Cadillac V-16 Collection

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

will be incredibly interesting to see where the prices go.............................

is this market dead or on the rebound?????????????

Market is just fine for anything SUPER well restored matched to drivable/tourable, Convertibles, things you can take to Concours events, things that will win Concours events, certain sports cars, and a few other exceptions - these cars have always had an appreciating market and always will. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Hard to say anything general about "the market" as a whole. Some segments continue to be strong (high-end Full Classics, European sports cars) while others are suffering (Model A Fords, anything with 4-doors and a top that doesn't go down). The best way to think about the market is to imagine who the buyers might be. If the buyer is a recession-proof guy for whom a 6-figure purchase is pocket change, that market will remain strong. If it's everyone else who has to pick their purchases carefully and/or borrow to make it happen, there's quite a bit less activity. I'm already seeing things slowing down because gas prices are about to spike and wars always make consumers very nervous.

In short, big money will always buy the good stuff regardless of circumstances, and everything else is dependent on the availability of cheap credit and confidence in the future health of the economy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Hard to say anything general about "the market" as a whole. Some segments continue to be strong (high-end Full Classics, European sports cars) while others are suffering (Model A Fords, anything with 4-doors and a top that doesn't go down). The best way to think about the market is to imagine who the buyers might be. If the buyer is a recession-proof guy for whom a 6-figure purchase is pocket change, that market will remain strong. If it's everyone else who has to pick their purchases carefully and/or borrow to make it happen, there's quite a bit less activity. I'm already seeing things slowing down because gas prices are about to spike and wars always make consumers very nervous.

In short, big money will always buy the good stuff regardless of circumstances, and everything else is dependent on the availability of cheap credit and confidence in the future health of the economy.

Cheap credit ? I cannot imagine buying an classic car on credit .Down here in Europe i don't know anybody who will buy a serous classic car on credit .As we all know  when a war breaks out or another big disaster happens your classic  car is worthless but you have keep on paying your loan .Would be a nightmare for me .

Sidenote:  In addition to what has already been said, some of the good looking matched to driveable under 20K market is doing well too - allows people to get into something decent at a fairly affordable price. That being said though, for a dealer this stuff tends to be "pain in the ass" - you would think people are buying gold with a magnifying glass (ie the car is affordable, but many of the people still cannot afford). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Sidenote:  In addition to what has already been said, some of the good looking matched to driveable under 20K market is doing well too - allows people to get into something decent at a fairly affordable price. That being said though, for a dealer this stuff tends to be "pain in the ass" - you would think people are buying gold with a magnifying glass (ie the car is affordable, but many of the people still cannot afford). 

I used to get extremely frustrated with the guys buying these "affordable" cars. They need a LOT more hand-holding than the bigger, more expensive purchases. One guy, buying a garden-variety $7000 1967 Imperial, made THREE separate trips to see it (from Canada!) before he could finally convince himself that it was OK to buy. I have a 1962 Rambler convertible right now that's a nice little car for $12,900--probably the nicest of its kind for whatever that's worth--and I've had perhaps 20 people come to see it, all of whom spent hours and hours poking in every nook and cranny and none of whom felt it was good enough to justify a $12,000 bill. We get it out, put it on the lift, put gas in it, clean it up again after the test drive, put it away again. Twenty. Times. They're also the guys who complain loudest when something goes wrong. Burned out brake light bulb? You'd better believe they want me to pay someone to replace it for them instead of spending the $1.79 to do it themselves.

Then Melanie pointed out that guys at that price level are scraping together every penny the have just to make the purchase and if it goes wrong, they have no safety net to pay for an oil change, let alone an engine rebuild. Guys at the higher end, well, whatever the price is, it's little more than pocket change to them. Nobody's raiding their kid's college fund to buy a six-figure car. But the guy buying that Rambler is shaking every piggy bank in the house to get the pennies together. That knowledge made me a little more tolerant, although I'm still loathe to deal in sub-$20,000 cars simply because of the hassles with buyers. Sometimes money just isn't green enough and the margins suck no matter what. It's like taking a pay cut every time I list an "affordable" car.

• Like 5

I used to get extremely frustrated with the guys buying these "affordable" cars. They need a LOT more hand-holding than the bigger, more expensive purchases. One guy, buying a garden-variety $7000 1967 Imperial, made THREE separate trips to see it (from Canada!) before he could finally convince himself that it was OK to buy.

The amount of money you have determines how you experience life.
My grandfather lived through the depression, they only had meat on Friday, that was all they could afford, rest of the  week was potatoes and bark.
I went to college four years, when I got out I could not find a decent job and had to take any job.  In November, December 1978, no money, no job, friend gave me a bedroom, bought food, paid bills because he cared.
Life is good now, I have some money, lots of toys, I remember what is was like and think about it on occasion.

Then Melanie pointed out that guys at that price level are scraping together every penny the have just to make the purchase and if it goes wrong, they have no safety net to pay for an oil change, let alone an engine rebuild. Guys at the higher end, well, whatever the price is, it's little more than pocket change to them. Nobody's raiding their kid's college fund to buy a six-figure car. But the guy buying that Rambler is shaking every piggy bank in the house to get the pennies together.

Melanie has wisdom and you are fortunate to have her.

Edited by 1950panhead
x (see edit history)

2 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

Cheap credit ? I cannot imagine buying an classic car on credit .Down here in Europe i don't know anybody who will buy a serous classic car on credit .As we all know  when a war breaks out or another big disaster happens your classic  car is worthless but you have keep on paying your loan .Would be a nightmare for me .

I've always said borrow some money and buy a better car.  If you buy a crappy car for less money or worse yet a project you will spend alot more to have the nicer car you could have bought for 10 to 20 G more and not had to do all the work.  I could have bought a Hudson Pickup in rough shape for 5G.  Then spent the next several years trying to restore it,  if I even had the time much less money and finding chrome bits is near impossible and good ones come at a premium,  so I spend more than I want to,  even if it means borrowing money and ended up with a vehicle that is 10X better than that heap of parts for 5 some are trending around 10G and need everything still.  At 17 I have this truck.   So while it may not be a sound financial idea if you are only thinking investment and the world going to pot tomorrow,  you actually come out much further ahead.  Figure in the interest over time and what did it cost in the end.  I was lucky enough to have the extra money,  but on the first several old cars I bought when I was young I borrowed money on a personal loan and bought better cars.  Not big money.  The most I think was 7500.  Paid it back in a couple of years. 

IMG_0569.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I used to get extremely frustrated with the guys buying these "affordable" cars. They need a LOT more hand-holding than the bigger, more expensive purchases. One guy, buying a garden-variety $7000 1967 Imperial, made THREE separate trips to see it (from Canada!) before he could finally convince himself that it was OK to buy. I have a 1962 Rambler convertible right now that's a nice little car for $12,900--probably the nicest of its kind for whatever that's worth--and I've had perhaps 20 people come to see it, all of whom spent hours and hours poking in every nook and cranny and none of whom felt it was good enough to justify a $12,000 bill. We get it out, put it on the lift, put gas in it, clean it up again after the test drive, put it away again. Twenty. Times. They're also the guys who complain loudest when something goes wrong. Burned out brake light bulb? You'd better believe they want me to pay someone to replace it for them instead of spending the $1.79 to do it themselves.

Then Melanie pointed out that guys at that price level are scraping together every penny the have just to make the purchase and if it goes wrong, they have no safety net to pay for an oil change, let alone an engine rebuild. Guys at the higher end, well, whatever the price is, it's little more than pocket change to them. Nobody's raiding their kid's college fund to buy a six-figure car. But the guy buying that Rambler is shaking every piggy bank in the house to get the pennies together. That knowledge made me a little more tolerant, although I'm still loathe to deal in sub-$20,000 cars simply because of the hassles with buyers. Sometimes money just isn't green enough and the margins suck no matter what. It's like taking a pay cut every time I list an "affordable" car.

Those people who come to see that rambler are coming because it not expensive and in fact they know before they leave home that they will not buy it as in a rambler you cannot be the star at your local neighborhood or next show .And they search and search untill they find a reason not to buy it .

For a lot of people the watching of other people's cars and searching for a bargain is the hobby, not the possession of a car with its risks and costs associated with ownership.

I have a colleague, a nice guy, friendly and generous, who is looking for a 56 Chevy Bel Air in triple black since many years ( I know him for 7), who wants to spend max 30k, but expects an excellent car with a much better engine than stock and at least 300 HP, brake conversion etc. You can fabricate your dream car in your fantasies, but maybe it has never been built or your price target is totally unreasonable. That's just another thing I have observed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I think Melanie has nailed it when she identified reason the "affordable " cars are so difficult to sell.  I have been trying to sell a car in the affordable range for the last 6 months and have come to realize that this would be a tremendous purchase for many of the lookers I met. Convincing the family that buying a hobby car that is worth a significant percentage of the value of the house can be a tough sale indeed. 

Edited by ericmac
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Correct, and I understand and have tolerance too, but some of it is pretty ridiculous and the truly ridiculous ones are the ones trying to fool me that it is something else than their ability to afford. Also, the dreamers who really should not even own a new car off the showroom floor ans they have no clue about maintenance or ...  And the ones who do not know something good is right in front of them.  And the ....

On 1/8/2020 at 7:35 PM, Hans1965 said:

For a lot of people the watching of other people's cars and searching for a bargain is the hobby, not the possession of a car with its risks and costs associated with ownership.

I have a colleague, a nice guy, friendly and generous, who is looking for a 56 Chevy Bel Air in triple black since many years ( I know him for 7), who wants to spend max 30k, but expects an excellent car with a much better engine than stock and at least 300 HP, brake conversion etc. You can fabricate your dream car in your fantasies, but maybe it has never been built or your price target is totally unreasonable. That's just another thing I have observed. 

Yes, lots of dreamers out there too who have no idea of really anything behind the ownership of a car via maintenance and .... 

On 1/8/2020 at 7:35 PM, Hans1965 said:

Boy, that's true. I had a guy call about the Rambler a few days ago and he wanted to make that 60-year-old Rambler his daily driver because it's all he can afford and thought it would be more interesting than a used Hyundai. No reason why not, I suppose, but I'm not so sure I'd want to be in that car dicing with 80 MPH truck traffic in Atlanta and I told as much. Manual top, manual steering, manual brakes, no A/C--all that was a surprise to him. No clue at all about how an old car was different than a new car or how a car with 100 horsepower might be problematic in high-speed traffic.

Maybe I should stop trying to talk people out of being stupid and just take their money. They're adults, they can live with the results of their own decisions, right?

001.thumb.JPG.ec90f21c374f916eab35adc6c9918f33.JPG

• Like 2

You are not the only one that has talked guys out of buying cars Matt.  I have talked several guys out of even coming to look at the cars as no sense in wasting their or worst yet my time , if I know they aren't going to buy it.  I ask some questions while they are asking mine and I can usually tell how interested they really are and what they expect.  It's nice when you know a guy is coming and is most likely going to take it,  unless he finds something that even you yourself after working on it for a year missed.  I seem to find that every one that usually does come to look at my cars is the one authority in the world that knows every thing about that particular make and everything that might not be 100 percent correct.  Mind you I have never had a # 1 car or probably even a full on two.  Maybe a 2- or 3 +, and never advertised them as any more than they were. 

Nice picture! Better you educate the people I guess. It is so easy to get sued in the US!!! Maybe you should consider to offer courses for newbies in the classic car hobby for people genuinely interested but having absolutely no idea about it. 😁 Everybody started it once with no clue at all. At least me!!! 😩

I’m not a dealer, but over the last number of decades have bought and sold over 200 cars.  A LOT of times, I’ve politely told people to leave, that the car wasn’t what they wanted so no use discussing further.

This statement is usually preceded by a lengthy diatribe by the fellow looking at the car about all the things wrong with it.  In one case, selling a mid-80’s Porsche cabriolet, the diatribe was accompanied with two legal size pages, single spaced, of defects, each having a dollar deduction from asking price.

In an interesting twist, I can think of two times that, after being told to leave, the would-be buyer immediately agreed to buy the car.  The Porsche was one of them.

I’m not as experienced as Matt, but I would say within five minutes of a would-be buyer showing up to look at a car, I knew with at least a 90% certainty whether the fellow was going to buy the car.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You are not the only one that has talked guys out of buying cars Matt.  I have talked several guys out of even coming to look at the cars as no sense in wasting their or worst yet my time , if I know they aren't going to buy it.  I ask some questions while they are asking mine and I can usually tell how interested they really are and what they expect.  It's nice when you know a guy is coming and is most likely going to take it,  unless he finds something that even you yourself after working on it for a year missed.  I seem to find that every one that usually does come to look at my cars is the one authority in the world that knows every thing about that particular make and everything that might not be 100 percent correct.  Mind you I have never had a # 1 car or probably even a full on two.  Maybe a 2- or 3 +, and never advertised them as any more than they were. 

Every time I look at a Cord you should hear the complaining that dad does - painful.  Interestingly, he also says if anyone can handle it would be me. 

9 minutes ago, trimacar said:

A LOT of times, I’ve politely told people to leave, that the car wasn’t what they wanted so no use discussing further.

Yep, been there done that. 

Anymore, when people start to use the negatives as a negotiation factor, I have been sending them packing more and more.

By the way, I helped friends buy a 1960's Citroen this week - they have never owned a collector car before, but they are incredibly personable couple matched to a great group of friends, looking at this as an adventure - "Oh, The Places You'll Go",  realistic that it will need plenty of service, and .... 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mercer09 said:

curious eric, as to what other venues you have used to sell your T?

the aaca is a tough sell site.

I have not seen it on the Barn. Is it in Hemmings?

I have used Hemmings, PreWar Car, HCCA, Model T Ford Club International. Model T Ford Club of America and Craigslist . To be honest,  I forgot all about the Ford Barn. Maybe I will try them. Thanks for the idea. I probably should try Facebook too.

Edited by ericmac (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Every time I look at a Cord you should hear the complaining that dad does - painful.  Interestingly, he also says if anyone can handle it would be me. 

John,   a 810/812 is a GREAT car and you would have no problem sorting one out given you have wrestled with a P1 and won.    There are lots of upgrades and tech bulletins to fix original engineering flaws,   and I can tell you my dad drove his from Boston to Auburn twice with zero issues.   The first time in 1968,  he left the day after finishing the restoration and driving it 2 miles for testing.    A blown car MOVES.   I love them.

IMG_2434.JPG

• Like 2

I’m curious.  I bought my first old car at age nine from a Cord enthusiast (he bought some Cord parts and had an old 30’s Dodge and Model A pickup parts as part of a package deal).  Anyway, he drove a supercharged 810 extensively (well sorted - particularly shifting, as compared to others at the time).  He used to say the only difference between a Cord with a super charger and one without below 60mph was that the super charged car stopped at a gas station about twice as much.  I always wondered how much of that was just story.  He also had a story about a guy who was telling his girl friend how obviously fake the external pipes were and proceeded to “prove it”  (he’d recently arrived at a non make specific car show in back in the 70’s, so they were rather toasty), but I digress...

4 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I think this thread has been hijacked X2.

4 hours ago, SparkEE said:

Yes, my apologies.

Aw hey now SparkEE, don't pay it no mind. It's too late for apologies anyway. In order to clear your name, you have already been sentenced to having to tell us more about your first car. Nine years old ? Were you able to get to drive it ? Here : I'll contribute to the drift. Lookie, speaking of Cadillacs, when my kid was but 7, I bought him one. No, it only had half the cylinders of the subject cars, and not "Antique" at the time, much less "Classic", it was a '73. But he did cruise it. Night time was the right time. He would sit on my lap and take advantage of the light traffic density. Not to mention the reduced visibility gave some cover from prying eyes. With the adjustable steering wheel and all the possibilitys of the power seat, we could make it work. Kid could parallel park the barge as well as anyone, too.

O.K., your turn, SparkEE. And don't worry. I mean we all have to talk about something while we nervously fidget and wait for RM Sotheby coming up in a few days. We can and will get back to topic when the time comes. 

Your turn, Spark'. And make it good !     Never had a car until I was 15. And it didn't run.    -    CC 

Ok, remember, you asked...

I grew up in an old car family.  The first time I “drove” was around five when my father needed to move a combine, so he put the truck in gear and hopped out - told me to turn the key off when I got to the edge of the field - I couldn’t reach the pedals and could only see through the gap in between the the top of the dash and the top of the steering wheel.  So by nine, I thought I ought to have my own car.  I fell in love with a ‘39 Dodge that got trailered back from the “big Cord parts deal”  and made a stop off at the farm.  I was informed it could be mine for every dime I’d saved up from working summers to pay for college.  The car needed a total restoration (it had been run for a short distance without oil and one bearing shell - apparently there was a miscommunication between the fellow working on it and the kids returning from school) and the friend of the family who owned it had it up for sale.  When I offered him my savings (pre approved by my parents) he accepted.  Apparently he had to tell the tire kickers that were trying to get it for a cheaper price (free or nearly) that he’d already sold it to a nine year old.  I understand he really enjoyed that.  I learned to rebuild engines by rebuilding that one (with help) - $217 in new parts and machining which added significantly to my total investment, but we had most of the equipment (except getting the crank turned).  Sadly, that is where the love affair ended.  By then I had a beautiful 1932 Plymouth, which has remained one of my most favorite cars.  ...the Dodge will be a project, perhaps for my youngest son. 

I now return the thread to its intended purpose ...or whatever direction it takes.

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)

11 hours ago, SparkEE said:

Yes, my apologies.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  With apologies to George in advance,  threads where someone is trying to sell something or ask a specific question require more forum etiquette.  But any thread that generates interesting conversation is a good thing around here, even if it goes off target.

19 hours ago, SparkEE said:

I’m curious.  I bought my first old car at age nine from a Cord enthusiast (he bought some Cord parts and had an old 30’s Dodge and Model A pickup parts as part of a package deal).  Anyway, he drove a supercharged 810 extensively (well sorted - particularly shifting, as compared to others at the time).  He used to say the only difference between a Cord with a super charger and one without below 60mph was that the super charged car stopped at a gas station about twice as much.  I always wondered how much of that was just story.  He also had a story about a guy who was telling his girl friend how obviously fake the external pipes were and proceeded to “prove it”  (he’d recently arrived at a non make specific car show in back in the 70’s, so they were rather toasty), but I digress...

My opinion on the Cord is the same as the Auburn, but I have spent my time clearly with Auburns - the Supercharger is a near wash as for the power you add you also add drag, but at higher power ranges you get a BOOST.   The only disadvantage to a Auburn (same as Cord) supercharger is that they tried to pre-heat the fuel through them with water and as a result the castings are often bad via water corrosion matched to it is a lot of fast spinning stuff so you have wear - restoration and replacement of the parts are pretty pricey.  That said, you are also usually rewarded on the sale price to justify the restoration costs. 

To get back on track thread wise (always room for some additional frolic and detour though) - a V-16 Cadillac is a magnificent car, but as to drive-ability the 30 an 31 cars are best as to parts and fairly user friendly - the only think I never liked was the fuel delivery via vacuum tank.  The post 1932 cars pretty much use the same engine (with a mechanical fuel pump - advantage), but the parts supply quickly diminishes for everything else drive-train, plus cosmetics.  Then, you get to the Flathead cars in 1938 - 1940 =  lovely cars, but parts supply all the way around is pretty scarce. 

I had a friend on the phone yesterday and we were taking V-16 for a minute - my reply was with the 1934, that I could call Brian Joseph as Classic and Exotic (now owned by Tim and called Straight Eight) and one way or another have the car back on the road usually within a week time (longest was two weeks) - sometimes, I was back on road in a day or two. 

I drove a 37 Convertible Sedan quite extensively a few years back. I found the car very powerful but the steering was heavy to a point of being painful.  I have driven a 30 roadster but only briefly but found it much better from a handling perspective.  Maybe it was related to the 30simply being a better sorted car.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  With apologies to George in advance,  threads where someone is trying to sell something or ask a specific question require more forum etiquette.  But any thread that generates interesting conversation is a good thing around here, even if it goes off target.

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

I think this thread has been hijacked X2.

maybe x 10

Im as much a culprit and sorry about that George

wasnt at all intentional..

Hey, don't apologize & don't worry about it. I merely made an observation. I'm fully aware of threads going off on a tangent. With this particular one, I thought there would have been more about the cars from people who knew them or the owner.