I HAVE BEEN AN INSTRUCTOR IN THE MODEL T DRIVING COURSE FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS. I FINALLY GOT MY MODEL T PAINTED LAST WINTER AND IT LOOKS GREAT NOW.  THE PICTURES SHOW MY GRAY FORDOR ALONG WITH A CANADIAN FORDOR THAT MY SON-IN-LAW AND I RESTORED WITH HELP FROM ERIC MacLEOD.  MY SON-INLAW LATER BOUGHT IT FROM ME.

Jim Brand

1926 Model T Fordor

1984 Zimmer project

20190706_133058.jpg

That '26 Fordor (in red) was fun to work on. It will be nice to see it again.

I am thinking I may take my Fordor over as well.

fordor 1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I got word that the Congress of Motorcars is cancelled for May 15-17.  The organizers at the Gilmore Car Museum are working on a new scheduling of events for 2020 and will hopefully announce a new date for this event soon.  There is a virtual car show this weekend though.....

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/event-detail/gilmore-car-museums-1st-virtual-car-show/?glm_event_from=2020-04-11

1 hour ago, real61ss said:

Wish AACA would hold another National at the Gilmore

My brother and I attended the 2007 Grand National at the Gilmore and had a really great time.

Could have easily spent more time in the many buildings on the property.

Might be worth another trip if the region out there is up to host another one. <Hint, Hint>  😁😁

• 2 weeks later...

The Gilmore Museum has rescheduled this to October 2-3, 2020.  While it was nice they didn't cancel this altogether, August would have been a lot better plan vs October, especially due to the number of open cars that participate.  I guess they had to work it into their schedule.

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/event-detail/congress-of-motorcars-new-date/?glm_event_from=2020-10-02

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I verified today (7-23-20) that the great folks at the Gilmore Car Museum are still planning on having both, the Friday Tour and Saturday Show for the Congress of Motor Cars in October.  Show is limited to 500 cars - that is a lot but, hey, they have 90 acres of space to fill (7800 sq ft of space per car). With everything else being cancelled this year, I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Scott

1447440065_Gilmorecampus.thumb.JPG.3642b48daeefff0d773a0a2a20b00a28.JPG

• 1 month later...

Larry & Joyce Schramm told us about this great event and now, Julie & I are planning to attend with our 1923 Cadillac coupe.

We are very much looking forward to the event; the Gilmore is a treasure!

Edited by 95Cardinal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest Mark McAlpine

Congratulations, Joe, on your 1958 Buick Century Caballero winning the 2019 Zenith Award!  It's a beautiful car.

12 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Congratulations, Joe, on your 1958 Buick Century Caballero winning the 2019 Zenith Award!  It's a beautiful car.

Thanks, Mark!

It was great speaking with you and Marion at Gettysburg. Hope to see you both on the road here in Michigan soon!

Joe

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 4/6/2020 at 8:11 PM, real61ss said:

Wish AACA would hold another National at the Gilmore

I'm working on it, Tommy (with help from Scott & Lisa Pickard from the Irish Hills Region in Michigan).  It's just been difficult to make much progress from three states away with the restrictions in place this summer and not being able to travel to Michigan to speak with people face-to-face.  I hope to make some progress this fall/winter as things ease up a bit.  The two major challenges to a show at the Gilmore are the lack of an AACA region or hotel near it.

I'm also working on holding a Nationals somewhere in the metropolitan Detroit area sometime in 2023 or 2024.  Unfortunately, the same impediments to travel have limited my progress on this, but I'm hopeful I'll make some headway before the Annual Convention in February.  I'm really hoping I can make this show happen because of the many great car-related activities we could organize for members to see and do.  Think visits to Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford museum, the Piquette Avenue Plant, GM Heritage Museum, Sloan Museum, R.E. Olds Museum, Packard Proving Grounds, maybe even the Chrysler collection (which is closed to the public, but I'm hopeful), Stahls Automotive Foundation, a truck assembly plant, etc.  The lack of an AACA region in the metropolitan Detroit area means that AACA HQ will probably have to host the show (as we do in Auburn).

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 8/31/2020 at 11:56 AM, Eric Wahlberg said:

I'm assuming there will be a sufficient supply of AGN plaques at Hershey for those of us who didn't get one in Gettysburg.  

Yes, members with vehicles on the Grand Nationals show field in Gettysburg who did not receive a dash plaque (because they didn't drive through the entrance to the show field where AACA President Jim Elliott was handing them out) can contact AACA HQ and 1) request to pick up a dash plaque at the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey; 2) request someone else attending the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey pick up the dash plaque for them; or 3) write AACA HQ to request a dash plaque, enclose a self-address stamped envelope, and a dash plaque will be mailed to you.  (This info is posted elsewhere in the Forum under the "gettsyburg grand nats" thread.)

Updated 2 Sep:  Pat Buckley at AACA HQ just posted (under "gettysburg grand nats") that members may also call AACA HQ and they will mail your dash plaque to you for $5.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Updated options for obtaining dash plaque from Grand Nationals (see edit history)

Just because there isn't an active region near the Gilmore doesn't mean we couldn't start one...or rather restart the region.  I'll be seeing Stude Light this evening and maybe we can talk about it for a few. There have to be plenty of us. I only live 20 miles away from Gilmore and my T got its first Grand National there. Great place for a show.

Guest Mark McAlpine
9 hours ago, ericmac said:

Just because there isn't an active region near the Gilmore doesn't mean we couldn't start one...or rather restart the region.  I'll be seeing Stude Light this evening and maybe we can talk about it for a few. There have to be plenty of us. I only live 20 miles away from Gilmore and my T got its first Grand National there. Great place for a show.

That's a great idea, Eric!  Please let me know if there's anything I, Chester Robertson (VP Region Development & Support for the Central Division), or Fred Trusty (VP Membership) can do to help you if you decide to establish a region or chapter near the Gilmore.  (Regions need a minimum of 15 members--including spouses/significant others--and chapters need 5.  You can align a chapter with one of the regions closest to Hickory Corners.)  I'd also appreciate any suggestions you have or any help you & your friends can provide as we try to organize the show.