Automobile Engineering book set

Buick35

I have a six volume set of American Automobie Engineerig books given to me by my uncle years ago that were copy righted in 1920,officially 100 years old.Not sure of their value but a lot of neat illustrations. The motorcycle,steam car and electric car sections are fun to read.Greg.

It's actually a pretty common set of books.  $120 is an excellent price (for the seller).

They are often hard to find in good condition, and most sets I've seen have been put together one volume at a time.   

Check evil-bay and you'll see plenty of them available.

Terry

Yes, individuals can be had for less than the $20 each price so a diligent eBay buyer might be able to put together a set for less.  Buying all six at one time is more convenient and would probably bump up the price. They are an interesting read, especially the electrical section with wiring diagrams.

I'll keep my eye our for these books at auto swap meets. I am headed to the massive Oregon swap in the spring. Perhaps I will find a set there. 

As an alternative, the Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia is also a very good book that I own and enjoy. A ton of information. I think mine is 

dated about the mid-40's. I read up and study quite a bit before I tackle a job on my old cars. Reading and learning first, followed by

hands on work. It really helps stuff sink in, and understand truly what is going on.

I used MoToRs repair manuals to supplement the shop manuals for my cars.  Good info in them plus they were written for the independent garage mechanic who might not have access to special factory tools.

24 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I'll keep my eye our for these books at auto swap meets. I am headed to the massive Oregon swap in the spring. Perhaps I will find a set there. 

As an alternative, the Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia is also a very good book that I own and enjoy. A ton of information. I think mine is 

dated about the mid-40's. I read up and study quite a bit before I tackle a job on my old cars. Reading and learning first, followed by

hands on work. It really helps stuff sink in, and understand truly what is going on.

Portland is definitely a good place to find books. { and lots of other things as well } I have bought several books and stacks of old car magazines  there over the years. These days with our lightweight $ I try to buy books in Canada. A $20 book in the U.S. seems to be the same $20 price in Canada but without the hefty exchange added on. I don't know if you ever attend the Costal swap meet in Abbotsford B.C. but there is often a decent selection of books. Original parts are usually  a bit thin at this event especially pre - war but I always seem to find something to make it worth my time attending.

Greg in Canada

Hi Greg, @1912StaverI have been to the Abbotsford Costal Swap Meet. I hope to go again this year. At this point I am unsure of the date. I am in Kamloops and do try to attend the better swaps. I quite enjoyed the Golden Ears VCC chapter swap meet a couple of years ago. It was in Haney. I grabbed some good literature form there too.

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Yes, the Golden Ears event is small but sometimes good deals turn up.  I probably wouldn't drive as far as Kamloops to attend but if it can be combined with something else it would be worth while. Every now and then I have had great luck at Golden Ears, but the last couple of times empty handed. Seller turnout is very weather dependent .

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)