Gunsmoke

1931 Chrysler CD8 Deluxe Royal Coupe on eBay

Posted (edited)

great looking car, but really doubt it will sell. There is a 31 Auburn that has been listed 3x and cant make 20k. Much nicer condition and a suicide door vicki.

Mercer09 , If you are referring to the cream 31 Auburn with plum colored fenders listed at $ 38,500 on this forum what do you think that car has over this Chrysler? I am curious?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Auburn-8-98A-/153770334556?hash=item23cd6d195c%3Ag%3AJC8AAOSwKc5dvXu4&nma=true&si=ySj2mdoCuZeaI80Pj79KgEB71js%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
This 31 Auburn bid to $17k, did not meet reserve, he wanted $38k.
I like the Chrysler.

31Auburn.jpg

Edited by 1950panhead
x (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, 1950panhead said:

ME TOO.. Ive had Auburns. 1931 sedan 32 sedan and a 32 Phaeton sedan. Neat cars and run great but they are not the quality of the Chrysler. (In my opinion)

38 Seems like alot of money for that sedan.  YEs it's a 2 not 4 door but it's still a sedan.  If I had 38 G and was looking I would borrow the extra and buy an open car. 

The Chrysler is a different story I like Auburns but would take the Chrysler over the Auburn.  Especially if I had my choice at the same money. 

yes Mike, only point is that neither will sell.

soft market here.......... these arent v 12's or 16s.............

I know you wouldnt pay what either one wants and neither would I.

I also would be concerned about the wood in the Chrysler. doubt it has ever been touched..................

13 minutes ago, mikewest said:

ME TOO.. Ive had Auburns. 1931 sedan 32 sedan and a 32 Phaeton sedan. Neat cars and run great but they are not the quality of the Chrysler. (In my opinion)

Auburns are basically assembled cars.   The lesser build quality is very evident if you have a Packard or Pierce Arrow parked next to one and sit in both.   What Auburn doesn't have in build quality they made up for in cool factor.  Very nice styling and neat features, especially on the later 851/852 cars.

the auburn is down to 29k on ebay now............ still not going to sell.

lots of choices out there. few buyers. many dreamers...............................................................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

I also would be concerned about the wood in the Chrysler. doubt it has ever been touched..................

The most wood in the car is around the roof opening and rear window opening. Not really a big concern on this car.

• Like 4

The Chrysler is a better road car than the Auburn and far better engineering in my humble opinion. OK....I AM biased, but the Chryslers were way ahead of the game when it came to reliability.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, mercer09 said:

the auburn is down to 29k on ebay now............ still not going to sell.

lots of choices out there. few buyers. many dreamers...............................................................

Auburn - 29K is probably a little too high and 17K is definitely too low - while a closed car, Auburn's are a little different via very active club and huge group of fans matched to the cars being very roadworthy  - just takes a while for word to spread and .... - A dreamer will figure out what it takes if they truly want a car and I see it happen at least every other week (if you want one it is a pretty dangerous game to believe you are the only one in the crowd that is willing to step up to the plate  - "snooze you loose" comes to mind as an expression). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, keiser31 said:

The most wood in the car is around the roof opening and rear window opening. Not really a big concern on this car.

An earlier Auburn is NOT a 1934-1936 - the earlier cars are entirely wood structured and they used Poplar (and as a result it is lucky any Auburn pre-34 survived other than they were good looking and ....).

A 34-36 also has wood, though in a phaeton it is for tack strips only, a Cabriolet has wood in the rear tub, and a Sedan has upper body wood, but all the cars have steel lower body frame sills. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Auburns are basically assembled cars.   The lesser build quality is very evident if you have a Packard or Pierce Arrow parked next to one and sit in both.   What Auburn doesn't have in build quality they made up for in cool factor.  Very nice styling and neat features, especially on the later 851/852 cars.

As to assembled cars - yes, Auburns are assembled cars, but they owned or had financial interests in probably 80% plus of the suppliers matched to few of the parts interchanging with anything else, so technically I would not consider them really assembled cars in the true sense of other 20's/30's "Assembled" cars.. 

And, yes Auburn's are perhaps Buick quality (if that), but that is also the joy in them - in cost cutting and making a cheaper car they also made the car lighter, more simple, and that matched to a decent powerplant gives you a great road car that looks really good too. 

Sidenote:  35/36 Aluminum cylinder heads, any year Lycoming casting quality, 32-36 Columbia two-speed axles and ... do take some mechanical smarts and pocket change. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, John_Mereness said:

Not a 1934-1936 - the earlier cars are entirely wood structured and they used Poplar (and as a result it is lucky any Auburn pre-34 survived other than they were good looking and ....).

A 34-36 also has wood, though in a phaeton it is for tack strips and ..., a Cabriolet has wood in the rear tub, and a Sedan has upper body wood, but all the cars have steel lower body frame sills. 

I think what Keiser was referring to was on the Chrysler, the car contained very little wood. The 31 Chrysler only contains wood where interior trim pieces need to be attached, and of course across the top opening. The basic structure of the car was not wood, like a lot of cars in the day, but made of steel.

I know when I slam the door on my 31 Plymouth PA you can tell it has no wood in the body framing. Sounds like slamming the door on a deuce and half truck.  All steel. Nothing to soften the sound. My 31 franklin makes a nice thunk.

• Like 1

I'm no aficionado of the Auburns, other than very much liking their style. But I would suspect that the paint scheme on the one pictured above has to have a negative impact on it's saleability?

3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I'm no aficionado of the Auburns, other than very much liking their style. But I would suspect that the paint scheme on the one pictured above has to have a negative impact on it's saleability?

Well I can say it isn't helping it any at the very least. 

• Like 1

Just checked evilbay, and the coupe is up to 15,200, with 5 days to go.

Earlier post says the reserve is 25K.

I don't think it will make the reserve.

Especially for a "project car".

If I had a spare 25K and had to choose, I would take the red /maroon sedan, as it is a "finished" car.

Heck, that is less than half the price of a new  Lincoln.

Park em side by side and see where the crowd goes.

Just my opinion, the Auburn @ 29K seems to be a kind of "step child" and not a good deal.

Sure glad we got the "31 CG when we did.

Mike in Colorado

Auburn now listed on this site at 28.5

.....................................................................................................going to sell!

Being that Packard Phaeton belly flopped and the seller walked away with about 45 G.  It's going to be a tough sale.  

But is an indication of what could be.  I'll work it like the main stream media does a story.  ;) A little random info that could be evidence not even yet proven and you have a whole story that sounds like an ironclad case in a couple of hours.  Creative writing seems to be more of a requirement toady to be a journalist than being an actual reporter.  I'll make it work for me as well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2020 at 6:53 PM, GregLaR said:

From a dealer perspective, I will tell you via Kermit the Frog's song, "It is not easy being Green" (and surprisingly even people who like Green cars will use Green as a negotiation tool as they know problem upon their sale - and even when Green are popular in time period), White is probably next hardest, then Tan & Browns and Oranges, then Tans/Browns, then "stay around Brown", and then there is a saying that Grey cars do not win major awards (Pebble Beach Concours recently proved that wrong two times, but the cars were truly extraordinary and would have been so in any color).  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:01 AM, mercer09 said:

Surprisingly, not much wood in the Chrysler of this era (enough still but not much), that said it turns out that most decent looking things generally have solid wood - anything weathered though it becomes my first research point. 

On 1/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, auburnseeker said:

38 Seems like alot of money for that sedan.  YEs it's a 2 not 4 door but it's still a sedan.  If I had 38 G and was looking I would borrow the extra and buy an open car. 

The Chrysler is a different story I like Auburns but would take the Chrysler over the Auburn.  Especially if I had my choice at the same money. 

There will always be some step up to get into an Auburn sedan - there has been historically since the Club was initiated (good looking cars of the time matched to drivability, strong Club, fun Club, and ...).

23 hours ago, mercer09 said:

dont think so Randy- one car does not make a market.

But three might.  Those other 2 examples were in a similar price range all sold at auction during the last year.  Either the market is getting soft and I'll get my deal,  or it just means not the place to sell that vintage of Packard,  Especially when you are walking away with 20-24% less than the hammer price. 

Hear that Packard guys looking to sell in the next range.  You have something in this range and are thinking of selling,  let me know before you send it to auction and pay the auction house 24% plus transport fees.  A scratch off lottery ticket may be luckier.